HybridZ

350z internals into a 280zx

Vitaliy

So I have a 2004 350z that I got for parts a cupple years ago with only 45k miles but it was in a garage when the garage cought on fire. Baisicly the car was considered burned because hot ash rained down on the convertible and melted it all over the interior. Before I took off parts the car ran and drove and now it's just sitting at my house. So I am planning on swapping it into a 280zx with all the wiring and everything. Is that possible to do, of so any tips or builds I can reference?

Edited by Vitaliy
Misspelling 280zx

i only know from beeing a 280zx owner that very very little things can switch over from a s30 chassis to a s130 (280zx). i know for v8 swap motor mounts there is different ones for each chassis. if you have good fab skills you could probably make it work but you might be better off with something universal and make your own. like miles said, keep searching here and just google in general and see what you can find. the 280zx is the odd ball chassis and not much is gonna be easy. if you have fab skills like welding mainly, i would say get the motor sitting in the car and see what you can do from there 

16 hours ago, Miles said:

Keep searching and form a plan. Members will be more likely to help once you can lay out a plan.

Ok, thanks for the feedback, ill try to put something together, I have some pictures on the about me page. This is my first build, and I go to WSU so I'm still figuring out a game plan

The engine mounts are different between the S130 and the S30. At least to the block. I had to use the ones off of my S30 when I got the S130 motor. The lean was off, but the mounts from my recollection were in line.

With a welder and angle grinder anything is technically possible. This also isn't a novel thing as it has been done before so leaning more towards a definite in the realm of possibility. Looks like "Z fever" has done one in the past. 

The concern will fall more towards feasibility. Swaps can be fairly involved so planning things out and asking specific questions will get you more mileage over a very broad general situation. 

Personally I would suggest looking for at least a newer transmission if this is a manual swap. The CD001 and CD008 leave a bit to be desired while the CD009 and later are regarded much more for durability and usability. 

Might almost consider a body swap as it would be easier than fabricating mounts and figuring out the rear subframe assuming the wheel base is similar.

Google searched "vq35de 280zx"

See:

Z-Fever VQ35DE swapped 280ZX  post below

Includes videos! 

Z-Fever has a website which includes tech write ups on VQ35 swaps:             www.zfever.com

Looks complex and expensive.

SBC or LS engine swaps into 280Zx cars  have been done and install kits are available.

Edited by Miles