HybridZ

rb26 240z aem infinity cranking no start

mlebherz

hello all! long story short, i have 1973 Z with a rb26 swap using an aem infinity and a wiring specialties harness. no matter what i try i cannot get the motor to fire up on this ecu. it keeps throwing crank timing errors and the timing is all over the place. with the old mine's ecu on the same harness it runs and drives just fine until one day while driving my alt belt snapped taking the CAS pigtail and grounding reference voltage frying the mine's ecu. after fixing the harness now i am stuck trying to figure out the issue with the AEM. so far i have bought a new harness from wiring specialties specifically for the AEM, tried 3 different CAS units, swapped to a ross crank trigger setup (which helped slightly), sent the infinity back to AEM for testing and have pulled out all of my hair. i have a forum open with AEM (https://www.aemelectronics.com/forum/rb26-crank-timing-error-0-1) but have not had any success. maybe someone here has experienced something similar to this with an rb before, i am open to any ideas at this point and appreciate any help i can get! thank you for any input !

• 1 year later...

While cranking dose your scan tool have a reading for pos count,  if not it won’t start.

Usually you don’t have a good ground from trans to engine.  Try making a ground loop wire, and pulling out a trans bolt that has a nut and bolt (bottom) a 3 inch long wire about 10 gauge with an eyelet on each end. Install wire loop with one end on engine side and one on trans side.  As soon as you start cranking you should have a poss count, when you see that it starts.  Paul.  25 yr Nissan master tech.