HybridZ

2JZGTE swap pulleys..how do I keep AC with power steering delete?

280JZFlorida

Is  anyone aware of a replacement pulley for deleting the power steering or another methodology of keeping the AC and not the power steering on a 2jZGTE going into a 1978 280Z. I see plenty of swap pulley systems that delete AC or delete AC and power steering but none that keep the AC and not the power steering.

Pulleys with AC without AC.JPG

I'm pretty inexperienced with serpentine belt systems, but is there any reason this layout wouldn't work?

I think my biggest concern with this is the lack of contact area and tension on the crank pulley, which experiences the most torque against the belt.

Alternatively, you could potentially gut the power steering pump making it into another idler pulley.

ACOnly.JPG.85c42eca4ce5ba51d0aa508010495692.JPG

Edited by ZHoob2004

Thanks ZHoob2004 but I am not sure that is enough contact with the CK or TE. Even the No AC No PS has a quarter of the pulley contacted and that is the least I have seen. I talked to someone that said they custom one off'd an idler pulley to make it work but I have not even seen a picture to submit for custom.

Just a thought, that might actually end up looking good.  Cut the back off of a power steering pump and use the front as an idler.  If the bearing and pulley are designed to take the load in the front it might even be sound, engineering-wise.  Who knows, the back of the pump might even unbolt.

Worst case, it provides the measurements for a fabbed-up idler pulley.

You generally want as much crank contact as possible. Anything that experiences a lot of load you want more belt wrap as well.

I'm running no AC and no power steering which in theory has about a quarter of pulley engagement with tension and it slips on cold starts as an example.

Using the power steering pulley as an idler would be a valid option.

Or building a bracket and moving the AC up to the power steering area would be another.

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2018 at 12:22 PM, NewZed said:

Just a thought, that might actually end up looking good.  Cut the back off of a power steering pump and use the front as an idler.  If the bearing and pulley are designed to take the load in the front it might even be sound, engineering-wise.  Who knows, the back of the pump might even unbolt.

Worst case, it provides the measurements for a fabbed-up idler pulley.

This, kinda...

I know this is an old thread... But for anybody interested, it's really easy to make the pump into a big idler pulley.

What I did was:

1. Take the power steering pump apart and take the impeller, vanes, and fluid channeling bits out. 

2. Put some oil inside to keep the bearings that are used to having power steering fluid on them happy.

3. use RTV to plug the input/output with a piece of safety wire through the upper port to pull out after the RTV cured tor a little vent action.

4. Had some shipping caps laying around to cover the RTV and a pin hole in the top one for the vent.

Could make a small mess later, but I couldn't find any other way to keep the AC but not the PS and still have the belt routed so it would work.