HybridZ

Door lock

Ive seen multiple forums on slamming doors but im hoping someone can help me out with a slightly different issue.  Everytime i close the door, it locks in place....however, everytime I open the door and try to close it again, the spring in the door mechanism doesnt allow the contact point to go back into the full position.   It stops midway thus not allowing me to close the door unless i manually pull up the notch.   Is this something that can be fixed with out replacing the entire mechanism?   Its almost as if the springs are worn out

You're talking about an early S30 - 1970-1976, right?  Not a '77-'78?  The rotating mechanism in the earlies can get sticky over the years and the grease turns solid.  A temporary fix is to lube the rotating mechanism on the outside of the door with some spray lube. Overdo it - turn by hand and release until it rotates smoothly and easily. 

The real fix is to take apart the door, remove the entire mechanism to completely clean and re-lube it before re-installing...

• Like 1

yes its a 71z .  When it goes on the first "click" and I pull the handle, it retracts back al,l the way. But when i do the double click, it doesnt fully retract.  Ive used lubricant all over and it still wont retract all the way.   Almost as if it was the spring.  I guess i should figure out how to remove the entire mechanism, and try re lubing it all

Again, what happens when the lock button is pulled up?

Does the button stay up in the unlocked position?

There is a small torsion spring that keeps the lock button up. If that spring fails the door will always be locked.

https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/108890-door-lock-knob-not-staying-up.html

TORSION SPRING.jpg

Edited by Miles