HybridZ

Cam options 260z

kylerxlaw

Hey guys I have a 74' 260z with round top SU's, I would like to start working on the engine some. I have been reading a lot about cams but I have not came up with a clear option. If someone could point me in the right direction of a good cam that would be awesome. I plan on keeping the bottom end stock. I plan on doing a header and 2/2.5 inch exhaust porting and polishing would not be a problem. If I do find a good cam what other parts should be changed?? Any tips or direction would be great appreciated thanks!

I got my cam and components through Dave Rebello at Rebello racing. 

I supplied a cam for a regrind and rockers and he sent back a fresh ground cam, lash pads, outer springs, and reground rockers for 495 shipped. 

i got his street cam but he has many variants he can suggest. Good luck. 

I did essentially the same thing Kyle just with a different cam (comp 260s-110) and it makes a big difference. All the power in these motors come from the head so it's definitely a good upgrade plus Rebello makes top notch products. I also went with a MSD 6al box which makes the idle and drive noticably smoother, a lightweight flywheel (competition clutch) with all that and the motor work it's such a difference and pretty cheap for the most part

• 9 months later...

Hi - I know this is an old thread, but for anyone interested I too added the comp cams 84-119-6 to a stock 260z engine with dome top SUs, rebuilt E88 head.

The grind number is 252s: Better Torque than OEM (esp ~4K+) but still fairly decent idle.  I’m running SM needles, but a dyno would probably say these are not providing enough fuel and would need tapering. Or just go with DC04 45 carbs.

Couple of other things come to mind:

1.  This cam lets you set both Intake and Exhaust valve lash to .010” which makes it slightly easier. 

2. Adding an electronic ignition, and “hotter coil” and removing the ballast resistor from ignition helped as well.