HybridZ

Gauge Display/Digital Gauges in a 240/260/280 - How to do it?

Max_S

Hi everyone

I'm still planning on my future Z, and since the current plan is to stick a much younger engine from a different manufacturer into the Z without transplanting too much else from the donor it seems like a standalone ECU is the way to go.
Now, as part of the RestoMod I've been playing with the idea of replacing the face-and-needle gauges with one of two digital solutions.
Option one would be round digital gauges, like those made by Intellitronix:
Example
Has anyone here ever used them in a Z?
The other, originally preferred option, would be fully digital gauge displays like those offered by Haltech or Motech:
Haltec.jpg

Problem: The Z comes with individual "cups" for the gauges, and just sticking a big display in front of them would look weird.
Has anyone ever managed to make a display (like this or any other) look somewhat integrated into the dash?
I guess it's possible to "cut back" the gauge-cups a bit, but I wonder what the result would look like.

Thanks in advance,

Max

I've never seen one of those Motec style displays in a Z with the stock dash, only with custom dashes.  It seems it would be quite difficult to integrate it into the stock dash since it is made from one piece molded plastic over soft foam.  To me the S30 dash is an integral part of the style of the car.  Making major changes to it destroys its vintage appeal...but hey, it your car, do what you like. Oh and blue displays and night driving don't mix well, especially for old eyes like mine. Just my $0.02.  Good luck!