HybridZ

What did I buy?

Stokked240z

Hey y'all,

I need some clarification. From what I've read in various forums and conversations & a few google searches. Datsun utilized 2 or 3 versions of the 5 speed for the 280z. Again, from what I've read. It seems as though the later 80-83 version is the more desirable due to it being a close ratio gearbox compared to the earlier versions. And from what I can tell, it doesn't seem as though there is any identification numbers stamped on the transmission. I did read that if the 5 speed has one hanger at the tail end then it's the more desirable version compared to the earlier version which would have two hangers/forks? There was a 4204C label stamped on it, not that this probably helps.

If anyone can tell me which version of the 5 Speed I bought, I'd appreciate it. Did anything that I mentioned above seem to be completely wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Transmission_1.jpg

Transmission_2.jpg

Transmission_3.jpg

It is a close ratio box. The single mount on the left rear of the tail shaft housing is the clue. The gear ratios were the same from 80-83 with the exception of 5th gear. 

1st.-3.062

2nd-1.858

3rd-1.308

4th-1.00

5th-.773,1980

5th-.745, 1981-1983

Edited by bunkhouse