HybridZ

LS swap transmission issues

So I have nearly completed my LS swap. Was having an issue where I could barely shift into each gear. Turns out my shifter linkage was tightened down a bit hard on the shifter. Loosening up the bolt a half turn free'd everything up and it now shifts easily into every gear. 

Decided to take the car out around the block to ensure everything was legit before towing it to the exhaust shop to build the midpipes off of my open headers. 

Found out that even though it smoothly shifts into every gear, Reverse was nowhere to be found. Not that I couldn't go to 5th and pull down to engage where R should be. But when in the R location on the shift pattern, the car would still want to go forward. Every gear turned the driveshaft the same way, no location would spin it the other way, signalling reverse. 

I do not have the wiring for the reverse lights hooked up yet, so I couldn't actually verify that it was absolutely, 100%, in R. But it certainly did feel like I was hitting the correct gear, as 4th was very smooth going into, and when I went 5th to R, it had a slightly more solid feel to the pull down than 4th did. 

I have done what research I could, and found some solutions involving a broken reverse detent. So I lowered the transmission a bit and pulled it out. Everything looked like it was in good working order. 

The only thing I do recall, is that when the transmission was purchased off of Craigslist, the owner had been in the middle of a swap, and the inspection cover on the top had been messed with, only being held on by a few screws. I did remove it completely at one point and the spring held down by it came out. I replaced the spring, but I do not recall a checkball coming out or needing to go back in. 

Is there a possibility that there is no check ball under that spring and that could be the cause of my reverse issues?? Really struggling to understand why my reverse is trying to drive the car forward...

Thanks!

Dumb question, but you didn't happen to install a 6 speed transmission, did you? You mention shifting straight from 5th to "R", but every transmission in 5 ever used won't let you do that without first returning to center.

You also make no mention of what transmission you have, which will make identifying problems damn near impossible for the members that can help you.

1 hour ago, Kunta0908 said:

Found out that even though it smoothly shifts into every gear, Reverse was nowhere to be found. Not that I couldn't go to 5th and pull down to engage where R should be. But when in the R location on the shift pattern, the car would still want to go forward. Every gear turned the driveshaft the same way, no location would spin it the other way, signalling reverse. 

zhoob asks a good question, but your other thread says Z32 transmission.  Are you using one of these, for the 6 speed Z33 trans?

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/collins-adapters-ls-engine-to-350z-370z-vq-6-speed-trans-adapter-plate-with-11-clutch-disc.html

One possibility is that when you pull the lever down from 5th, nothing actually happens internally.  It stays in 5th.  So, does the speed change or RPM drop when you shift in to the mystery gear?  Or do the RPM stay the same?

And, of course, is there another slot, where R should be?

image.png.0f3a9911c87df06bf34ae457d5eafbb8.png

Edited by NewZed

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i went ahead and dropped the transmission. Not an easy task with the LS installed. 

Turns out, using the LOJ shifter adapter, the shifter couldnt travel to the right far enough to hit 5th and R. it was being blocked by what i assumed was the cheap, no name shifter. Went ahead and bought a $100 short shifter from a vendor site and the hole in the bushing is much larger, but aside from that, its the same shifter. Still need to get it installed, but worried i am going to run into the same situation.

Let me tell you how happy i was after dropping the transmission and realizing that it wasnt a transmission issue. Then realizing that there was no way to reinstall while motor was in car. Had to pull the motor, reattach, then reinstall.

Just hoping that I missed something and this shifter will actually fix things