HybridZ

5-Lug conversion - What are the options?

Hello everyone 

As part of my planned 240/260-project I want to do a 5-lug-conversion, to increase the choice of wheels and brakes on the very restricted  German market.

what are good options that let me use the stock chassis (no tube frame car) and as few custom self made  made parts as possible?

I heard that 300ZX-Hubs are a good option, and someone told me that RX7 FD hubs (or even the whole front axle assembly) can be transferred too.

Any other options you heard of/can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Max

Z31 300zx front hubs can be used, but in the rear you'll still need some sort of custom option.

Some people re-drill the rear stub axle to accept 5 studs. Other than that, you're looking at a billet stub axle or some sort of new rear upright to accept a completely different kind of axle (like the Techno Toy Tuning Shortnose R200/R230 rear end swap)

Silvermine motorsports can re-drill your stock stub axles if you send them to them if you can't find someone to do it locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Which wilwood front hub fits?  early mustang is close with the .25" added width over a stock hub- but thats still less track width than a 240/280 hub. F and A body GM will fit if you turn the inner hub down a bit to narrow the width between bearings.

I actually tried a billet gm hub yesterday on a strut and needs about 50 thou to make the outer bearing sit fully on the machined bearing surface, but the offset isnt that great to make it worth doing- 

I have ( i think) z32 front hubs  now and was looking to get a little LESS track width than these have as im trying to put 17 x 8.5 on the car all around and if i get the hub/rotor hat TH. correct then all 4 wheels can have the same BS. I already have the rear fit to what i think is perfect and now working on the fronts. This will have to be custom wheels with 5.75 BS, right now the fronts could use 6" but with the existing Z32TT calipers they have a overhang of 1.5" and thats limiting how much BS i can run to make the wheels fit 

Hubs tried- to compare Track width changes

240z

280zx

z31 penta style bolt on rear rotor face

z32 floater front mount rotor

GM A/F body billet hub

60s Ford 5 lug hub

I have measurements for all the above as far as offset from rotor face to rear of caliper mounting ears-  last to try is a Fox body- i have to bring one from work - 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 1982 280zx with a stock 6.0 ls with a powerglide. The car works great out of the whole but I need to put more power down how can I get this rear end to handle more horse power. If I could get this car to hold about 500 horses out the whole it would be a killer. Some body help me remove these stock axles please. The Z car world has forgotten about the 280zx

Edited by Chopshop280zx

9 hours ago, Chopshop280zx said:

I have a 1982 280zx with a stock 6.0 ls with a powerglide. The car works great out of the whole but I need to put more power down how can I get this rear end to handle more horse power. If I could get this car to hold about 500 horses out the whole it would be a killer. Some body help me remove these stock axles please. The Z car world has forgotten about the 280zx

i have a 280ZX with LS swap that has 400WHP and a 6-speed. i have the stock r-200 with Quaife internals. that has held up flawlessly. there are other options for internals for the r-200 also. that diff should handle it fine.The problem you will have is if you still have universal joint half shafts and then stub axles was the week link i found. Mine beeing a stick shift though is harder on the drivetrain. you might be fine if you just upgrade to 280zxt CV joints and you will have to switch the stub axle companion flange also. (both of which i have that i would sell if you decide to go that route). if you can afford it, i got custom Chromoly stub axles and companion flanges made to switch to 300zxt CV joints (gonna be close to $2k). when im at the drag strip i dump the clutch at 4k RPM and run 11.8's all day. it takes it fine. And yes, the Z car world still does not appreciate the 280zx. There are a few of us going the extra effort to make them work however.

And to keep this on track with this 5-lug conversation topic, shops that are making custom stub axles and custom front hubs are willing to make them 5-lug for you. i found that F-body Camaro wheel studs are almost identical so i bought ARP wheel studs for the Camaro and i run them with my 4-lug set up with no issue

Edited by G-Tech