HybridZ

Best swap for a roadrace car

Import Racer,

The 3s will go anywhere your imagination puts it but, there will be a lot of one off parts and fabrication. Here we can convert them to rear whell drive buy using a tranmission of the back of a 1s engine. This came in Jap import coronas and celicas here. Then you have to make the engine sit straight up and change the oil pumps around to work with its new position. You will then need to fabricate a new exhuast manifold becuase the turbo is right where you will want your engine mounts (of a 1s as well). There is more on this swap here:

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/INDEX.HTM

He used to have something about these swaps, But I didnt seee it just now. Then you need to figure out how to but it im your Z.

Good luck

Douglas

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking if I used the 3S-GTE I would try and use the driveline from the celica alltrac/GT-4 and make it AWD. Dont know if it would work or not but if so that would be real nice. If not I would probably just go with a 1JZ or 2JZ or possibly try the 4G63 swap...but that might be to much trubble than its worth?(?)Maybe ill just have to be a trailblazer and be the first to do the swap I want but it would be nice to do a swap which some one else has done already just to have some steps to follow.

Guest Azel

Bill,

I was wondering what the 4g63 or your hybrid motor would weigh with manifolds? The biggest asset of these four-bangers is the weight so I guess the decision really boils down to which engine/tranny combo is the lightest? It'll be tough to beat the SR20DET or CA18DET weight.

I'm sure they're right there with the SR20DET.

I have no problem lifting the entire head/intake/exhaust manifold ass'y myself. I also have little problems carrying the bottom end ass'y myself either...

I'm *guessing* right around 300-350lbs, but I could be way off. I wouldn't imagine any more than 400 tops.

I'll see if I can find out from people who have shipped the engines

One of the biggest advantage of running a 4g63 or my hybrid is the availability of parts is alot more abundant and it's easier to find upgrades for them here in the US.

Originally posted by awd92gsx:

That's understandable. One day, though, I will definitely be doing the 4G64/4G63 swap (not just a normal 2.0L 4G63, but a 2.4L...)

Bill, can the Mits 2.4 hold up using a turbo. Just curious how much HP can the stock bottom end handle. My wife drives a 97 Galant and my try that project. Do you have any docs on the transplant?

Thanks in Advance,

i have a lot of track time in my 77/81zxt but if i was to do it again i would build a 5.0 ford with aluminum heads.the 5.0 ford is lighter than a zxt engine and can be shoved back into chassis very far back.i have a friend with aa chevy v8 z and it came out heavier in rear and same in front but he built custom motor mounts and runs motor very far back.i can lift and carry a 5.0 block.i cant lift a l28 block.it is much easier getting out of a corner with torque.

Ron,

Actually, the 2.4L is a prime candidate for turbocharging. My Hybrid engine uses the 2.4L bottom end with custom pistons, with the pistons being the only custom item, unless rods are opted for.

The rods in her engine are the same rods that are in the 95-99 Turbo Eclipse (GST and GSX) so they are fit for turbo duty. There are actually quite a few turbocharged 4G64's out there running the stock pistons, however.

Turbocharging her galant is VERY easy. The 4G63T exhaust manifold bolts right onto her engine, as does the 4G63T oil pan. After you get these two pieces you can bolt on your turbo of choice (for that application, I'd run a 2G T25, which can be found for about $100-200 off of the DSMTrader. Just plumb the oil lines off of the oil filter housing, leave off the cooling lines, build up a little bit of piping, run minimum boost and enjoy!!

Originally posted by awd92gsx:

Ron,

Actually, the 2.4L is a prime candidate for turbocharging. My Hybrid engine uses the 2.4L bottom end with custom pistons, with the pistons being the only custom item, unless rods are opted for.

The rods in her engine are the same rods that are in the 95-99 Turbo Eclipse (GST and GSX) so they are fit for turbo duty. There are actually quite a few turbocharged 4G64's out there running the stock pistons, however.

Turbocharging her galant is VERY easy. The 4G63T exhaust manifold bolts right onto her engine, as does the 4G63T oil pan. After you get these two pieces you can bolt on your turbo of choice (for that application, I'd run a 2G T25, which can be found for about $100-200 off of the DSMTrader. Just plumb the oil lines off of the oil filter housing, leave off the cooling lines, build up a little bit of piping, run minimum boost and enjoy!!

Bill,

You make it sound so simple. I'm going to email you for more info if you don't mind.

Much Thanks!

Well, if you look around, you can probably find the 2.4L block cheap cheap. I have found them for as little as $250 (they are very plentiful - about a gazillion Galants and N/T Eclipse Spyders out there).

If you can find a crankwalked 2G engine for around $600 (I've seen them for less even) that has all of the stuff on it, then you have about everything you need...except the pistons...which will run you about $550 with rings.

I've heard the Toyota trannies can be found pretty cheap, around $150 or so...and the bell housing costed around $300 I think.

After that you just have to decide if you want to run a standalone or find an ECU and harness for an Eclipse and run it.

That's part of the beauty of the hybrid.

The Mitsubishi SOHC 2.4L is probably one of the most plentiful engines on the planet. Mitsubishi put them in different vehicles across the world.

The engine block (4G64) is completely compatible with everything made for a 4G63, so rods are easy to obtain, with pistons being the only difference (the 4G64 has a 1.5mm overbore compared to the 4G63. 86.5mm vs. 85mm) Since you are using a 4G63 cylinder head you can use any cams made for it. HKS makes cams for them, Crower, you name it.

I've already bought my L28ET, but, part of me wishes I would have just done it with the hybrid motor instead. I just didn't think about it when I was researching which engine to drop into the Z. I got caught up more in what everybody else had done rather than what I could have tried...oh well, I'm sure my L28ET won't dissapoint and I can always start gathering the parts in the mean time.

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing that needs to be added. You'll have to buy the two cam gears and the new timing belt. If you can find a DOHC 4G64 then you won't need to buy the 2nd engine or any of the extra pieces, with the exception of the turbo manifold, turbo, and turbo oil pan... Just pistons. Drop the pistons in the engine, drop the engine in the car with the addition of the

Guest Thurem

Getting back to the original question in this post, has anybody thought about a BMW M3 engine, they made a cool 4 banger, with about 250 hp back in the eighties. for more power add a turbo. May not be cheap but it would add some coolness factor.

Thure

this thread got me really thinking about doing the sr20det swap instead of hte LT1. I love high revving engines (neon revlimits me to 7600, where the power exists, and the crotchrocket which has 13k redline), but the question is...has anyone on this board done this swap?

how feasable is it? Should seem a tad easier with more room available - only shortcomings are figuring out hte best radiator (camaro one would probably still work) and fabbing custom mounts for the motor and tranny. 4.11 gears probably wouldnt hurt?