HybridZ

so you wanna swap an rb eng? here ya go

stony

Reviving an old post, but Ive been looking at all 9 pages of this sticky and its not exactly as filled with info as expected. I am looking to install and RB25det w/5spd in the S30. I have heard mixed opinons on whats going to happen. Now www.jdmtigerjapanese.com is where Im ordering my engine from and it comes with a "thin" 5 speed when I called them they refered to it as a sr20 typed size transmission. Mckinney kit seems to a seemless mount, but if this thin transmission fits does it possibly still use the same driveshaft?

• 4 months later...

When I wrote this thread there were absolutely NO swap kits. Nowadays there are several. This was a parts listing you could go or get from Japanese junkyards and have a relatively drop in swap. the only thing I really had to make was the trans mount. My method also put the motor more forward then todays kits. BUT it was still a 50/50 balance. So yea kinda dated info. If I was going to do it again I'd buy the stuff that's in the kits now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic but do the z31 motor mounts have to be from a Japan spec 300zx? And also what type motor did you use? I know an rb26 but was it from a r32? It should be the same with the r34 26 right?

If you are asking about what i said about the z31 mounts and how they bolt up ... yes you need z31 rb20 mounts.

• 5 months later...

ok, so there's alot going on here. I have a problem with my rb26 swap i was hoping you all could help me with. the stock PCM or boost control soleniod is missing from mmy setup, i ordered one from Japan, but is there a way to bypass the wires and just use a freaking manual boost controler? Also the yellow booost restrictor wire is nowhere to be found... is this not required or am I boned?And I do realize my thread is outdated and missing pictures i keep promising. Check out speed farm llc in bozeman MT on facebook for current progress. bigges issue right now is the bypass valves, and my damned boost control soleniod missing. Pat, hope you don't mind another brain picking session, and stony as always thanks for the help.

I just sent Pat payment on my oil pan for rb26 240z build. Very professional, can't wait to see it.

He made mine. only thing that was off was because my engine is an R33 and he used r32 block for fitment. And it took like, 4 minutes to adjust with his help over the phone. Just a little grinding modifacation and changing one bolt to a allen style round head and she went right on. Pat is amazing with those pans and has a wealth of information. good choice steves, good choice.

• 7 months later...

3ryce just a heads up. Me and stony where just talking as I'm doing the same swap as you. The stock intake can not be used I just put mine in today abd the intake is to high. You will have to one cut your hood or two buy an aftermarket intake. I'm using the cx mounts though so any one using the mckinney mount might be able to chime in and tell you if they will be the same way.

• 2 months later...