HybridZ

so you wanna swap an rb eng? here ya go

stony

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Akuma no Z

so what all do you need for the RB25 swap? R33 GTS-T engine, tranny, and ecu, J-spec Z31 motor and tranny mounts(tranny mount needs modding),the ? driveshaft, and an r200 diff. oh yea and a fuel pump. am i missing anything? the rest of everything works?

Guest Zachb55

Hey RB, how are things with the Z? what sortof problems have you been having with standard Z parts since you put the RB26 in there? whats the furure for the engine? how much hp are you planning on going for? man i cant wait to do my swap, but i have been considering the 2JZ swap because it really hasnt been done much, and certainly doesnt have any in depth info on what needs to be done and i would sortof like to be the person that does that... well im still in the middle because right now i could get a R33 or 32 half-cut to my house for around five grand... and im not sure what the 2JZ is gonna cost, i found half cuts for $7999 OUCH, so im gonna keep looking...

-Zach

well right now im at just under 400hp to the wheels. next mod to engine will be turbos. either a big single or twin super 60 hybrids. without going internal i want 500 rwhp, and low 10sec 1/4.

the only standard z parts are in the rearend. I keep breaking halfshafts. Im currently trying to mod the rear end housing to except the 300z bearings so i can use the stub shafts and axles. this setup if it works should handle what i want to do check out here

If all goes well i will still retain the IRS setup but it will be much stronger then the halfshaft setup but we will see

Zach,

Some food for thought on the cost of the swap.

You said:

because right now i could get a R33 or 32 half-cut to my house for around five grand...
I want to pass on some things I learned while researching for my swap,(motor is in shipping right now).

First, if you buy a half cut, you are not guarenteed,(but spelled properly) it will have everything. By everything I mean airflow meters, starter, clutch etc.. Second, it will come with the GT-R AWD transmission. That means you must now source a GS-T tranny. Ok, now you need a clutch as well, etc.. I realize you already know this, but you get the idea? Brad and I bought from a guy named Bernard Plett. He provides a package deal. For $6800 you get everything you should need to perform the swap, the oil pan, mounts, etc... And anything else you may need down the line he will support you at cost. Meaning if you need a NISSMO oil pump, or a 3 disc clutch, he will buy it and sell it to you at his cost plus shipping. The only caviot is it must be for the project. And if you are missing something,(which you shouldn't, but it can happen) like say a starter, he will get that to you no cost,(Brad's motor was missing it). When I started adding up what I was going to need, it always came really close or over that figure. Sure I could find it cheaper, but in the end I would end up spending more. And the support at cost for later items was also a big swaying factor for me. And he was a pleasure to deal with.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. My motor was recently pulled from a 2000 model Stager 260RS. Think of it as a wagon version of the GT-R. It had about 10k miles,(~16k kilometers if I remember). I think Brads had ~12k miles. Most of Bernard's motors had between 40-60k miles. He has 5 R-32's in stock, and I think one or two R-33's all in Reno Nevada. I highly recommend him. His e-mail is:

dfbuq103@kcc.zaq.ne.jp

And his name is Bernard Plett. Tell him Bob Hanvey sent you.

-Bob

(paid the money, now time to install....)

Guest storm280z
Originally posted by Kennysgreen280zt:

Nicely written , I now understand what it takes. My question is if there is anyone in australia or japan that would be willing to set a Z guy up with all the parts needed to do the swap. someone that would get the motor tranny and oilpan and motor mounts all together? And also not rip a Z guy off in the process? Just ccurious , thanks

~Kenny

Guest storm280z

i have a friend of mine in texas that ia a direct japan motor importer. if you are looking for a motor (sr20 rbs 2jzgte) he can getyou one for a good price. im getting a rb20 from him an, these motor have never been state side so these good :eek:

Originally posted by Kennysgreen280zt:

Nicely written , I now understand what it takes. My question is if there is anyone in australia or japan that would be willing to set a Z guy up with all the parts needed to do the swap. someone that would get the motor tranny and oilpan and motor mounts all together? And also not rip a Z guy off in the process? Just ccurious , thanks

~Kenny

:eek:

Guest Anonymous

I was wondring I have a 78 280Z and I am Thinking about putting a Rb20det in it and I am wondring

what kind of power would I get out of it stock? like 1/4 time and top speed stuff like that.

Parts numbers if anyone is interested:

11110 - Oil sump

15050 - Oil pickup

15200G - Oil pickup O Ring

11232 - RH Mount

11233 - LH Mount

11220 - Rubber mounting (LH and RH)

Guest Anonymous

Would an RB20 single turbo manifold have any clearance issues with the shock towers when used with an RB26 head? I have plans to put an RB30 block/RB26 head combo in my 280ZX. Thanks

• 7 months later...