HybridZ

Toyota Turbo 7M-GTE engine swap

Guest 327zxer

Simple.

Do a search.

I don't mean to be mean...but it not only has been covered, but there is a recent topic about it. Tony Fruzza has built one up for his car. Search for his name. Actually, his member number is 1614. I just gave you all the info you need. Good luck.

-Bob

what can I say, I feel nice today, it is Sunday!

Guest 327zxer

Did a search didn't help much. I can find that engine for $925 with acc. and turbo then I need a 5-speed tranny. How much does one of those cost. What is all needed for a stock swap. I don't care about upgrading right now, I just want to mount the engine in and go.

Did a search didn't help much.
Dude, what are you doing for a search? I gave you what will reveal tons of info about that search. The only difference is it is in a 240z. What applies to a 240 will apply to a zx, as the engine mounts and space are the same. Let me show you.

Just putting 7M-GTE in the search box reveals:

Link #1 with link to tony's page

Another one with mock-up pics and how he made the mounts:

Another 7m-gte Tony post

And:

More 7M-GTE info and pics

This isn't funny. And then, with the info I gave you, that his memeber number is 1614, plugging that into the search engine for this forum alone,(ignoring turbocharging forum) produces all the same links with less fluff.

And that is only this forum. Sorry bud, Tony is the only guy to have tried this, and that is why I pointed you to that.

-Bob

search class is now over

Boy, my ears are ringing :D

I picked up my tranny for $200 + shipping, then had to get a clutch and resurface the flywheel.

My JDM engine didn't come with accesories, but came with injectors, manifolds and turbo for about the same price. Replace the timing belt, as the engine has been sitting for a long time (10+ years).

The stock supra EMS is pretty limiting, and is expencive to buy piggy back systems for it. I went for a stand alone system from down under called Wolf3D. There are links to many of these places that I've used on my web page.

I would compare the swap as being about the same difficulty as sticking any turbo charged fuel injected engine in that you have to fab up the mounts and driveline for (ie any RB engine or the 2JZ engine). Probably a bit more expencive than your regular fuel injected v8 setup.

I think there is more room in the 240Z/280Z to go back with the engine. Take a look at some engine pics and I think you will see. This may mean that you have to go up a little further with the shifter.

a lot of people underrate the RB20DET engine...you could swap that in a lot easier and make same if not more hp..and more reliable to boot.

also...the l28ET is underrated...

*dreams* L31ET

one day...i'll have a turbo stroker in my garage then sell kits for em =)

• 5 weeks later...

550, seems kinda low, I have a lot of experience with Supra's, i know 3rd and 4th gens with my eyes closed. Im kind of weary of 7m's, Why is the person selling? or is it like overstock/old stock at a garage? Any proof the motor is good.

7m Common Problems:

Spun bearing

head Gasket

Boost Leaks/surging

Just be careful, and if you have any questions feel free to ask, Supras and esepcially 3rd gens are my specialty(seeing as I have owned a few) I had a 7m car pushing near 450rwhp, and right now my 1jz makes 406rwhp on the stock twins.

• 2 weeks later...

How does the RB20DET swap in a lot easier? As far as I can see it's the same job, engine mounts, tranny mount, drive line, exhaust, intercooler, plumbing, efi, etc. The oil pan on the 7m fits in fine, and it doesn't interfear with the steering assembly.

I think the attraction to the 7M is the buy in price, and then the fact that it responds to bolt ons really well due to the fact that the OEM parts around the engine were limiting. The stock turbo is far under sized, and with that replaced 400hp on stock internals is easily obtained with added fuel, and by replacing the really inefficient stock intercooler. Once I get to point where I want serious power simply buy a used TRD head for $1500 (comes with over sized valves, ported, cams, and sometime adjustable cam gears), throw some forged internals in and off you go (upgrade clutch, again). The stock 5 speed tranny is very strong as well. With a metal head gasket, ARP head bolts things are pretty solid. I've heard of the issues with bearings being spun, but I've heard of mostly high mileage engines doing it.

The L28ET is without a doubt very potent, still it's SOHC, and old technology on flow design. I first started building a L28ET for my car, planned on having it bored and stroked out to 3.1L, with a lot of head work, but I just could not afford the investment to do so.

How much are the RB20DET's with tranny?

• 4 weeks later...

Undersized, the ct-26? i think not, noe of the best bang for the buck mods on a 7m is putting in a modded 57.trim ct26. If i owned a 7m powered car, thats the ONLY turbo Id put on, the r154 is practically bulletproff yes, but the 7m is far from it, a metal HG and some arp studs do hold stuff together but if you really thrash the car, that wont hold. 7m is laggy and slow revving, price is the only plus i can see for it, id rather throw a turbo'd ka24 in a 240z. It probably works better in the lighter datsun cars, but i dunno... I just never really liked that motor, i bought my supra knowing I would swap the engine out when i had the chance. And the stock Intercooler flows just fine, I dont know where you heard that the stock IC sucks on those cars, its the same one as the 1jz IC, and i made my 406 the stock IC.

I love supras and I really like their engines. Its true about the 7m, that have a lots of problem, and I don't know well the 1jz-2jz. How did you get 4xx hp with the stock turbos :shock: , and tell me what you needed when you did the swap with 1jz. That is probably the engine I'll put in my 2nd 240z, and that the kind of hp I want, Little bit less.... but who knows!!! :D

Dayz

Guest Damn Cracker

My friend is a supra freak, and he's been doing som,e research into economical and powerful motor swaps for his mkII supra. He's talked to some ameture supra racer guy with a 6mgte powered mkII. They never made 6mgte's, only 6mge's. But all of the turbo crap from a 7m bolts right on to a 6m. 6m's are supposed to be a lot stronger than 7m's, and the guy he talked to said a stock 6m with a 7m turbo set up will make over 300 reliable horses at the crank. 6m's are cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...

best swap IMO for the mk2 supra (im a supra guy, i have a 1jz converted mk3) is the straight 7mgte, a stock 7m only needs a MHG and once put in an mk2, makes plenty of speed, im not sure the weight difference between the z cars and the mk2, but im sure the horepower to driveability ratio is probably about the same, if the car isnt beyond springs and shocks and sway bars suspension wise, both cars tend to get ridiculous about 400rwhp, friends have an mk2 with a 7m, does 411rwhp all day long, runs just fine, took a long time for him to get used it, but it moves violent fast, i toyed with the 7m idea,it would work great for a speed freak and it isnt expensive.

Hey Majik, I have a question for you. I've been reading supra forums for a long time, since I love them and working on them to. How can you get 4xx hp with your 1jz, :shock: with the stock turbo or your 7m, that does that to. I'm planning to put a 7m or 1jz in my z. What is your recipe, I'm going to try it on my friends supra :D

the 1jz can do it like a 2jz, all you need is a boost controller, a downpipe, cat back, fuel controller, intake and you can do 350rwhp no problem, to hit 400rwhp you'd need bigger injectors, a good intercooler, and a better Y-pipe made(the pipe connecting the turbos to the downpipe, the elbow) youd have to go 19psi and you couldnt do that all the time, a small to4 on the 1jz motor yeilds 400rwhp and with that you could do it all the time, the 7m takes a bit more work, it needs the upgraded turbo, a bigger to4, injectors, the lexus-afm upgrade or a vpc, and all the same stuff the 1j would need. Its not hard, if you read SF you know you can find me there, when you start the project or have more questions, pm me or e-mail me at Majik16106@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

majik16106 - no doubt the best bang for the buck is upgrading your ct-26, I was just saying in it's stock form it was small. I'm not comparing it to a little T3, but I'm comparing it to the flow capabilities of more modern engines such as the stock twins on the 2jz, or even the 1jz.

There are pleanty of reason to move away from the ct-26, for instance the number of options on sizing go up as soon as you go garrett. Finding replacement parts are a lot easier to find for garrett (most diesel shops have rebuild kits in stock), pricing is better. The best reason to modify the ct-26 is because you'll be using the stock exhaust manifold and it's an easy bolt on. Also you can pass smog with it. A lot of Supra guys really try to stay with the ct-26, it's kind of like they are trying to prove something with it. I see the same thing with other Z car discusion groups that say an only Nissan engine will go in their Nissan car. I'm just trying to get things done the easiest way with as little amount of money possible.

Initiatially I started out wanting to build a 450hp L28ET, but that turned out to be out of my budget, the 7M has it's issues, but most of these only become apparent once you're making far more power than a L28ET with a worked over head and a nice set of bolt ons. Even with the issues at hand I find it to be the best bang for the buck, and who needs over 500hp in a 2300 pound car anyways? The availability of a TRD head for around $1500 (over sized valves, ported, larger cams) also makes it tempting to me if I ever think I could use a little more GO.

Just had my valve covers and some other parts silver powder coated, turned out real clean. Will be working on other details here shortly, should be going this summer.