HybridZ

Pro Drag 240Z for Import racing. Which engine?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Dan0myte:

Word on the street is that Nissan is using the VQ35 as the engine for the new Skyline. Using twin turbos, it will probably be in the 300hp range (rated at 280ps of course ;) ) If Nissan does do this, you can be rest assured that they're confident the block will never blow.

You know nothing! Cosworth is working on the block of the VQ for nissan to use in the Skyline.

Top secret has a turbo VQ35DE in their R34 GT-R that is making 570hp but that is the most hp I have ever heard from a VQ engine and I would not like to know how much work when into it.

I don't know how strong is the crate 450hp n/a VQ35DE block but It is sure as hell stronger than any other block available.

DO NOT USE THE VQ

The block will NOT handle the power.

I can't believe some of you guys want him to use a VQ engine, it is like you just want to see his project fail.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly think that because we've not seen a hi-po VQ that it's not possible. The motor hasn't been out long in a performance application. It's not like we have any evidence that it'll blow - lack of power on the few project cars out there isn't evidence. Pictures of split blocks on the other hand would be :rolleyes: If you've got some PROOF or a source then by all means share it. I don't know that the VQ is a big candidate since it's a new motor and expensive with somewhat unknown potential but....

Afew 2JZ dynos can be found here -> http://www.geocities.com/j_nenni/ although the single 20PSI run is on a turbo that's big enough that 20PSI probably isn't enough. I'll have a 20PSI T-78 graph later I hope, it was on pump gas, up over 615RWHP, and used a set of those peaky cams. That car hasn't raced yet, Justinn's has more than a few times coollook.gif Note that these are 3liter motors, not 3.5 strokers, and are daily driven street type cars.

Also - do ALL of the racing classes make you stick to the SAME manufacturer's drivetrain?

Guest Dan0myte

If you look at that dyno I posted, forget it's a 2JZ and pretend I said RB26. They'll be very similar curves.

Jamie, if you want a 3000 - 5500rpm powerband, go with the VG. If you want a 5000 - 8000rpm powerband, go with the RB.

Graze, we've seen 600+ hp SR20 engines, which is an aluminum block, and only two litres. I don't see why a 600+ hp aluminum block 3.5 litre engine isn't possible.

I think how well the later Nissan engines will hold up at those power levels is still to be proven. I doubt Jamie is in a position to fund the development so it makes sense to go with what is proven. For those who doubt a VG30DETT can hold up, check out the link below. Once you target these kinds of HP levels and the mods it takes to accomplish them, most of the arguments about whether the RB or VG is stronger kinda goes out the window.

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2002/drivers/J_Lazcano.html

Jamie, I think it was BLKMGK that suggested you look into the Street-Tire class. One immediate thing to notice is the incredible bodywork the cars in the Pro class are using. What would it take for a stock chassis Z-car to achieve 190+ in the 1/4? One of the intriguing things about the Street-Tire class is that the engines are almost as powerful with some of the front runners like the Orlando-based Titan Supra pushing over 900hp. The trick is using the stock-based suspension and drag radials. Base weight is 2,600lbs and with a properly setup R230-based rear suspension, you should minimze breakage. Problem is that tubbing is disallowed and the Z has limited space in the fenderwells. To be compettive with that power you need to be running 315 or 325 BFGs. We all know how tough that is on a stock-fendered Z.

A well-prepped RB or VG in a Z in the street-tire could be competitive but you need to be in the very low-9s. Here is where the V-6 configuration has a slight advantage because of the superior F-R weight distribution you can get with it slammed up against the firewall. In the stree-tire class, that is so critical for traction.

Guest Anonymous

If you look at that dyno I posted, forget it's a 2JZ and pretend I said RB26. They'll be very similar curves.

Jamie, if you want a 3000 - 5500rpm powerband, go with the VG. If you want a 5000 - 8000rpm powerband, go with the RB.

Graze, we've seen 600+ hp SR20 engines, which is an aluminum block, and only two litres. I don't see why a 600+ hp aluminum block 3.5 litre engine isn't possible.

well I never said it was impossible but this guy is on a budget right? So he does not want to spend all the money he has building up a block and then have nothing for the rest of the project.

Also this seems like a big experiment going with the VQ engine("let see if it hold) that is fine and dandy when you have money to blow and nothing to do with your time.

Again, it has to land back at the goals of the project.

This is for publicity for a shop, yes? So, you get big power from an RB, okay, that's good. But an RB is relative unobtanium in the states and is no longer even produced in Asia. Big power in a VG - that's a bit closer to home. If you have an old Z32, you may wanna find that shop and give them some go-fast money.

But how about this: you make big power from a VQ. You're one of the first shops doing this. You are a badass from that standpoint alone. Furthermore, how many potential AltimaMaxima350ZG35 etc. owners' ears will perk up at the sound of a big hp VQ? Now you have direct experience doing things to their engine that they will want done.

Bigger risk, yes. Bigger payoff - undoubtably. If you give me some numbers I can work it up as an exercise for my Finance class.

VG is playing to a smaller audience. It's more of a yawn (granted 1000hp is nothing to yawn at). And it's not a motor that kids are gonna have in their cars.

Gain expertise and a good rep on a new, popular powerplant and you could be well rewarded. Look at all the LS1 action for example.

Guest JAMIE T

Well guys, Alot has happened here since I've posted. As for the class. I think the ONLY way to go is with the BFG, Street tire class. The rules state unmodified wheel wells. I wonder of they will not allow me to run J-spec ZG flares? It was available factory bodywork... In Japan ;) . I'll just tell them it is a 240ZG. I've got original Fairlady Z emblems for it. It will be next year for this project to see the track. I need to talk to the shop owner again to see if he is still biting.

If he isn't, Anyone here want to get together and do it. Email me if you are interested in do it. I can get the chassis set-up for 9's(would be safe up to 7.99). R230 rear should be strong enough for that.

The VQ would be sweet for the reasons Jeromio mentioned. IF like stated here, it will hold up. Maybe I can get a truck engine and put my fogger NOS on it. Keep upping the jets and see what lets go first. That would be fun tongue.gif .

Guest MegaShaft_2000

The SR guys are iron sleeving the blocks to increase the reliability of their engines. Couldn't the same be done to the VQ?

I'm pretty sure that all aluminum block engines have iron sleeves. That's why they're open deck designs, since the aluminum would wear away too fast and a harder sleeve must be inserted. The VQ, being an aluminum block, already has iron sleeves.

Here's a pic: vq35-12.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

A freind of mine is a Nissan tech. Talking through another freind, he says they have done alot of warrenty work on the VQ's. Mostly BS, but he has done a number of head gaskets on the Altima's and Maxima's, no 350Z's though. A copper head gasket would help hold the boost in for sure.

MegaShaft, do you have more picks of the VQ's? Maybe something showing the main webbing and caps? I'm gonna call my freind at the dealer and see if he can give me some more info on the motor. Maybe I can get one that was replaced under warrenty or something.

Guest livewire23

If there was a shop making a 400+ hp h23a or h22 engine (good for a 2.3l honda), I know I would definately check them out. I think that would probably hold true for all the altima and maxima kids around with VQ engines.

However, you really have to consider whether you want to deal with this crowd. The honda shop i go to actually is way out in the boonies and purposely avoids attracting that kind of crowd. They only deal with engine swappers and people with big turbo setups, because they dont want to deal with the whole ricer crowd that dominates the honda market nowadays.

So, its really a choice of what kind of crowd you want to deal with. Although I guess some people follow the philosophy that any crowd is a good crowd, although a ricer shop like modacar.com will probably tell you otherwise.

On a side note, Im aware that this is less applicable with a nissan place, but it still is true to a certain extent. That F&F movie has changed the face of the import crowd.

-Kito

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks MegaShaft. The bottom end looks nice. The cam/chains/guides look like a disaster waiting to happen.

I downloaded the NHRA Sport Compact rules. For the Sport RWD(It is what I would consider the street tire class) the min. weight is :eek: 3200#'s WTF!!! eek2.gif . I just scaled my 240Z, 2253#'s!!! How in the hell can I add 1000#'s, and why would I want to? That crap is make the whinny Supra guys happy, those over weight fatty's!!!

I think the IDRC min. weight for the BFG Street Tire class is 2600#'s. I'm gonna check again to make sure.

NHRA has lost their mind. With a minimum weight of 3200#, they might as well just call that "The Supra Class". I supposed you could interpret the rules to say you could run the ZG flares ("mild bodywork permitted") and ET Streets/QTP ("DOT-approved tire") but even with that, there is no way a 3200 Z-car can be competitive. The Supras were running as quick as 9.0 with DRs so what are they gonna run with DOT slicks?

I expect to see a few disgruntled cars rolling over to IDRC.

The cam/chains/guides look like a disaster waiting to happen.

No the stupid open deck design is a disaster waiting to happen :rolleyes: NOT what i would want on a forced induction car. then you would be just like the honda crowd and wait for someone to come out with a block gaurd twak.gif