HybridZ

Pro Drag 240Z for Import racing. Which engine?

Guest JAMIE T

Originally posted by SHANE:

quote:

The cam/chains/guides look like a disaster waiting to happen.

No the stupid open deck design is a disaster waiting to happen
:rolleyes:
NOT what i would want on a forced induction car. then you would be just like the honda crowd and wait for someone to come out with a block gaurd
twak.gif

Yep, agreed. cheers.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure which is scarier - the open deck like a Honda waiting to flex or the mile long chains waiting to whip around. I guess if you weren't bumping the redline way up the chaqins might be okay but once power was up there I'd worry a bit about the bores moving around.

I'd agree that the #3200 weight is a bit much. I'm not sure why it's that high and perhaps it is the Supras. I'd agree that's too much - how is an old RX3 or 510 supposed to weigh that much?! cry2.gif What's the new 350Z weigh?

Guest JAMIE T

What do you guys think of a "tall" fill of HardBlok. If you are not familiar with it, it is used primarily in drag racing. You fill the water jackets partaily full of this concrete like mixture to keep the bores from flexing, and also helps stabalize the bottom end. I have used it in full drag V8's.

Maybe my idea is dumb, to build a class legal Drag Zcar. IF for some crazy reason I did stuff 1000hp in a 2300# Zcar, those Import racers would crap there britches. It would EASILY run low nines on low boost. What are they scared of?

Maybe we could lobby for a "Classic Import" class.

I was laughing at one of the rules that is designed to keep guys from putting 9" fords in the cars. It says " 100lb weight penalty will be added for rear ends that are from another manufacturer." Or some crap like that. What if I used a solid rear axle form a Nissan Pick-up truck? They would have to let me race the first time, until they made alterations to the rules.

I'm pretty good a rule interpritation. Like Smokey Yunick, It's not cheaten, unless you get caught.

There has been lots of discussions on this forum about NHRA banning IRS in cars 10.99 or quicker. Frankly I do give a rat's ass about the archaic rules that some hotrod genius out of the 60s keeps dreaming up. What makes this all ironic and hypocritical is that with this old Street-tire class now being allowed to run "DOT-approved" tires, cars in this class will be in the hi-8 in '03. To quote NHRA rules for this class "Original suspension mandatory". Now, I wonder how many of these 8-sec cars will not be using IRS? Did they check the suspension design of all the cars that could possibly compete and deem them OK?

BLKMGK, the 4cyls & Rotaries must weigh 2,750# with 1 power-adder and 2,950# with 2. What they are basically trying to do is give Ari Yallon and other RX-7s a break against the Supra by adding 300# to the 6-cyls. "Penalizes" the Supras but kills other 6-cyls. I am being sarcastic about penalizing the Supras because they add 300# but allows the class to now run DOT-approved tires :rolleyes: . Now the Supras will be able to hook off the line. Still will be rooting for that Titan Supra since it is a buddy of mine driving it and the guy that owns Titan is a super-nice person.

Guest JAMIE T

Scottie, I saw that Supra a the Battle of the Imports here in VA this past summer. It is truely wicked. What sanctioning body does he race with? IDRC is really the only way a first gen. Zcar could be competitive. I will still have to add 200+lbs to the car to make weight.

Hope to get down again in May Scottie, would love to hook up again and maybe make it to the track. Meeting that guy would be cool too if possible, the Titan guys seem pretty cool. One of these days I may be down to have Nero or Angel tune my car as well. Agreed on what they've done to slow the 6bangers and give the rotaries a break although I think the 20B is going to be outlawed next year :( A Supra could be gutted to get way down there weight-wise - at least one of them is - but FEW owners seem willing to do so. This coming season will see some SICK Supras out there :eek:

I like the Nissan truck rear idea if it's strong enough. Realize that the ringpinion in the R200 ought to be okay and if not the R230 but I'm not sure how the rest of the IRS would fare. That's a safety thing IMO as losing the IRS at speed would SUCK!

Block filling the VQ sounds like a decent idea IMO. That wouldn't be as good as supporting the top like a block guard does on a Honda but it would be better than nothing. The top is what's unsupported so supporting it would be better but block fill ought to help some...

BLKMGK,

Would be nice to see you down again. Keep in mind that Titan runs the entire series so they may be on the road when you get here. Also, Jesus/Angel are now Titan rivals.

The Nissan PU rear is plenty strong but I do not know how it would hold up to a torque monster. Carlos has been running one with a welded 3.90 in his RX-3 forever. Typically the rotaries are not known for torque but his car has a full body/chassis weighing in at about 2400# and he stalls it to 6000 with a P-glide and runs mid-9s.

Guest JAMIE T

Spoke with my buddy, the Nissan tech. He says the VQ35 is THE BEST ENGINE EVER. My other freind who was the middle man earlier was mistaken, he was thinking about the 2.5L engines.

Basically my buddy said that if Nissan put the VQ35 in all of there cars, he would be out of a job.We talked about the open deck design, he said he wouldn't worry too much about it(although, I think he under estimates my goals). Anyway, he is on the look out for one, he said they should start appearing in the bone yards next year. He said the cheapest car they come in is $26K, so they(insurance companies) won't total one for a few more years, unless of course the car IS TOTALED.

Next year, huh?

Year

Part

Model

Description Miles

Stock# Price Dealer Info 2001

Engine

Nissan Pathfinder

3.5,AOT,6-01 F0285 $3500.5 M and M Auto Parts, Inc. - PRP USA-VA(Stafford) E-mail 1-800-545-6855 2001

Engine

Infiniti QX4

3-00,3.5,FAOD 17545 $3500 All Foreign Auto Parts, Inc. - PRP USA-VA(Fredericksburg) E-mail 1-800-533-4091 2001

Engine

Nissan Pathfinder

-(3.5/V6)AT,LE,wo/Fl y,56th,4wd LssLH/EMA 021126 $3000 M and M Service and Salvage Yard Inc. USA-VA(Ruckersville) E-mail 1-800-533-4099

Engine

Nissan Pathfinder

-(3.5/V6)AT,SE,18th 011043 $3000 M and M Service and Salvage Yard Inc. USA-VA(Ruckersville) E-mail 1-800-533-4099 2001

Engine

Nissan Pathfinder

OOG28 $1900 Old Dominion Auto Parts USA-VA(Roanoke) Quote 1-800-227-7315 Insurance-Quote

That was just a quick search ( http://car-part.com ) on only One of the vehicles that came with that motor.

Guest JAMIE T

Yeah, I saw that too. But, $3500 is alot to swallow for an engine that I would still need to buy rods and pistons for. Remember the original goal? 1000+hp!

Can't resist having just come across this in the latest issue of Turbo...

"The 2JZ-GTE is the most potent powerplant in import drag racing. Three of the five 6-second Pro cars run the Supra engine and the 2JZ brought home the class championship in the Pro and Street Tire in the 2002 NHRA SC series."

No word on what the other two 6-second cars are running, anyone? The VQ probably hasn't competed yet, at least that I know of, so you'd be breaking new ground - and probably parts too. Not only are the motors not super cheap but finding performance parts won't be cheap either unless you make them :( The VG or RB might be easier if not cheaper. Not being able to swap other manufacturer's motors in SUX :(

yeah that does suck big time, not being able to drop in the 2jz even, thats my choice, because of the fit. but a vg30dett with a pair of td05s sound good to me too, but man right now the supras are taking sh1t over with those single turbo converts, and that driveline looks like it would be my choice of motor conversion if it ever comes down to it, its real nice.

Originally posted by LEN168:

yeah that does suck big time, not being able to drop in the 2jz even, thats my choice, because of the fit. but a vg30dett with a pair of td05s sound good to me too, but man right now the supras are taking sh1t over with those single turbo converts, and that driveline looks like it would be my choice of motor conversion if it ever comes down to it, its real nice.

I actually wish now I'd done the 2JZ rather than the 383SBC. One day maybe I'll switch it over if a deal falls my way, we'll see. I like the RB motor too but it sounds like it's not as stout as I'd first thought. Parts availability is the issue though. An SR20 in a 240SX would also be cool :cool:

Guest Zachb55

Not too sure you guys didnt already cover this but... has anyone taken any specs for the VQ? would it fit, and if so would it be mountable, it looked like in those pictures up at the top that it had its mounts at the top front area, now i may be exagerating here but it looks like it might be dragging its ass with a mount up right there into a Z... are those not the mount? probly not, hopefully not... hey those might actually be alot cheaper and even easier to do the a 2JZ and maybe even an RB. In a recent issue or Superstreet there is a whole section about this 350Z car show which all of the big aftermarket parts mfg's brought their Z's, lots of awesome looking cars, although they werent nearly as tricked out as any supra, they did have a couple different co.'s with turbo upgrades and the like... im sure lots and lots of aftermarket parts will be available when people start buying these things and breaking them, and wanting to go even faster, lets hope they all get rear-ended and make half-cuts readily available!!! flamedevil.gif

-Zach

Also I forgot to mention, that HKS has all new hard parts out for the vq. I saw a pic of a forged crank (not sure what was different about it), I-beam rods, forged pistons, metal head gaskets, and tons of other stuff. I'll see if I can find that post (on one of the 350z forums.)

Any more word from the owner? If you do go ahead with this project, I would be interested in checking out the car, I'm in Va beach so it wouldn't be that far to drive.

Guest JAMIE T

Owner is closing the shop, and is not interested right now. He liked the idea, but has lost too much money in the last two years to make a come-back. Fortunatly, I didn't actually work there. I did the hard fabrication work for them. Stuff they couldn't do in house. See my post in the non-tech forum about "What do you want in a High Performance shop?". I am thinking of making a go at it myself. The drag car is on hold until further notice. Unless anyone one else wants to go in on it with me. I can't do it alone, I'm talented, not rich.

Well, if opportunity does arise, I would check out Golden Eagle Mfg. They do the resleeving on the Honda stuff. They may be able to do something for the VQ series. The cool thing about their stuff is it still allows excellent coolent flow. Hopefully someone will help you out. Just send some stuff out to different companies to see if they can give you a hand sponsor wise.