HybridZ

Turbo V8?

BLKMGK

i have thought about using a 5.0 ford and turning the shorty headers anound to feed a front mount turbo.since ford distributor is in front u could place engine way far back.i have lifted a bare 302 block -it is lighter than l28 block.after using aluminum heads and other i dont think the difference in weight would be much.ford 302 has a short deck heigth.block is very small.

Okay, has anyone seen SBC turbo manifolds that might fit in a Z's engine compartment? Am just kicking an idea around a little bit about this. After driving the GN around a bit I just can't help but wish I had a turbo motor to play with again :-) Maybe a marine manifold would work? A turbo - either single or twin - would sure be pretty sick. If I'd done a SBF this wouldn't be an issue as I've got manifolds for that but I took the easier way and did a SBC. I've seen the hiPSI site and how they flipped manifolds over so perhaps that's an idea.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else had pondered this. IF I ever did it it'll be at least a year or more as I've still got a lot of work to do just to get my car running with the SBC. (sigh) Perhaps something like an ATI blower would be easier but a turbo just makes all the right sounds :-)

Randy,

I totally agree that a turbo 302 would kick butt. Check out the following site: http://users.erols.com/cosby/stang/

Nice article on an "INCON" twin turbo 302 Mustang setup. I saw a vendor selling one of these kits at a Detroit area auto show and it looked very nice. Well put together, no cheap looking parts. I believe the price was somewhere around the three grand mark. Not cheap, but there's a lot of good stuff included. Now only if someone made an inexpensive twin turbo kit for an LT1.

Hmmm...

Turbos kick ass, no matter how you look at it.

-Andy

When I first started thinking V8 a couple of

years ago I was also still thinking turbo

L28. After some surfing I found some sites

with turbo V8 engines. There was even one

with a twin turbo LT1 and another with a twin

turbo LS1. Give me some time to find them.

Who will be the first to have a turbocharged

V8Z??? I would do it just for the hell of

it...and if I had the money!

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

The "NMCA drag racing series" has recently been featuring turbocharged Chevy small blocks in its semi-pro classes. These are making well in excess of 1000 hp. The hot setup is twin-turbo, with a huge intercooler sitting in front of the radiator. These are $50,000+ engines. One guy is even running a turbo destroked big block.

On first impression, there is something mutually exclusive about turbo and V8. The combo can work, but I don't think that there is enough of a customer base to justify significant involvement from the retail aftermarket. Evidently that's why the V8-type car magazines only talk about the super high-end when they mention turbo V8's.

At how many psi does a stock Buick GN boost? I wonder what tinkering would be required with the SBC bottom end to survive with the same boost level....

First of all - I've owned and daily driven a twin turbo V8 Ford 302. In fact I've still got the manifolds and intercooler for it :-) It's the SpearcoDDMI kit from years ago - the Incon uses the same manifolds but with ball bearing turbos. Looks nice huh? Well, take a look at the passenger side manifold closely - what do you mean you can't change one plug?! Yup, it backs right into the turbo manifold when used with GT-40 heads - which is the head Spearco advertized the kit with! Extrude honing is supposed to bump manifold flow way up BTW. Oh yeah - the manifolds weight a ton, something like 40lbs apiece if memory serves. If anyone wants accurate figures or pics lemme' know and I'll accomodate. Intercooler was huge and had th ebest scoop I've seen for a horizintal intercooler - makes the ProCharger scoop look stupid!

Trust me, nothing exclusive about turbos and V8 anymore than there is anything stopping you from using a ProCharger on a V8. Done right there's NO lag at all and massive HP :-) A SBC can take the boost with a turbo pretty easily just like with a supercharger or NOS and in fact it should be gentler on the bottom end.

That being said - one of my turbo books talks about a motor that blew pretty badly on a dyno at just 3KRPM. Seems the torque was so high it trashed everything inside - too much power! I've forgotten the torque figure but it was insane. My little 302 made more than 450HP and was hitting trap speeds of 118mph with a 3.08 gear. This was with GT-40 stuff and 10lbs of boost. A shame the manifolds wouldn't fit with my 351W and that the turbos would probably have been too small flow-wise.

Scottie - I can image, really I can :-) I had to drive that car a block today, man I love those sounds! I'm too far down the V8 path and I wanted simplicity anyway so no GN swap for me - lemme' know if you ever sell it :-)

I might get crazy and use a ProCharger or possibly a small turbo later on - we'll see. I've got a loong way to go on this project so this is mostly dreaming right now. I did once look closely at a small block 400 that had a single turbo on it - in a 4 door older Nova! Can you say sleeper? Owner supposedly was scared to death of it! Was up at the Turbo Performance Center in Glenn Burnie Maryland - steer clear of those guys (long story).

Gale Banks is a good idea. I'm just kind of kicking this idea around right now to be honest. If I could've easily plugged a T56 onto a 351 or 302 Ford I'd probably have already used my existing manifolds. I'm saving them for a rainy day right now :-)

To anyone considering a turbo(s) on a SBC, let me add my $.02. To echo BLKMGK words, despite the incredible HP and torque increase possible, there is no additional load on the bottom-end especially if you drop the revs slightly. Turbos do not add load, they add HEAT!! If the bottom-end of a 4-bolt main 350 is good for 500hp, that does not change with a turbo. Where you need to be concerned is reducing heat, eliminating back pressure and maintaining the required A/F ratio. Remember that if you can run 1-bar (14+ lbs) boost, you effectively have 700 ci of intake charge in 350 ci of displacement. If that is not enough, it comes in compressed and is further compressed by the piston. That makes for a big bang eek.gif

If anyone is considering a turbo SBC, ironically, you do not want the big valve heads and hot cam. All the things that hotrodders yank out of stock engines so they can get more air like low-compression pistons, economy cam, small valve heads, you want in the turbo engine. Too big a valve and hot cams create reversion in turbo engines. The turbo does not need that kind of help to stuff the cylindrs biggrin.gif

The bottom line is, what destroys turbo engines is detonation caused by heat and lack of fuel. If you can control detonation, the HP is limited by the designed limit of the engine and your pocketbook. Sounds simple but thats the same priciple the F1 boys followed when they got 1400hp from 90cid with 75lbs of boost.

Enough rambling.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Guest Fast Frog

Yes:

I considered a twin turbo setup before going to a supercharger 5 yrs ago. The big problem I ran up against was space in the engine bay. I even did a cardboard/wood turbo and plumbing machup. There's not enough room unless you're willing to cut the hell out of your wheel wells and fire wall. Also, strut towers present a proximity problem for down pipes and exhaust. I'm sure it could be done; but I wasn't willing to cut up my car that much.

Guest Brian260ZT

Where did you put the turbos in your mock-up? I was thinking they'd fit in the front corners of the engine bay.

Anyone wanna trade a good 327 longblock for a freshly rebuilt L6 turbo block??

Brian

Found one page, used to talk to this

guy a little by email when I was in

Singapore but lost touch. http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html

some others http://www.fullboost.com.au/readerscars/toddjudge.html http://www.ls1motorsports.com/turbo.htm http://bsmperformance.com/turbo.html http://www.fl-fbody.com/members/bfranker/fbody/supercharged.htm

Check Lingenfelter too, if you have the money. There's a forum of F-body owners with

a section dedicated to forced induction. Can't remember to address.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html