HybridZ

?'s about my stock 280ZX.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1982 280ZX non turbo. I would like to install a turbo into it. Can someone tell me what I would have to do and what the best way of doing it?

Guest Anonymous

okay, I should of looked down farther on the page to see the same question I asked. Now that I found out that it is cheaper and easier to install a turbo engine. Is there any ways to enhance my horsepower on my non turbo engine?

Guest Anonymous

You can look in the archives, I think this has been touched on before. I'm not a L-6 guy, but from the posts I remember reading, the turbo motors are plentiful and fairly cheap. Perhaps an inliner can speak up as to what all you'll need, I'd guess you'd want it complete with all harnesses, computer and such.

For non-turbo, the same old standard hot rodding things. More compression if its not to high already, bigger injectors, bigger throttle body, better ignition etc.

Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your responce. Now all I need to know is what kind of parts will give more compression. Also, if I put a turbo air meter on my non-turbo, will it give more air? Which in turn, the computer will respond with more gas,which in turn, will give more compression?

I was looking through a JC Witney catolog and they had timing gears in there. Is there a set of timing gears that will improve my proformance? Thanks.

enhancing a non turbo L6 moderately without blowing the bank? easier to leave the engine and do other mods, gears/exhaust/air filter_housing.....swap to the steepest gears you can find/afford with a new rear xhaust pipe from your OE manifold's downturn to horizontal run 2.25 or 2.5" to any turbo muffler at the back.....and put a turbo airbox and larger filter or a K&N intake box up front as well as richen your AFM 1-3 notches to help match your increased airflow, depending on your results (note this does not bump WOT mixture)

I went to 3.9 gears from OE 3.36's and custom rear exhaust for <$250US and the car was TOTALLY different powerwise. Became QUICK from FUN before IMO. AFM mod was free and a turbo airbox cost me $30 or so. Best mod money I ever spent.....it only got costlier after that icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I think your mind and my mind are out having a beer somewhere.

I looked at an air box on a turbo and it looks the same as mine. Unless you are talking about an after market part. How would I adjust the AFM? When you change your gears to a higher ratio, do you loose more top end? This car is also my daily driver and most of my driving is done on the freeways doing 90+. So would that make me run at a higher rpm? As everyone knows, the oil company's are screwing the hell out of us in California.

Mike, you could send your head (on the engine) out to be ported/polished and shaved. Shaving the head is good for a higher compression ratio. I'm not sure of the shops in your area, but up north here is Scott Performance in Santa Clara (nothing but Z's) and Dandos Performance in Fremont. I don't know of the url's if they have any, but Andy at Dandos is a great guy and very good at hopping up Z engines. Give a call to information...

David