HybridZ

T3 Flange next to T4-turbo suggestions

Tony240ZT

Just wondering if anyone has a picture of a t3 exhaust flange next to a t4 one because I'm thinking of welding one onto my turbo header, but am just wondering what the size difference would be. I'm thinking the t4 flange will be over lapping the edges of the header. If you have deminsions that'd be awesome. I think I'd have to build some sort of funnel to mate up with the flange.

On the other hand I've heard you can make quite a bit of power with a t3 turbine. I'm shooting for 400hp at the wheels, is this possible with a t3?

Will the 60-1 compressor housing bolt up to a t3/t4 center section?

There's this t4 manifold out on ebay right now, with a port for an external waste gate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872303298

I'm wondering if I should sell my SS header and pick this up. My header isn't equal length, but is tubular, and is far closer to being equal length than the cast manifold.

http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/zcar/7m/header/mvc-872f.jpg

There is a freaking T25 flange welded ontop of the t3 flange on my header, I don't understand why someone builds a header, then puts this little tiny turbo on an engine that is an inline 6, DOHC, with a very strong bottom end. Can someone enlighten me as to why the header builder did such a thing? Is it possible that you could have a pea shooter turbine side, and then rely on your waste gate to vent off any unwanted back presure for like insta-spool?

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

60-1 and 62-1 small shaft is about the biggest you can use on a T3 turbine wheel. If you use a stage III or V exhaust wheel you should be good for 400hp but I would go complete TO4 for that big engine.

Is this for your 7M or Z motor? I welded a T4 flange onto a ZX turbo manifold. I then hogged out the t3 hole till it was flush with the T4 flange. Don't waste your time with T3/T4 stuff. New TO4B's with H trim's are $400 and TO4E 60 trim's $450, 60-1 was $600 I believe. You can get turbine wheels and housings cheap too if you don't like what you get, I got an O trim wheel and .69 housing, and heat shield used for $120 to convert my T3/T4.

This is for the 7m-gte.. I'm half way tempted to try out a large a/r t3 turbine with stage III wheel, then go with the 60-1 compressor, but will give it some more thought, and take some measurements.

Kinda bummed about the header, and still thinking of trading it in, the guy sold it on ebay as having a t04 flange. It actually has a t25 welded on top of a t3 flange, gotta cut out the t25.

Don't think my L series will be seeing more than about 250hp to wheels in it's life.

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Is it possible that you could have a pea shooter turbine side, and then rely on your waste gate to vent off any unwanted back presure for like insta-spool?

Yes it is possible, you'll need a big wastegate and If you have a compressor large enough to make big power you'll have compressor surge at low flow/high boost. it's a catch 22 thing.

If you sell your manifold what would you want for it? I'm putting a 7M motor in my Z also (wasted my last L28). I planned on welding a flange onto the 7M manifold, but i'm always looking for deals.