HybridZ

SPD aftermarket L28 Turbo header PICS!

240Z Turbo

Well, these were sent to TimZ of what has been done thus far. This manifold is specific to a tangential split turbine housing, but you can see what you will be getting for about $850. Options of one for on-center, t4 or t3, external or internal wastegate. I still like my header better, but If I had a single turbo I would definitely get this one.

4.JPG

3.JPG

Actually, that one is for an on-center. Abid and I were working out some packaging issues with the tangential housing, and he sent me some pics of one of the manifolds that they were currently working, with the tangential housing thrown in as a reference.

Materials were about $1100, but that is 321SS. Do not be fooled by the seemingly simple design. Remember, the stock manifold has cylinder 1-4 entering the turbo area through a single 1.5" opening. Now you have cylinder 1-4 entering through two 1.75" openings. You have increased the flow area for cylinders 1-4 by 273%. Also, this is a tubular design so flow is optimized over the cast jobber. What does equal length by you in our street applications? Spoolup, but once you are going the difference between equal length and this style is not too much. Don't argue, these are not 1000hp car I am talking about, but our 400-550hp setups. Those fancy SS headers are nice, but unless you don't drive the car often or you have the turbo properly supported it will crack. I was forced to spend big bucks for fancy merge collectors and I had to place several bends before the turbo to absorb the great thermal expansion of SS. Also, I will have to support the turbo's from hangers off my intake manifold so it doesn't crack.

Originally posted by 240Z Turbo:

What does equal length by you in our street applications? Spoolup, but once you are going the difference between equal length and this style is not too much.

I'll take that one step further, and say that once you figure in the considerable added system volume of an equal length setup, spoolup is probably a wash, too.

This design was exactly what I had in mind - I didn't want a big 'exotic' looking header. They don't package easily, they radiate more heat to the engine bay, and they tend to crack. More complex isn't always better.

This is exactly what I was expecting also! Esentially a simple six into three into one header that according to Abid will flow 25-30% more than the stock manifold. Considering it is guaranteed for three years against cracking I think I'm going to be very happy with this set up. I understand from Abid they should be finished by the end of the week.

What about cylinders 3 and 4? They are both in the same tube right? I know that is similar to the stock design but, won't that limit flow in those two cylinders? Looks like it would hold up though. Those are some think flanges. Any one have an educated guess of what difference this header would have over stock ported manifold. It's ovibously going to flow better on the top end but, what about HP?

Originally posted by Cody 82 ZXT:

What about cylinders 3 and 4? They are both in the same tube right? I know that is similar to the stock design but, won't that limit flow in those two cylinders?

Probably not. Cylinders 3 and 4 are always seperated by 360 degress of crankshaft rotation, so they have the best pulse seperation of any of the pairings. Also, they have the shortest path to the turbine inlet, so 3 and 4 should have the least flow restriction.

I don't know what the glitch is. When I posted my pic at 11:22 am, James wern't showing, but mine did. Now it's the other way around :confused:

Anyhow, between Donna, TimO, TimZ, James and myself, you will get your fill of pics, sooner than later :D

I will most likely be the first to do the install since I'm the only one with a running car at the moment :D:Dburnout.gif

joel