HybridZ

flywheel?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was told that dodge rarely put a manual behind a 360 and that they are balanced differently. I was wondering if there was a way to have a 318/340 flywheel machined/modified to work with the 360 balancing. I think the 360 is internal but am not positive on this. also John why have you decided on a 318? thanks for the mopar forum it's nice not to have to do a search on the chevy and ford forums to find what little material there is on mopars.

Guest John Adkins

Landis,

There were a few 360 cars with manual transmissions, but there were a lot of 360 trucks with manuals. Unfortunately, the trucks use an 11" flywheel and larger bellhousing, which might be hard to find with the A833 trans bolt pattern. 360 cars used the 10.5" flywheel and bellhousing, just like the 273,318,340. Most Mopar SB flywheels except for cast crank 340 and the 360 and are neutral balanced, and can be modified for use on a 360 by drilling specific diameter and depth holes in the rear of the flywheel This is covered in the Mopar performance Engine Manual (highly recommended reading!)diagram of 360 flywheel modifications The easiest option is to buy a new flywheel: Mopar performance sells a new 360-specific flywheel (# P4529110 )....

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest Anonymous

i'll have to agree with john. in all the experiance i've had with mopar (not a super lot but i'm a quick learner) the 273, 318 and 340 were internally balanced while the 360 isn't. are the newer magnum 318 still interally balanced? you know john?

i finaly got the small black "a" engines book from the dealership and i have to say that it does have some nice tips on how to setup your motor/drivetrain/car for specific uses I.E. autoX vs drag. and it wasn't even that dry of a read either, i recomend it to anybody planning on doing a mopar swap and hopping up the motor a bit.

Guest John Adkins

I could be wrong but I don't think they changed the engine balancing on the 318 Magnum, and that its the same as the pre-Magnum 318.

The Magnum 360 is externally balanced like the old 360 but they changed the amount of imbalance , so there is a separate flywheel for magnum 360s and pre-Magnum 360s.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]