HybridZ

turbo small block

Guest super280z

Guest super280z

has anyone out there considered building a turbo SB mopar? this would eventually end up in my Dakota so i apologise for posting here, but i thought this would be a great place to gather info. heres the kinda setup i'd personally like to see.

318 stroked to 377 with the 3.79" crank

ported w-2 heads, forged pistions, h-beam rods, custom engle cam, +.10 pushrods on the exhaust side, roller rockers, sds fuel, A-833 4spd, BIG single turbo, FMIC, single or dual plane? i'd like to see a setup like this be fairly streetable.

you guys think i'd have any trouble seeing 550rwhp out of a setup like this? i suppose it'd really depend on the turbo or twins for that matter. any thoughts? thanks guys.

Guest Anonymous

actually i was planning on doing that after i got my motor set up and all the quirks out of it. my motor is going to be a 360 bored .060 over with a forged 3.79 stroke crank (391 CID i beleive) and forged steel con rods with keith black hyperetectic slugs. not to mention the massaged alum w5 heads and M1 single plane intake. or the comp cams custom grind.

after i get this done i'm going to save my pennines to have my intake bunged for injectors and run an electromotive tecII ditributorless engine management system. along with a twin turbo setup and a custom air plenum to sit on my intake manifold. man am i going to be one broke guy after i get done with this car icon_rolleyes.gif I was reading the maximum boost book and it say that anything over 350 cid basically requires a twin setup for proper sizing.

Guest super280z

hey v8-zfreak,

why are you going with hypertuctics? running high boost can be seriously detremental to internals. i know that their cheaper but forged will save you a TON of headache later after you detonate running 20+ pounds of boost. i'd reccomend the them if your just going with a simple rebuild but on anything performance, use a good forged pistion. icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

actually hyperetetics can handle ALMOST as much as a forged piston detonation wise. but the real reason i want to go with the "hyper" is because the higher silicone content of the metal means it doesn't swell very much at all. wich translates into longer lasting bore roundness, tighter tolerances, and better sealing wich means more power. also i don't really plan on cranking the boost much past the 12-15 PSI range.

Umm, I'd say that's not true with regards to hyper pistons. They're more brittle and one of the guys around here that's been running Nitrous for years tried them just once - blew the ring lands right off a coupe of them! Got his money back from KB, slapped in a set of forged pistons, and was happy as a clam.

Also, the silicone has been known to migrate out of the piston face in blisters in some cases. Turbo Magazine's Ford turbo car had that problem with Wysco hyper pistons. That may have been an anomoly but having seen more than a few broken OEM hypers I'm just saying "no". icon_rolleyes.gif