HybridZ

Mopar'd Z? Cool :)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey

New to the board, going to be picking up a 280Z for another project soon. Either going to do a buick V6 swap, or drop a mopar block in. Who's done the swap? SB/R/RB motor? HEMI? HAHA icon_wink.gif

Oh, and if anyone needs one.. I'll have a 318 w/ 904 trans available for 100 bucks soon (complete, running, will be comming from 74 'cuda shell). I also have a 383 short block that will need to be tanked, if anyone needs one.

MadMaxx

Guest Anonymous

Welcome aboard! Recently, I have been giving a great deal of thought and research into putting a fuel injected, supercharged, 331 Hemi into a 280. Hook it up to a T56 and it would be....Man oh Man! A Hemi Z would seriously score high on the WOW chart.

Guest Tht1KSguy

Great... just great... i had to open up the Mopar Board. If only there weren't so many choices in the world. I keep wanting something different other than my proposed SBC/200R4 combo... i want to row my own gears but don't want to pay for a T56 and i don't want something that everybody else has, like a SBC powered Zcar (everbody has one of those right?) icon_wink.gif well the different choice i'm thinking of would be the 400block/440crank combo (451) w/ an A333OD tranny.. then i can still shift gears cheaply and don't need to worry about the wide gear spacing w/ the torque of the big block and still have something different. I'm not so worried about the engine mounts as i would be the headers and clutch actuation... even if i weld them up myself i'm not sure how much room there is to get headers in there. I guess to solve that problem it'll just have to be twin turboed to the front of the engine compartment that has been discussed on other threads about TT-SBC... ahhh benchracing in wretched excess is a good thing... until i start buying parts. Hmmm maybe a 200shot of N2O... i wonder if breaking into the 8's are possible on the independent rear... 1fstz is at what? 9.70's

dream a little dream for me icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I would very much like to go Big Block but the weight is always the hindering factor. Alum big block heads are very pricy if you can find them. even with the Alum heads I think the weight of many BB's is up there. Unsure as to the weight of a complete 400. Turbos are cool but not for me. I like the simplicity of the supercharger. Fortunately on this site we have several turbo masters.

Guest Tht1KSguy

yeah the BB is heavier for sure but i figure since the tranny is only 80some# that should help some.. aluminum heads save about 40# and Summit has Mopar stage VI heads for $1400 yeah i know that's a chunk of change but any good SBC heads will still run you around a grand and the AFR's are $1200... then aluminum water pump and intake should lop off some more poundage and i'd bet we're getting close to an all iron small block weight... anyone have some input here?

Guest Anonymous

$1400.00 Thats not to bad, the Hemi heads I was checking into were $2495.00 so don't tell my wife.LOL! saving the weight with all the goodies is great but I wounder how much weight that leaves forward. I have no Idea how the weight compairs to a SBC with the same alum. goodies.

Guest Anonymous

actaully guys i've researched the whole big block idea. and it's funny since i was planning on doig a 451 too icon_biggrin.gif but i found the email address of somebody who had swapped in a 440 into a z (actually somebody here gave me his email address, thanks again!) but unfortunetly he told me that when he did it that there was NO room for exhaust he had to flip his headers upside down and mount on the opposite bank. so that his exhaust went straight out his hood icon_eek.gif with no muffler or anything just the stock manifolds and that was it. if you really want a big block, and who doesn't icon_smile.gif , i bet you could find a way with some tricky custom headers maybe notching the bottom of the fire wall so you can runn the pipe down but it will be a lot of work. that why i'm going with the small block.

mad maxx i'm interested in the tranny. how much for it? i need something to use while i save up for the keisler 5 speed.

also i had an insane idea the other night. if any of you know about the new 4.7L hemi headed v-8 in the new jeeps. you might know about the fact that their intake manifolds are made out of a plastic resin! since plastic is a thermal insulator it helps keep the intake charge tempature down significantly. any of you guys know wether they can be swapped on to an older block?? hmm.. my girlfriends dad has a cnc mill in his garage with all the hardware to hook it up to a computer (no kidding, he got it for christmas, the lucky dog) if i can find the right kind of plastic stock and create a CAD file for a m-1 style intake manifold i wonder if it would be worth it?

Guest John Adkins

Do you have a link to any pictures of the Z with the big block mopar that didn't have room for exhaust?

Here is a link to a site with installation

pictures of a big block mopar in 1st generation RX7:

http://www.kenalbin.com/rx7pics.html

He's using stock exhaust manifolds and from the undercar view there seems to enough room for exhaust.... and an RX7 is a bit smaller than a Z ...

Guest Anonymous

heh, i actually emailed that guy too icon_biggrin.gif , i found the site while putting around the net one night. very helpful guy if i do say so myself. and he says that those 451 are screamers. told me he has one in his mud truck and the thing raps faster than a 340! he also said that he thinks it might work with the B block since it is dimensionally smaller than an RB and about 30-40 lighter to boot. not a bg differance but every little bit helps. i first guy i had talked to had run a straight 440 i believe so maybe thats why he had trouble with exhaust although i wondered about it myself but i figured if he had done the swap he knew what he was talking about.

Guest Tht1KSguy

Well that doesn't sound too promising... i may still have to see if i can find a "B" block and heads that i can mock up in the engine bay just to get an idea of how tough the headers would be... even tighter since the tubes would probably be 1 7/8 or 2" and then trying to get 2 collectors under there... that idea may have to be shelved until my next project car i think it's going to be a '69ish Charger/Roadrunner with a cloned wedge nose from the Daytona/Superbird and maybe the rear wing too but i would think surely there is a better design with less drag than that. The car will be designed for open road racing with a 451 fuel injected and twin turboed. Bobby Isaac held the closed course record for like 13yrs at Bonneville i think it was 201mph w/ their Daytona i think it was running a hemi... could hit 225 on the straights, same car they ran at NASCAR races. The car has a drag coefficient of .28Cd which is still better than most cars on the road today along with lots of room underhood for my BB and turbos. I'd expect no less than 240mph, seriously. They were probably running 600+hp and the TT should have no problem cranking out over 1000. I think i'll run a pair of chutes too, tires will be my biggest concern probably run winston cup type slicks w/ the inner tire design. But hey this is a Z forum icon_smile.gif try Aerowarriors for a ton of info on these cars... i guess i'll still stick w/ my SBC/200r4 combo for now... maybe

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: Tht1KSguy ]

Guest Anonymous

The old dodge truck we use where I work has a 383 and it seems to look like it would fit especially with the truck headers. The weight would be a huge factor since mopar big blocks weight something like 125 more than a small block (saw a chart somewhere around here). 440 would be nice since parts for those fall out of the trees compared to other mopars. definitly would like to see pics.

Guest Anonymous

Just to change things up a bit, I was at the inlaws house tonight and took a look at the motor in his late model Chrysler LHS. Its a nice looking OHC 24 valve V6, long runners EFI with two throttle bodies, one for each bank. (I believe it was later available in the prowler as well) Its impressive looking hardware, I have to ponder how much that little V6 could put out with a pair of turbo's on it, not sure what its bolt pattern might interchange with, it is mounted north south but is a fwd'er. Its a bit wide but I think it'd fit a Z pretty neat. Stock its like over 200 hp, turbo'ed who knows, probably get pretty peppy though. icon_smile.gif Sorry for the topic change, I just wondered who else had seen that engine, its like a 3.5 litre V6.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Lone i inquired with the guru's at Mopar and they tell me there is no RWD trans made that fits this engine. Have been told that Getrag has a trans for the earlier FWD engines that were used in the Barber Dodge Spec Series. If anyone knows otherwise please set me straight as I would like this 3.5 engine in my 77 Datsun P'up

Guest Tht1KSguy

Surely there is a rwd tranny available since the Prowler uses the high output version of that V6 (DOHC i think) from the Intrepid. It would probably even be a fairly easy swap since like you said the engine already has the right orientation for the engine bay so engine mounts and exhaust could be easier... maybe.

In other news did u guys see the 440 buildup in Car Craft for the Nov. issue? The new Edelbrock heads caught my eye for $1200ish... i'm kinda surprised the the engine didn't make power better into the higher revs considering how much they spent on stuff... those $750 rail rockers scare me, maybe the cam is too short or the heads aren't very high flowing i haven't had a chance to look yet just cruised through the buildup.

Guest Anonymous

The way I understand the Prowler drivetrain to be, is like the vette, engine-driveline-transaxle. This might actually work ok, a Intrepid transaxle for a rear end, hmmm, interesting. I havn't confirmed what I said above, I read it but havn't seen a picture of a prowler driveline to know. I did read the engine puts out 250 hp stock.

Regards,

Lone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tht1KSguy

Uh oh... here we go... i just bought an original 10,000mile 400ci mopar and the 727 trans w/ it for $200. Score icon_smile.gif Now it seems a shame to do the 451 buildup on such a low mile motor.. it may go in the car this way for now since it actually runs (smoked a bit at startup after not being ran since 1975!) I'm guessing the stem seals are probably hard by now but i can replace them easily. Maybe i'll just do a cam & intake swap. The 727 isn't too useable for street driving so i'm still deciding... the A833 OD swap probably will probably be the answer. Guess i better go do some more reading on the "B" blocks.

c ya

Guest Tht1KSguy

Hmmm i may tell them no go on the motor afterall... CR is only 8.2 for that year i'd need to buildup w/ different heads anyway to get the HP i want... if you're going to build that big of an engine it might as well be stout. I would think i can find a 400 block for $50-100 anywhere around here and since the 727 won't work for my application that really wouldn't be a benefit either. Oh well if i change my mind i doubt that engine will be going anywhere soon... it's been there for 25yrs.