HybridZ

cry to all for help!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

okay you guys, i want everybody's opinion on this.

if you guys have read the threads lately you know that i was pondering what motor to run. i basically had it down to the obvious SBC 350. but my brain has been sizzleing and i got to get your reactions on this.

sorry but this will be a long post(just to let you know) i have been reading this website for a while now and i have noticed a reacurring theme, individuality. kind of a oxymoron isn't it. smile.gif but anyways on my quest to own my own unique car. which is truth be told still in the drawing board phase. i was thinkin of running a mopar small block.

if any of you remember my thread on 'cuda hood scoops i said i was working on a 74 charger,(now currently for sale). this is how i got to become familiar with these motors. it was equipped with a 318 that had a total amount of 300,000+! miles on it. now picture this, i see this car sitting in the same part for OVER a year and decide i would like to own it so i leave a note on the windshield expressing my interest. the next day the owner called me and she said i could take it for $200 biggrin.gif . so i got my cash together nd two days later it was mine. now here is the amazing part of the story. i get the key and walk over to the car expecting to have to call home for my dad's truck to tow it. this car was not in the greatest of shape rolleyes.gif. i pump the gass a few times, pop the hood and take off the air filter and blow into the carb to clear it out. this thing started right up!! WHAT A BEAST. i drove it home a huge grin on my face. everybody was tellin me this thing would not start and it was a waste of my money, how wrong they were. i got it home and did the basic maintanance to it and found i had been driving on only three cylinders well when i changed them out there was a BIG differance. i burnt the rubber just taking off, on accident of course biggrin.gif . and from then on i have been a mopar believer since.

don't get me wrong to each their own but hey what can i say. they are a good motor. i have a mag (aug 2000 mopar engines and tech) in my hand with dyno pull specs of a basically dead stock 360 with performer rpm heads, headers, and a alum. intake. the dyno

read max HP was 491@5750 and max trq was 467@4500. more than enough to have fun with.

what it boils down to is i want to know what you guys think the feasability of running a hopped up 360 in a 280zx is. i have yet to see somebody that runs one of these, which makes it fit the the whole individuality thing. plus there is that whole thing about those are the motor i learned to work on to start with and in my opinion are a very good motor.

just a few quick questions:

what is the weight difference between a SBC and a MBC?

do you think it will be any harder that a SBC swap?

anybody you can point me to?

sorry about the length of this post. REALLY!

oh, and another intersting fact when i was rebuilding the 318 (performance build). i found out that the motor had never been messed with mecanically it still had the factory gaskets on it. in fact those were the only thing that really neede to be relaced! if i do go ahead and do this swap i will be sure to document everything and set it up on a web page for everybody. thanks you guys i really appreciate your help.

pat

Guest Anonymous

just adding a little more info for you to mull over.

as to to weight issue mopar performance makes a alum. version of thir small blocks that has a basic hi perf. make over in the design but from what i can tell in the add it doesn't have any quirks like the LS1 tha means i can't swap parts with other MSB

I owned a 318 that was in a dodge ram charger, and had it out and rebuilt it once. Nothing wrong with those. We put 360 heads and an intake and a "Purple" cam in it and the thing would tear up the woods...and it was a two wheel drive version.

The motor will fit, and I don't think there is tyo much of a weight hit on them, but I do think they are a few pounds heavier than the SBC. However, I know of noone who has done it. Document everything when you do it, and get the JTR manual and kit and see what you can modify on it to use with the mopar...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

If thats what you want do it.. ... you even have the option of the overdrive 4 speed or maybe a efi magunum motor and a 5 speed. You might even be able to get one cheep because they arn't as popular as a small block chevy... Most of the basics will be the same as the JTR conversion, short of mocking it up you may be able to take some measurements off a chevy conversion and compare...

Good luck

i'd also noticed the near complete lack of mopar powered z's...

you know, there's a company that makes plastic engines. if you want to see if it will fit, you could just get one of those and bolt it in. might look a *tad* silly, but hey smile.gif

Just do a lot of measuring and document everything. I don't know of any Mopar swap as of yet, but it sounds really cool. CarCraft had a write up last month that talked about the Pontiac 455, which is in effect a SMALL BLOCK, and shares many interchangeable parts with its smaller brethren--it even weighs the same! Good luck with your swap--should be a ripper in that ZX!

David

Do it is my opinion! Dodge small blocks are very stout and the old style heads are great. I used to be a mopar diehard. The 360's are very torquey. I had a 72 duster with a 318 2.02 heads from the 69 340 and a nice purple shaft cam and the guys would not beleive it was not a 340. Excellent idea. If Drax did not buy my gold Z a friend around the bend from me was thinking the same thing. GO HARD MAN! wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

Guest John Adkins

Hey! Somebody thinks the way I do! I've got a 318 and torqueflite that I have been planning to put in my Z, and I have been researching and taking measurements to see if it will fit.

The small block Chevy is a good engine, but most of my experience with engines is with mopars and I have a spare engine and trans in the garage, so for me, Mopar is the way to go!

The Mopar small block is roughly the same width and length as the SBC. According to most sources, such as http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

the mopar small block is between 525 lbs(318) and 550 lbs(360) vs. 575 lbs for the SBC.

So the mopar small block is actually a little lighter or about the same weight as the small block chevy.

The starter and oil filter are the opposite of the SBC-- the starter on left, oil filter on the right.

One nice part about putting the mopar small block in the Z I've found is the position of the motor mount lugs on the engine block.On the mopar small block, the motor mount brackets are on the sides of the block at the #1 and #2 cylinders , so the offset motor mount plate that is needed to mount the sbc in the setback position isn't needed. In fact I plan to use stock pre-'73 A-body motor mount brackets and 4x4/truck rubber mounts.

Sanderson makes a nice set of block hugger headers for the small block mopar.

Center sump oil pans were used on cars, while trucks and vans usually had rear-sump oil pans. I'm using a rear sump oil pan because that's what I have. The center sump pan should work as well.

I would suggest using an A-body 727 or 904 torqueflite behind the mopar small block because of the short tailshaft. The trans out of the bigger cars have an extremely long tailshaft. A 700R4 could even be used, since there is an adapter available from TCI.

Edelbrock has reasonably priced aluminum heads available.

Now if I could just get some free time to work on it...

I've never posted about my mopar swap plans here because I didn't want to hear somebody ragging on me telling me I'm wasting my time (kind of like what happened to the guy that was posting about using mustang II front suspension.)

I grew up with buds with Chevy's, Mopars, and Fords. Seems the Mopars could run quite well! A bud had a 70 AAR Cuda with a hopped up 340 w/ W2 heads, single plane, solid cam, 4spd, 4.11s NICE ride.

I say go for it!

John, I'm very disheartened to hear that you kept quiet about this swap for fear of ridicule. That's exactly what we try NOT to have going on here - we want to hear about all kinds of swaps!

I can't wait to get SuperDan to make up a Mopar V8Z Tech Board!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited February 24, 2001).]

Guest JAMIE T

You could call it the, MAGNUM Z, or the SUPERBEE Z, that one will keep you super busy biggrin.gif I just thought that one up! Really though, look for 5 spds from late model Dakotas, a friend of mine has a 96 Dakota, MagnumV8, with a 5spd and he is relentless on it, it should hold up very well. Good luck on the swaps guys, and I am very sorry that you did not want to post about the swap sooner. That post about the mustang II suspension got flamed very early on. Modifying a car like we do takes vision, some folks don't have that.

------------------

Drive it like you stole it

Jamie

I own a dodge durango with a magnum 318 and the motor has tons of torque. It hauls that 4900lb Durango no problem. The only thing i would be concerned with is thelack of options on headers. I am sure that ther are

some out there, but i think the choices

are a little more slim. I know that the headers that I used on my sbc Z were choking

the motor bigtime. Beside that i say go for it!... My dad had an old delivery van that had the 318 and it had well over 300,000 before it was retired.

Myron

John, sorry that your posts were flamed regarding the Mustang II suspension. Although the forum is here for the free expression/opinions about Z cars etc., people still have opinions--but the way they are expressed can make all the difference...

Guest Anonymous

hey thanks guys, i think i will do the mopar swap if not just for sh**s and giggles. i definitely think it would be cool to open a mopar bulletin and you can absolutely count me in for support for anybody who wants to follow suit. i will try my best to document everything i do in my quest for a nice ride.

hey pauli, i would really like to know the name of the company that makes those plastic motors so that i can try some mock ups with soomething that is reasonably light. that way i can get the measurements down with the least amount of hassle smile.gif .

if i can get your email address john that would be cool so we could converse more easily during the course of the conversion to swap some ideas.

as for drivetrain i saw in a new mag that there is a after market fivespeed that is based off the 904 fourspeed i believe and that is what i would like to run. i was thinkng of finding a magnum intake with efi and using that in a pre '76 block (thicker casting) would that work?

yo know the more i think about it the more i like this idea. there is something about taking a car and making it specifically YOURS that is very rewarding.

Guest Anonymous

I'm kinda late piling on here, but thats ok, agree with the others. If you got it, do it. I yardsticked it when I was looking at all the potential swap engines and it looks like a pretty good swap. I've personaly driven and riden in some awful fast Mopars, the 340 was a beast with huge valves and it would rev real quick. My partners 340 challenger saw the better part of 130 before common sense set in (we were in the city.. smile.gif ). Great durability, hard to kill. They do also have the A500(?) transmission which is a small (904) torqueflite with a overdrive on the back, used in they're Dakota, Durango. As they say, document it, you and John may become the SBM Z guru's.

Good luck with it,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

i was think i have found the choice drivetrain for my now determined motor. it is the tranny i mentioned above. i finally caved in to temptation and bought the mag with the article. it is not based oof the 904 like i thought (oops) but it is instead basicly a trick tremec TKO 5spd, just tak a look at these impressive

goodies and specs.

choice of 0.68:1 or 0.83:1 overdrive gears.

0.83:1 has 4515 steel alloy gear set capable of handling up to 470 ft/lbs! eek.gif in fifth gear alone.

full cnc finished bellhousing for perfect fit.

instead of stock bronze pilot shaft bushing it uses a sealed needle roller bearing

zinc chromate plated precision made tranny cross member.

custom 3" lightweight steel alloy driveshaft balanced for up to 10,000 rpm

mates up to any standar two bolt shifter

and much more is offered through the people who makes this. the manufacturer is keisler automotive engineering and electric, 3657 willwood Rd, maryville TN, 37804. phone# is 865-982-8198. this is definately on my christmas wish list and from what i read it isn't all that expensive either (stated it was cheaper than a richmond 6spd) also they tested this tranny out by hooking it up awith a 620 horse hemicuda since last summer and they say it has performed flawlessly. oh i want,i want...

------------------

how was I to know that it would do that!..heh..cool...do it again!

unfortunately, i can't seem to find out who makes the plastic motors :/ i saw it on either horsepower tv or trucks, but the archives on their sites only go back through august now, and i guess it was on before then. damn.

Guest Anonymous

no worries, it would have been nice to have those but the motor is going to go in there one way or another in the end.

now that ihave determined that i will run a sbm i just have to decide betwteen a 360 and a 340. the 360 are more plentiful but the 340 was designed as a high perf. mototr from the get go. hmm... decisions decisions

You can take the old style 318 blocks safely to .040 thou. over since it has the same bottom end. The 360 are plentiful and lots of bottom end torque. Hard decision but you definately need the pre'70 340 heads or alum. aftermarket to make any real power. Header selection is plentiful so no worries there. Good luck and keep us posted bud!

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz