HybridZ

v-8 removal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am about to start hte first phase of my project. The removal of a donor engine and tranny from my old Dodge van. It's a 85 318, 727 torqueflight that will be rebuilt from the bottom up.

My question is....... (drum roll please)..... What parts should I pull in addition to the engine/tranny?

I am assuming that I keep the driveshaft, radiator... But what else? Alternator, starter, smog stuff (as I hope to keep it CA legal). How about the electronics?

Any ideas? I can use all the help I can get. Thanks in advance!!

Guest Anonymous

Keep everything that is hooked to the engine. From the aircleaner to the oil pan. I don't know about the radiator it depends on the dimentions. The radiator I will be using for my z is 19x24. I don't know about the radiators for vans. hopefully your radiator will fit cause it will save money. You'll need the started unless you buy a new one which would help with clearence issues but I don't think it's absoulutly necessary. keep the driveshaft cause youll have to use one end of it anyway. As for the alternator I will just use a one wire seems alot easier than the chrysler one. Of course I will need to make brakets. I don't know much about your smog issues 'cause we don't have them here (I know I'm lucky). What year is your Z? from what I heard 73 and older don't need smog in Cali. best of luck and keep us posted on the auto tranny

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Landis,

The Z is a 79 zx coupe. The current l-28 will be moved into a 79 zx 2+2, whose motor needs a rebuild.

Once the van is gone and the 2+2 is running, then the rebuild of the 318 will begin. Then I plan to build the backup L-28 from the 2+2 (factory original) and replace the 2+2 back to factory condition. Then I will complete the v-8 transplant to the coupe. Sounds complicated doesn't it.

I will be a regular on the board as I progress.