HybridZ

Tranny's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Question:

727 Torqueflight or 5 speed manual?

I like the 5 speed trannys, and I wish to make the V-8 ZX a road style car, so manual tranny is best. Auto for drag only, right?

Also thoughts on the verison of 5 speed that is a good choice to find to fit 318 Mopar from 1985. Since cost is a factor, (all that say cost is no object are liars anyway) I would like to find one from a recycler, so what type of 5 speed do I look for, and from what vehicles?

That should keep the Mopar crowd busy for a while. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest John Adkins

I guess it depends on what you want to use the car for.... Most people like the 5-speeds for the overdrive 5th gear which is good for highway cruising and for more of a "sports car" feel. The 727 has a 1:1 third gear.

Automatics are usually used for consistency in drag racing and are usually stronger than manuals. It's also nice to have an automatic when you have to creep along in traffic on a crowded freeway...

If you want to go automatic, you can get overdrive

with an A500 or 518 which is basically a torqflite with an overdrive 4th gear added. They are really popular with the mopar musclecar crowd.

For manual transmissions you can get a modified tremec five speed for a mopar here:

Keisler Automotive

Or you could get an A-833 OD ( an aluminum case mopar 4 speed with overdrive 4th gear).

Guest Anonymous

you can also get a 5 speed manualthat will fit the small blocks from the later daode dakotas. i think from something like 94 and on it was a option for them. also the dakota r/T come standard with a five speed manual and a 360 motor might want to look for those from a recycler. i know to get one from the dealership it is prohibitively expensive. like 2500 big one for a new one. which i basicly the same price as the keisler unit and nowhere near as nice of a piece of equipment.

Guest super280z

V8zfreak,

ALL dakota R/T's have the A-518 automatic trans. the dak 5 speeds are found behind a 4.7l, 5.2l or the 2.5l and the latter is a weakling. the close ratio NV3500 is the one you'd probably want because of it's higher tq rating but, i'm still set on the GM 6 speed. now if i could just find a custom bellhousing...

Guest Anonymous

Super 280Z,

So if you were looking for a r speed that would bolt to a 85 318 v8, which would you try to find? Recycler is the source, cost prohibitive for new.

Thanks

Guest super280z

Rick,

the deal with mopars is kinda sad. parts are harder to come by but when you find something awesome it's like digging up a buried treasure. im sure you know that by now. if i were completely set to build a mopar for my z i'd be scouring the internet for a good bellhousing for a 5 speed. the tremec's and borg warners are relitively easy to find from wrecking yards and a company called keisler automotive makes good bell's for them. good luck and keep us posted.

Guest John Adkins

Keisler actually doesn't make bellhousings for 5 speeds. They remachine a core bellhousing the customer supplies to fit their Tremec 5-speed conversion . I posted a link to their site in an earlier reply to this thread....

Speaking of bellhousings... Hays makes a Mopar small block bellhousing with the GM Muncie/Richmond T10 trans pattern (Hays part #77-325). I'm not up on T5s or other GM trans, but maybe this could be used to adapt a GM pattern T5? I don't think a T56 would work since they have a unique bellhousing....

Guest super280z

John, thanks for the keisler info. i had seen there ad for the TKO 5 speed just like every one else in a mopar mag. i just assumed that they were making the actual housings. i had seen the housing for the muncie though. some good friends of mine deal in hmose 4 speeds and it had crossed my mind. the 6 speed still just sounds a little too enticing and the search continues for the right adapter. BTW, what kind of mopar are you building for your z?

Guest John Adkins

Not really building a motor, just refreshing icon_biggrin.gif

I have a spare 318 that I am going to put in. Over Christmas vacation I tore it down for bearings and gaskets. The cylinders still had cross-hatching in them, and the bearings were the originals from 1972, so I just put new standard size bearings in along with a new oil pump and timing chain. Checked bearing clearances with plastigage and everything was as good as new... The motor is going together with a 4 speed overdrive in the Z....

Speaking of six speeds, is the bellhousing bolt pattern on the Viper V10 the same as the small block? Perhaps a Viper T56 bellhousing could be found.... Probably $$$$$$ though... icon_sad.gif

Guest John Adkins

There was a thread a long time ago about bolting a BW T5 to a T10 bellhousing:

T5 to T10 bellhousing thread

(see Pete's post, 3rd one down from the top)

It looks like a T5 will bolt to a T10 bellhousing... so, for a cheap 5 speed swap, you could get the Hays Mopar to Chevy/T10 bellhousing and use a T5 from a Camaro V8(so the bellhousing depth & input shaft length would match). T5s are pretty cheap and though they are not as strong as a t56, you'd have an inexpensive 5 speed manual trans for a mopar....

Guest super280z

John,

sounds like a cool swap. what did you have in mind as far as motor mounts go? i had actually contemplated using a mopar in my z a while back. i was thinking that you could adapt the JTR bracket to work. just use the same style setback plates with a mopar pattern instead of using the mopar mounts and some other custom jobber. just a thought.

the thought of using the Viper trans had crossed my mind. i remember watching some tech show about the car and they mentioned that the motor is basically an aluminum version of the 360 +2 more holes. perhaps like you said just the bellhousing could be used instead of the complete Viper t56. the reason im so set on this tranny is because i can get one for relitavely cheap (~$400) and the thought of having another gear is very appealing. good info on the t-10 and 5 speed swap. that really sounds like a winner for the folks who want a 5 speed but dont have the cash to do the keisler. i think you have the answer that Rick was looking for.

Guest John Adkins

I'm going to use shortened truck steel mounts... From my measurements, they should line up directly with the Datsun mount towers and put the distributor ~1/2" from the firewall...