HybridZ

changing the v8 sound...

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

can you change the cam or something to get rid of the lub lub lub sound of the engine? like make it sound more smooth, and maybe have it rev to like 7600-7800? thanks.

dan

Guest Anonymous

Well you could dampen it a bit with a turbo and then you won't need to rev it that high to make sick power. *shrug* I also found you can change the sound radically by crossing two wires, been there done that lots! icon_rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Lone

I've heard a V-8 Ford 351 racing car with 8 into 1 headers that sounded like a rotary on 'roids. This thing screamed and revved to 8500 rpm, but what's a V-8 without the deep ropey sound? icon_biggrin.gif There's nothing better than a nice lumpy v8 idling (except maybe a 34-26-34) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Tim

I saw 8 into 1's on a f5000 single seater. Wicked sound. Mabye if we brought the pipes up and forward like on TVR's we could get them to fit. Sounds cheeper then a flat plane crank. I cant seem to find one anyway.

Douglas

180 degree headers pair up the cylinders that are 180 degrees apart. You still have two collectors, but some of the pipes for each collector come from both sides of the motor. Common in dirt track modified cars. Plumbing is a pain because half the tubes have to cross over the motor somewhere. The modifieds are tube framed and plastic or sheet metal bodied so have more freedom for pipe routing.

Have a friend who owns a mufflershop. Had a beautiful BB chev 427ci pull truck with 180s. Sounded WILD. Like a huge zipper amplified 1000 times. Been for rides in a 10,000 rpm snmall block car. Always made me cringe icon_eek.gif once it was above 8,000

Oh yeah, change the sound...How about dropping in a 6 icon_wink.gif

JS

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: John Scott ]

Guest Anonymous

34-26-34? Only if she's 5'3 icon_smile.gif I have to agree, the lub-lub, is what makes the v8. I love the way I get heads turned when the hear the roar of my car, and they keep looking for the chevy, hehehe Has anyone done an x-pipe? I just had my exhaust done by a friend, and he just ran them straight back to twin mufflers, runs and sounds pretty darn good. I want to run bigger exhaust, but there just isn't much room.

sean

Sean,

I put headers and 2.5 inch pipes on my 71 chev truck exiting just forward of the rear wheels. The exhaust sound was very raspy and harsh, especially on throttle lift. I installed a cross pipe (1inch) just after the collectors. It made the world of difference. The engine sounds smoother and not nearly as harsh. I've heard that the X pipe is even more effective.....if that's true, I can't recommend it enough.

Tim

Guest Justin

Well, if you really really want to smooth out the sound, the simplest solution I can think of is a smaller duration cam with a wider LSA... but of course that comes at the expense of performance.

I had a mild 270 adv (224@.050) .468 lift solid cam in my 9.7:1 327 with 461 heads, 1-5/8" Hooker block huggers, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, and Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo mufflers (2.5" center in, side out) in my Z a while back. Mikelly heard it run.

It has an X pipe (Dr. Gas, 2.5") just behind the transmission.

To me, the sound of the X-pipe on this system at 3000+ rpm is pure music. If you can, do the X-pipe instead of the H-pipe. You gain a bit of torque, it sounds nice, and hey, if the NASCAR guys use it, it's NOT hype.

Guest Anonymous

I like the rumplty sound but the coolest thing I have ever heard is my buddy's sand dragger. Tube chassis, fiberglass flat-fender Willy's jeep. Revs to 10,000+. Its is a 327 with roller everything and big open headers. AAAHHHhhhhh! SO pretty.

Guest Anonymous

The "lub-lub" sound is produced by the firing of two cylinders on the same bank one after the other. On a SBC this is 5 and 7. 4 and 8 also fire like this but don't seem to make the same sound. You can mask it slightly by going to a single exhaust pipe, say a mandrel bent 3inch system. All 8 exhaust notes leaving through one tube produce a distinctive difference. I had duals for years, and in the very early cars there just isn't enough room for two large mufflers. I went to a Street Y Collector (2.5 x 3inch) with a Walker race muffler and a 3 inch Edelbrock flow through muffler. Simple and light weight. The quarter mile times were virtually unchanged. Both cars that I am familiar with which are equipped with this setup run low 11 sec times. John Lindsay (senior) did it first and I couldn't believe how quick the car still was. Learn something new everyday.

Kim

Guest super280z

Justin,

thank you so much. i got about half way down the post and thought i was gonna flip cause nobody mentioned the LSA fact.

the easiest way to cut down on the deep cam sound is to widen the LSA. if you look on a site like ls1.com or camaroz28.com for cam sounds, you'd be amazed at what you can find. look for a cam with high lift numbers and about 114 LSA. just be sure that your heads can handle the lift. ie, dont use a .650 in lift cam on stock heads. (sorry if you know this already, i know it frustrates me when ppl try to educate me on stuff i allready know.) check this

Cam sounds page

this dude has some purdy sweet sounding wav's up check the one called est96z. i think this might be as close as your gonna get w/o 4 cats and a stocker muffler.

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Super280z ]