HybridZ

changing the v8 sound...

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Changing camshafts for engine sound seems counter productive. Expect to lose some power compared to a 110 degree LSA (all else the same) Even with the wider lobe centers (which are usually found on bigger street grinds, ie Crane Energizer 284)it is still going to sound like a V8. If you want to spin it up high, reduce the LSA donw to 106 or so and HANG ON!

Dan,

Go here www.revsearch.com and listen to the dino dun on the 450 hp engine. Dodge 360 with 180 degree headers. I like it. I am looking for a sound that doesnt give away the v8. This achives that nicely. Sounds a lot more revvy.

More interesting stuf here as well www.headersbyed.com

I have ordered the info and thery package. I will post something, if its not already done, when I understand it.

Douglas

My father just finished a '74 XJ6 Jaguar with 400 TPI SBC with the stock RV/towing cam. It uses rams horn manifolds and a "Dr. Gas" synchronizing crossover (basically an X-pipe). I haven't heard it much yet, but with the mufflers he selected, he said it's almost too quiet--and he built it to be a gentleman's express. He also said it sounds like a 6 cyl; no V8 lump-lump.

180 degree headers run one tube from each bank to the collector on the opposite bank.

This is done so that each collector has cylinders emptying into it at even intervals.

If you want a smooth idle, go with a mild cam. Although bleed down hydraulic lifters might help the idle quality with an aggressive cam.