HybridZ

Headers

BLKMGK

Spoke to Rewarder today to find out where the bleep my headers are. Ordered with 3-day shiping on Monday and they still aren't here...

Well, it seems they're still MAKING the headers! Doh! However, this is probably goiong to turn into a GOOD thing. When I asked them if the collectors could be extended a bit he said "certainly" and that he would ship them to me unfinished and uncoated. I could then mark where I wante the flange attached and have them weld itcoat them or weld them here and let them coat the headers.

This does mean a PITA of having to send them back and forth however at this point I surrender and will endure the added hassle icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, I couldn't take a day off to get them done early next week anyway so I might as well do this "right". I'll take pics and measurements so that others can order from them and perhaps we can even get a particular part number for us - wouldn't that be cool? So, hang in there a little longer guys - I think this is going to work out to our benefit. Hrm, and the guy I spoke to was REAL nice and very accomodating. He sounds like the guy making the headers and I was MUCH more comfortable speaking to him on the phone than I was Sanderson (shrug).

Sounds better Jim, I didn't want to bug you but since they're not made yet....did you spec the 1404 for them to match your header flange to this? Might want the lower tubes swept back a bit to make that 90 a little less harsh..(or see if they can include some mandrel 90's at least, I recall that being no trouble in talks last time), lets hope they come thru for you!..good luck, I hope to do up my drawings for them this wknd icon_smile.gif

Didn't spec the gasket, I'm betting that it will be fine though since the 1404 seems to be made for 1.75 tubes. As for the colectors, no biggie I've already got exhaust on it for the 1 5/8ths Flowtechs. I bought their header "toobs" which are mandrel bent sweeping pipes made for this job. I'm not sure it'll line up exactly, in fact it probably won't, but the exhaust shop can fix that easily enough. I just hope that they don't have to chop it up too much or I'll lose my O2 bungs icon_sad.gif Noticed that the Toobs are rusting and the rest of the pipe isn't too icon_sad.gif I'll deal and will take pics as I go. Hopefully this won't be a big deal and we can all get something out of it...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jake. Jim lives about 40 minutes up the road from me. Believe it or not, I'm REALLy interested in what Jim finds out here, because I was bouncing back and fourth on this VERY issue. Jim, when they come in let me know. Might come up and give you a hand AND see how they turned out. For the cost and customer service this may be the way to go. Also, Jim, if they bring that flang far enough down, why not have some O2 bungs added to the flange? Bet they could do that and then you could just cap the ones on the downtube. Let me know if you want an extra set of hands.

Mike icon_cool.gif

No word yet, need to holler at them and see what's up. I want to try and keep my existing O2 bungs and maybe even try to hook thes to my existing exhaust. Will see when it shows up - hopefully soon! Will let you know - extra hands are always good to have aorund fo rthis icon_smile.gif

Okay, the Rewarder unfinished headers showed up the other day. Bummer, they look just like the Sansersons icon_sad.gif However since these are unfinished the collector can be extended and I think that will fix them fine. They sent along a mandrel bent U to allow me to do this as I want. Given time Saturday I'll be working on this. Once I've got it figured out I'll send them back and have them finished up. May port them a bit too as they've got a touch of slag in the primaries (shrug). I'll snap a pic before I do anything to them and let everyone know how they work out. Perhaps we can get a header model just for us? icon_biggrin.gif

Great to hear Jim, I've been checking each day awaiting your update! Can you pleeeeeze measure their 'profile' from the header flange 'surface' to the tubes........ie. if I extend a line straight down from my heads exhaust ports what are the measurements to the closet edge of the tubes and the outermost edge of the tubes? and if you can measure dead centre of the collector in same axis with it's width (or diameter), that'd be very kewl! icon_smile.gif

I was looking at my drawings last night and debating 2.5 or 3" collectors..... icon_confused.gif

Jim,

I'm glad they came in and are just what you had described...I'm seriously thinking about long tubes from S&S, but we'll see. I really want as much bang for the buck as possibly, But I already have an exhaust that would accomidate a Block Hugger...

Mike

Ross, I didn't see you request until just now and I just got out of the garage icon_sad.gif

Good news though - these puppies MIRROR the Flowtechs! If Flowtech headers fit your app then I believe these will too! icon_biggrin.gif Had there been a flange on these headers I could've bolted up the exhaust - it was amazing. No extension needed, these will work as is with a flange on them.

I DID find that the ports don't match the Felpro 1404 gasket like the Sandersons did. The gasket sent with them is generic and the port shape a bit different. I ported some flash out of them and took some pics which I'll post as soon as I have time icon_rolleyes.gif

Also Ross, I took a pic of the headers side by side with the Flowtechs AND I took a pic of them with a tape measure coming out from the pan rail. These come VERY close to touching the JTR setback plate but do NOT touch it - I managed to get my fingernail in there icon_smile.gif No clearancing has ever been done on my setback plates though. I could almost get my finger between the steering shaft and the header. I didn't test fit the passenger's side but I'm pretty sure that's not needed...

Once these are installed and my additional mufflers on the car I'll be having it dyno'ed again. My fingers are crossed! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Jim, glad they work for you icon_biggrin.gif I haven't a clue how 'flowtechs' measure up so can't compare that...my ZX and steering is very different from your Z setup. Plug access still very good with them? (at least we have the same rpm straight plug heads for comparison....) look fwd to seeing your pics

Plug access is decent. Tubes come down just behind where the setback plate is. Haven't pulled the pics yet but will try to do so today. A shame the Sanderson headers didn't fit like this - those were some truly sweet headers that port matched perfectly!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, got the headers back from Rewarder, still not pulled pics from camera icon_rolleyes.gif - I apologize Ross! Will be trying to install them this weekend, I hope the flanges line up well enough that my existing exhaust doesn't need to be modified. icon_biggrin.gif The coating looks good, I'm glad I ported them before having them coated! I'll have to consider having the intake and other parts coated too icon_smile.gif

I'll let everyone know how they fit. The Sanderson's had a better port match but they hit in too many places on my car...

Guest Anonymous

Hopefully these pics of the S&S Headers installed will help you all a little bit. These pictures are really dark -- my digicam has a sucky flash.

My Z pics

It's the last link. If you need a better angle or something let me know and I'll put up more pictures.

- They are mounted on a '95 Vette LT1

- They do fit rather well but you have to remove your knock sensors.. They really hug the block.

- I haven't put them IN THE CAR yet, so I don't know if there are any clearance issues yet. Will let you all know by this weekend.

- They do hang below the pan some, will check exactly how much and let you know. It kind of seems like a lot by eyeballing it. icon_sad.gif