HybridZ

Muffler That Gives Most Clearance

Scottie-GNZ

I am doing some research in hopes of finding a muffler that provides the most clearance in the driveshaft tunnel area. I believe this limits me to a bullet shaped muffler. What experiences do we have out there with mufflers like the Race Magnum Bullet? I am paticularly interested in hearing from anyone with a turbo as the "noise" factor is certainly different as opposed to a NA. I am just tosing around some ideas of redoing my exhaust and having it exit on the pass side in front of the wheel. Thinking of running bullet muffler(s) in the driveshaft tunnel then oval tube under the floorpan exiting out the side. I love the look of an oval tune exiting out the side.

I know they come in 12" and 16" and wondered what a single 16" sounded like with a turbo or maybe I could even put 2 12" in series. Just thinking out loud now but looking for input.

Guest Anonymous

Hope you guys haven't gotten sick of this but why don't you check out Car Chemistry's exhaust cutouts? Looks pretty interesting and solves the whole ground clearance issue completely. Who knows, if we get enough of us interested we can start some kind of group buy, especially since takman57 knows those guys icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyhow Scotty, check the Chevy forum, we're running a couple threads discussing these things

How about Spintech

List Price: $130.50

Online Price: $125.50

Inlet Size: 2 1/2 Inch Center

Outlet Size: 2 1/2 Inch Center

Case Size: 2 1/4 X 9 X 16

Description:

You asked for it - you got it. The

lowest profile muffler available

today. Only 2 1/4 inches thick. An

excellent muffler for those who like

to cruise. Excellent flow rates,great sound and plenty of ground clearance. Description

14.jpghttp://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]

Mike,

the Spintech looks like the best option so far with the 2.25" thickness and oval pipes. The shop that does all my exhaust work happen to be a Spintech distributor and deals a lot with oval tubing. http://www.certifiedmuffler.com

Next time the car is in the air I will mock up a 9"x16" cardboard muffler and see how it fits.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, their supposed to be pretty good about doing custom mufflers too, if you may want something narrower, longer or whatever, they'd do that. Unless the design will screw up they're flow rates and sound or something. The inside looks like pieces of pipe sandwiched between the top and bottom of the muffler.

Regards,

Lone

How about this muffler...6" wide, 3" inlet/outlet and 21" long. Summit part # is WLK17223 and only $59.95 (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp%3FType%3Dbysummitpart%26Part%3DWLK17223%26Search.x%3D1%26SearchType%3DBoth) I haven't tried it but have been look into it to buy.

Do you think this will a good fit on the 240z's?

dynomax.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Scotties right, if its long, with a 3" pipe, that curve ain't going to cut it. You can angle it a bit to take some of the bend out of that angle, I used the summit turbo which was about that size, and angled the pipe pointing out somewhat (the exhaust points up and slightly left looking at it from the back) and even then I had quite a time with the joint to my 3" pipe and clearing everything. Wide tired cars would probably have a problem with this setup for sure.

Aut_0036.jpg

Regards,

Lone

Ps: No, its not quiet enough, it needs another muffler in the tunnel IMHO. icon_mad.gif

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Damm I bought one the other day brandnew $50 shipped. I guess I have to go sell it. Anyone want to suggest a good 3" straight through muffler in the standard position?

Sorry Scottie about not starting my own post on this. The positive side is everyone can see the different choices. The subject line drew me in thinking it was for the stock location. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey Ron, maybe not, the summit muffler I have is they're cheapy 20.00 turbo, you probably bought they're welded one, not sure how long that one is or how loud it is.

Regards,

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

Hey Ron, maybe not, the summit muffler I have is they're cheapy 20.00 turbo, you probably bought they're welded one, not sure how long that one is or how loud it is.

Regards,

Lone

Hey Lone... The one I have is pictured below. It shouldn't be loud with normal driving becaue of the turbo. The length is 21" and the size is 4 1/2 " So what do think, to long? Scottie said it might be to long or a really tight fit.

dynomax.jpg

I am currently running those low profile spinntechs on my 350 powered 71 Zcar. I really like the sound and clearance issues are a thing of the past.

zfan..Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Ron I just measured it under the car, and its 20.5"'s from the tip of the inlet to the tip of the outlet, it'll be close but I believe it can be done. Get the tightest radius 3" pipe 90's you can find because the 90 deg turn to head down towards the differential and under it is a killer if its radius is two wide. I have maybe an inch behind the muffler to the back roll pan.

If the body itself excluding the inlet and outlet pipes is 21", I donno, that would be pretty long and very well might not fit.

Regards,

Lone

Scottie, Sorry It took so long to answer but my computer has the craps and is giving me fits. Ive got duels right under the car the old fashion way. no clearance issues do to the low profile mufflers, only 2 1/2" thick. Will try to get pictures to post this weekend.

zfan...Mike