HybridZ

Muffleration :)

Guest Anonymous

Guest super280z

omar,

im not real knowledgable on the Apexi stuff simply because to me it's rice equipment. (im not trying to bash anyone but it's a big step for me.)

but hey if it works i might look into it. maybe i didnt explain what i meant in better detail. thats ok i guess i'll be stuck with a lousy multi-million dollar idea with a dumb ol pattent.

since you mentioned the hp potential of your motor, i'd advise against the CC inserts. go back and look at the numbers posted on their website. sure they may produce some muffling affects but why do you think that they dont have any numbers over 4500? it seems like these inserts will be seriously detremental to flow in the higher revs.

again this is just my opinion but whatever you decide on is your own chioce and w/400 or hp it's still gonna scream. just find yourself the happy meduim. good luck

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

ok, here is my 1976 280Z with the Apex'i N1 muffler. i bought the silencer just incase it was too loud...but it isnt loud at all. it has a very deep low rumble to it. it dosnt crackel or make and annoying noises. it is an awesome muffler. it looks as good as it preforms and i highly recomend it. just make sure you get the N/A version because the turbo version is WAYYYYYYYYY too big for a Z i think fe496a6e.jpg.orig.jpgfe496a9b.jpg.orig.jpgfe496a97.jpg.orig.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I emailed the CC people regarding the very same thing, and this is what they told me:

"You should have no trouble since you are running a straight thru muffler as

well. The dyno chart only went to 4000RPM, because these were developed for

NHRA racing and they measure sound at 3500 RPM. Above that figure they can

create back pressure that could lead to a H.P. loss. The key is tuning the

engine by dropping jet sizes, since a rich condition is the result of back

pressure. We sell a tremendous number of these to racers, who love them.

They are running the same E.T.

s as without the inserts. In addition we have Street Rods with "zoomies"

running on the street with only the inserts in the open pipes."

Besides, you would think that if it doesn't provide much backpressure at 4000 (neighborhood of peak torque) its not gonna provide that much more at 6000-6500. What do you guys make of this?

Guest Anonymous

I'm glad to hear that, any annoying resonances or vibrations? I know that the N1 can be very boomy at 2-3k. What engine setup do you have anyway? and how is your exhaust routed?

You started it? Damn, I missed that - it sounds good? No resonance? Hrm, that might have been a better solution for me. Oh well, the Sebring looks SWEET but it's a touch loud under 2K RPM in the car. I figure a couple of bullets will fix my resonance.

Any chance you could make a recording for us to hear? If you send me a WAV I can MP3 it and put it up. Would love to hear it - mine backraps a little too - do you get any of that?

well jim - you'll just have to DRIVE out to the MSA show next spring so we can hear the difference between your 14" sebring and my 18"

one to see if mine is much quieter..

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey Owen and S30, can you post us some pictures and/or more information about your respective exhaust setups?

Owen, I might have seen pics of yours but they were on the car, It'd be great if you had pics of the exhaust sitting around.

Also, if someone has any measurements or a template of the exhaust layout that would be great. Would make prototyping this sucker a lot easier! Any volunteers? :-P

Guest tom sixbey

have you guys seen the 45 inch glasspacks that summit sells? GOOD GRIEF! bonk.gif i really wonder how they would sound with a resonator of some sort... i dont suppose they would fit under the zcar, but perhaps the 27 inch 'packs would...

also - summit is selling a muffler that is straightflowing that could help you out.. - it splits the flow into two ceramic pipes and combines them again for a single outlet. - i've no clue on how loud this stuff is though...

Guest Anonymous

Damn, that's long! icon_wink.gif

Problem is they're 2 1/2" in diameter, which makes em too small. However, there's part # WLK-24214 which looks promising... 4" diameter, 2 1/2" in/out and is 23" long glasspack. You can use a pair of these after the headers, in conjunction with a bullet muffler at the tailpipe. Anybody here have any experience with glasspacks? How do they flow and how would they sound? Would they be quiet enough?

As for these split mufflers, are you talking about something like this?

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mufflers.html

Looks like it flows well, and I can see how it would silence a bit better since it has the sound waves crash into each other an additional time. What do you guys think?

Guest Anonymous

Well, I have a Cherry Bomb on my '75 Z with the L28 in it, it's about 20 something inches, and it sounds REALLY cool I think. I dunno how it flows, but it seems to work really good now that I have the duel downdraft Weber carbs on it. It gets REALLY loud when you rev it, but for normal driving it isn't TOO loud, but loud enough to call attention to yourself.

I am planning to do dual 2.5" into single 3". Question is: Is there a muffler that has 2x 2.5" inlets and one 3" outlet. That way I can use the muffler as a 'Y' into the 3" and not need to have 3 mufflers (one on each of the 2.5" pipes and one on the 3" pipe)?

Otherwise I was planning on using two resonator types on the 2 2.5" sections and a regular(box)type on the 3" section. I don't mind losing a couple of horses with the 2 into 1 muffler, but I don't want to unnecesarily block up the exhaust system.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I looked around the Dynomax and Magnaflow catalogs for you, and here's what I found

Magnaflow

12198 5x8" body 14" long

12288 5x8" body 18" long

12388 5x8" body 24" long

12588 5x11" body 22" long

Dynomax

17273 5 1/2"x11 body 23" long

according to their catalog, the dynomax muffler flows 651 cfm, which is good for up to ~300bhp, before causing a significant restriction. I would imagine the magnaflows flow similar numbers so I don't think using a muffler in place of a Y-pipe would be a very good idea, especially since clearance is somewhat tight around there, so you'd have to really compromise ground clearance.

We're probably better off running one of the following in conjunction with the main muffler

2 turbo mufflers flowing 400cfm+ at the 2.5" piping

2 4" round bullet mufflers at the 2.5" piping

I don't think using glasspacks would be a very good idea as I suspect they flow very poorly

or 1 5x8" straight through muffler in series with the main muffler at the 3" piping

What do you guys think would be the best combination to run?

Guest Anonymous

I was just reading some past posts, and according to Ross, if we were to use mufflers with fiberglass in them close to the headers, the fiberglass would expand and severly constrict the flow, not to mention shorten its life. So from what I understand, we should be looking for mufflers with no fiberglass filling to use as resonators right? What have you guys used successfully as resonators?

"according to Ross, if we were to use mufflers with fiberglass in them close to the headers, the fiberglass would expand and severly constrict the flow" I said nothing of fiberglass expanding as I recall. I live in a very humid climate so the breakdown of the fiberglass/it's tendency to attract moisture is a concern of mine. In those archived threads I also posted a PN for a non-packed resonator. I used a 2.5" in/out fiberglass packed resonator on a 2.5" single system and that resonator was hugely restrictive. At present it's removed and just a 2.5" muffler on my 2.5" system. I'll go to a straight thru resonator (no glass) and decent rear muffler (sebring perhaps) on my next (3rd) system.

I'll basically be duplicating my fathers LT1/240Z exhaust which I really like.........nothing annoying about it at all, surprisingly quiet and decent flowing. Single 3" to large resonator (red devil) and then a 3" in/out walker turbo muffler.

only downside is ground clearance to the large bottle mid car.