HybridZ

NEW EFI system hits market

BLKMGK

Not sure if this one is JUST out or if perhaps it's been out and I've not heard anything about it. Anyway, it's got Windows based software and many of the features that other systems have. The interesting points I've noted just breezing over the specs are dual O2 sensors, WideBand capability, and user programmable inputs icon_biggrin.gif That last one ocul dbe REAL sweet if for instance you wanted to log vehicle speed using a speed sensor. Slap a sensor on the front wheel too, check the differences, and you've got wheelspindriveline slip too!

Anyway, hwere's where it's at and yes there's demo software available!

http://www.aempower.com/ems.htm#

These guys are big in the compact crowd, let's hope this unit isn't vapor. Competition is good for everyone IMO...

More info - for those of you who were considering electronicly controlled TRANSMISSIONS this puppy might be for you!

Outputs

10 Injector outputs

5 Ignition outputs

1 Fuel pump output

4 +12v User defined drivers (VTEC, EGR, etc) outputs

2 O2 Heater ground controls

2 Temperature controlled outputs (radiator fan etc.)

6 user defined (-) switched outputs (NOS, a/c, purge, etc..)

1 Check engine / shift light

1 Tachometer output

2 PWM outputs (may also be run as switched outputs) boost control, IAC motor, staged nitrous, etc)

2 Stepper motor drives (may also drive 4 wire antagonistic pair outputs)

Inputs

2 Knock channels with control

2 O2 channels with control

4 Thermo couple inputs

6 Gear position inputs

5 Speed sensor inputs

1 Spare temperature input

Throttle position

Manifold pressure / Mass air input

Barometric pressure sensor

2 Spare 0-5v input (pressure sensor, or position sensor)

Coolant sensor

Air inlet temperature

Battery voltage sensing

Clutch or neutral input (may be used for 2-step rev control)

Crank position (timed)

Cam position (timed)

Extra TDC or air flow (Vortex) input

Speed sensor input (for gear selection, traction control, etc)

Filtered sensor ground

Memory

1 Megabyte internal logging memory

Flash ROM

Fault logging

Communication

RS-232 pc com link

CAN high speed bus

High read write duty

Just downloaded the software - holy crap icon_eek.gif there's alot of stuff to program! I'm not complaining about adjustability, but some of the stuff that they have in there I'm not sure how you would really tune it.

For instance - a 17x21 (17x21 icon_confused.gif ) table for tuning injector advance? How the hell would you tune that? The only thing that would make any sense there would be to get a very good engine simulation program, and try to set it up by using simulation data. I'm not sure you could really even tune this very well on a dyno - I doubt that you'd be able to see a measurable difference. It might have some advantage at low power/RPM, where the injector pulsewidth is shorter than the valve open time, but once the injector pulsewidth becomes significantly larger than the valve open time, I can't see where this would make any difference at all.

Also, there are many, many single dimension tables for all kinds of corrections for fuel, timing, etc., where a couple of dimensions for a linear function would probably work as well or better.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of data analysis capabilities, but they didn't include a sample data file, so I couldn't evaluate this. I just didn't see any menu options for anything interesting in that respect.

It does look like it has possibilities, though - you'd just have to do alot of weeding to get to the useful stuff.

Ya. this puppy is looking WAY complicated. No sign of the "wizard" that lets you choose make and model of car either. I'm ASSuming that in a PnP application they would already have many of these tables filled out based upon their own research. Overall I'm finding the software top be pretty damned unfriendly and there was NO help file included. It looks like this sucker just hatched and that this is rev 1.0 of the software!

What's attractive is that this software can 10cylinder engines (I know some Viper guys), can control boost, can handle 2 O2s like many OEMs do, and can have a ton of inputsoutputs. However as good as that all sounds this sucker is going to be tough to use. Ever talked to someone with a Motec? Lot's of those guys don't use piles of the features simply because figuring them out is hard and it makes little to no difference in how the car performs in the real world icon_rolleyes.gif

Since we're talking new EFI systems - the Ford world has FINALLY!!!!!! got a PnP EFI system for the stock ECU. I know about the SpeedBrain but it was apparently mostly stillborn from the dealers I've talked to. Seems support was non-existant. Anyway, this new EFI system is in the brandy new MM&FF mag that just landed in subscribers mailboxes. I've read the article but NOT yet done anything more. Best of all it's cost is UNDER $400 bux! Those of you running EEC EFI might want to consider this icon_biggrin.gif Also, it's possible to put EEC sensors on a Chevy so.... Doubt it runs wideband though (sigh). Will try to track it down ASAP.

Lastly, spotted a PnP box for Subaru's too! Can you say WRX?! WOW, that would be awesome IMO. Makes the WRX just that much more attractive in my view. Roomy, AWD, turbo, programmable EFI icon_biggrin.gif

Lot's of changes inthe EFI world guys. Hondata for Hondas, Fords covered, several systems for Chevys including modifyng the stock ECU, Subaru and on and on. Awesome! Will post URLs as I find them.

P.S. Ford box is called the EEC-Tuner. Friend of mine pointed out this forum -> http://www2.turboford.org/cgi-bin/tfubb/forumdisplay. cgi?action=topics&forum=EEC+Tuner&number=3&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin= as being a good place to learn about it. It DOES work on all EECs but probably not the Vs.(OBDII) icon_biggrin.gif

Whoops, I was wrong - looks liek it CAN do EEC-V! http://www.eec-tuner.com/software_list.htm

You talking about the EPIC? It's actually capable of running standalone if wired correctly but yes, it's not like they've tried hard to advertise it. Having said that, Jimmy LaRocca apparently really likes them and a friend has one on his yet to be started blown DOHC Cobra icon_biggrin.gif I'm dying to see that thing run, it's expected to make like 700RWHP and is built solid. A shame that the EPIC seems to be locked in time and not progressing or being promoted. There IS supposed to be a forum dedicated to it though but I've never read in on it.

As for the EEC-Tuner, I was wrong about it being new. It's been aorund awhile and I even looked into it awhile back. To tune on that thing you've got to really know your stuff IMO. They have a plug-in module on the service port that will override the stock calibration info. You then modify the tables and download to the module. Software for it is less than wonderful IMO - the data is pretty raw to the user. Some URLs of interest for the EEC guys who still might be interested in it -> http://www.iwantperformance.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EECTuner

http://www.pcmx.net/pcmx/

Heh, yeah I'm researching this for my Mustang. The price is DIRT cheap but the lack of abstraction from the data is a bit of a turn off for me. I'd like things to be a little more user friendly like the FAST and GEN7 software - it's not quite like HEX math but it's pretty close even with the added on PCMX software ($149). I'll get my Mustang running with the ECU and chip in it now and then maybe consider this stuff. (shrug)

P.S. Had the AEM software seg fault on me icon_rolleyes.gif It, like th eEEC stuff, may be a little too close to the data for people to use who don't live and breathe tuning. IF I were workingi n a shop doing nothing but tuning perhaps it would be more attractive. Alas, the chances of my getting a job doing that with my current level of knowledge is close to nil not to mention I make more doing what I do now anyway. At least this stuff is progressing, years ago I could barely find ANY information on EFI systems! Long live the 'net! coollook.gif

Found some more information on the AEW box, one of their techs has been answering questios in the Supra forum icon_smile.gif 20+ pages of responses! I gave my thoughts and some dork who's in love with the APEXi jumped me icon_rolleyes.gifhttp://www.supraforums.com/supravb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10402&perpage=15&page number=1

I also found some token information on the TECIII. We'll see but it sounds like Electromotive has BIG plans for the new unit. Wow, when it rains it pours - lot's of potential options out there icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.rx7club.com/vforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30583

P.S. IF you take the time to read that 20page Supra post please not the sidebar on traction control. WAY cool! Damn I want a Supra TT but if this box or the Electromotive is PnP for the RX7 I'll probably grab one icon_smile.gif

...more like version 0.1 icon_smile.gif

On the Ford thing, the Motorsports catalog has had the Xtreme Performance EEC IV piggyback system for at least a couple of years, now, although it's almost like they've been trying not to sell it (when was the last time you heard anything about it?).

Actually, it appears to have a wealth of features, including eight analog inputs, just for datalogging.

They are marketing it as though it will only work with a 5.0 with an EEC IV, although I'm pretty sure it could be adapted to any EEC IV based engine (V8s for sure, maybe others).

I read your post. You're right - that guy was a dork icon_rolleyes.gif . Classy response, though - it's difficult to stay above the fray sometimes - nice job (and you still made him look stupid. bonk.gif )

On the TECIII, I've been hearing much the same. Here's a response that I have a little more faith in than the marketing guys at SEMA:

http://www.vishnuperformance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000664

Wow, thank you for the link! I'll try to spend some time hunting around in there - don't suppose the other systems I'm pondering hve been discussed? I'd KILL to find an objective tuner with hands-on experience with the GEN7! I'm loving it's feature set but it's software compared to FAST leaves me a little cold. The AEM system sounds REALLY awesome but speaking to a guy who attended SEMA he said it looked like it was geared more for specific PnP apps than a standalone unit icon_sad.gif We'll see, a shame about the TECIII tho' although mid January sounds like a possibility for that unit. Maybe icon_smile.gif

Re MoTec ECU. Mine is the basic M4 which drives sequential injection for a four cylinder engine. The M48 and M8 drive sequential for up to 8 cylinder engines. Sequential injection is desirable for smoother engine idling and drivability.

While a MoTec is not the cheapest system around, it is very simple to set up and tune and will drive any ignition system. This keeps the final cost down. As an indicator of how good they are, MoTec recently won a contract with Porsche against all comers, including Bosch and other big name suppliers.

I don't sell them but am a completely satisfied user

icon_smile.gif

icon_cool.gif