HybridZ

Adding a fuel sump to stock tank

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm putting a 1989 mustang 5-0 engine in my 240z and I plan on modifying the stock fuel tank with a weld-on sump. I know I could substitute a 76-78 tank that was designed for efi but there are no good examples around here used and I think this is the easiest way to go. Plus I waant a 3/8 outlet for my 302 and I don't think the 260-280 tanks ar that big. I don't need a fuel cell right now either, I just want to have a reliable fuel source for the efi. Summit sells a weld-on sump for about $50 U.S. but it looks very easy to fabricate and I plan on doing it myself. Questions: 1) I can use a properly situated male hose fitting as my pickup, I don't need to have any other kind of internal tubing added to this male hose fitting, right? 2) I plan on welding shut (after properly cleaning and hot tanking tank, of course) all the stock tank hose outlets. I will need some kind of vent to prevent vacuum building up inside the tank. Will a simple vented gas cap work? And if pressure builds up inside the tank on a hot day this doesn't need to be vented does it? Sorry for the dumb questions, I probably could have found the answers for these by searching around the internet but I have no pride and don't mind displaying my ignorance in the quest for knowledge...Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

I've done this exact thing you want to do to my 240Z tank. I had to modify the sump a little at the back, it was too long, I had to cut small slits and bend the back up to match the tank. As per the instructions you have to cut about 5 ,2" holes on the bottom of the tank, then place the sump over the holes and weld. Make sure you hot tank it first!! Question 1 , yes you can use a male fitting, but for the return line I added a small length of tube inside the tank to the back. This way you won't get turbulance at the outlet since they are side by side. Question 2 , I welded shut the old lines and all the vent lines except the one at the top facing the front of the car. I took out the vent tank, and ran a hose from the tank to the inlet on the down spout near the cap. I drilled a small hole in the cap to help vent a little, but I don't think the cap seals that good anyhow. This seems to work so far. coollook.gif

Check my site there is a pic of the tank.