HybridZ

-6 or -8 fuel feed for EFI?

BLKMGK

How much fuel can a -6 line feed in a high pressure situation? Will it flow enough to feed say 650-700HP? What about a -8? It seems that many regulators, filters, and other things come in either -6 or -10 and I know that -10 is too big for what I want. I'd like to do this without having to buy a dozen -10 to -8 adapters as it seems to me that just hurts flow. Suggestions?

TIA!

Guest super280z

im guessing you're inquiring for the supra? i remember seeing an episode of TRUCKS where they ised -10 an will feed about 750hp. used on a blown big block. from what i understand, -6an is good to about 550hp. dont quote me on that. for a FI v8 i'd go -6 to -8 and a good pump.

thought you'd like this:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/archives/features/1201_features01.jsp

Guest JAMIE T

I have used -8an for feed and -6an as return on 650hp FI supercharged application using the popular 1000hp Paxton pump and filter. Never a lean situation. Also ran 42lb injectors on that one. -8an should work fine for you application.

I've done the same Jamie - same pump too! However it seems really weird to me that so many things like filters don't seem to come in -8. I guess I'll look around some more, maybe I'm just not recalling things correctly. This IS for the Supra BTW, th eZ will be running much the same thing except th eSupra will run two in-tank pumps instead of a single one outside.

I may just run a pair of lines up front but I guess that means 2 filters too icon_sad.gif Y'ing them in the tank and then splitting them at the rail to feed both ends seems ineffecient too. No way would I risk just feeding one end of that long rail though icon_eek.gif

Are you running that hose all the way from the back to the front, or are you going to be using some hard line has well? I would prefer to use some hard line in my setup. I'm just not sure how to go from hard line to an AN fitting. Can you slide some sort of fitting that will fit up with the AN fittings, flare the line and then just easily tie them together? Where do I pick up a peice of hardline that would be long enough?

Thanks.

No hardline for me - why woudl I want it? You CAN run hardline though - they sell aluminum and I think stainless fuel line. You have to run flare stuff on it but that can be gotten from most any Jeg's catalog. Question is - do you really want high pressure fuel running through a piece of aluminum? I'm not real comfortable with that.

I'm actually considering using some of their pushlock hose - it's damned sturdy! I'm just not sure I trust the connectors - for higher pressures they must be crimped apparently and I'm not sure iof that procedure. Braided AN stuff on the other hand I'm pretty used to icon_smile.gif

I think the plan is so run two pieces of -6 back to front. I could use one -6 and the stock line to save some cash but I think that's kind of silly. Might as well do it "right"... Will be a little while before I do it though.

BLKMGK,

I love that pushlok stuff. I am using it for my tranny cooler lines and for some short connections between my fuel pump, filter and braided feed line. Once you push that fitting on, the only way to get it off is to cut the hose. If you get it, use Parker or Aeroquip. I do not know the 200R4 line pressures but I would guess, especially with the shift kit that it is astrononmical (150-200#). For my fuel, I run 42# static FP plus 24# boost.

The RX-7 we are building is being done entirely with pushlok. It will have 550hp and we expect to run 10.0.

BTW, it comes in different colors too.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I was dumb. All you have to do is solder on an AN fitting to a hard line, it's no big deal.

On my supra engine (7m-gte) I'm sticking with the stock fuel rail for the time being so I put a -6 AN fitting onto the 3/8" hard line for the feed, and will be hooking up my return line to the 240Z stock feed line, which I think is 5/16".

When I get a custom fuel rail I'll upgrade to -8 feed and probably keep the -6 for return. I'm using an Aceel inline pump that is good for up to 500hp. I would be very happy with 450hp at the crank. I've upgraded injectors to 550cc/min, I've got a good HKS intercooler, just need to upgrade my turbo. Was hoping to get some millage out of my CT-26 by upgrading the compressor to a to4 60-1

The SS braided line looks nice, but I think I'm going to use the kind that is wrapped in cloth (Earl's Super Stock) because of the price difference. It has no problem flowing fuel, and is good for up to 250psi, plus I can get it in red to match my other high lights. The hose works with the Super Stock fitting which is a press on type, or Auto Fit ones, which are the type that press on and then are compressed by screwing on the sleeve.