HybridZ

"Catch" can or "Recirculating catch can"

I used a standard Jegs aluminum can. It's not meant to recirculate however I hooked my hose where the pitcock would normally be so that as the radiator cools and gets a suction it will pull coolant not air. Dunno' that it's actually working that way but it seemed to make sense to me ;)

There seems to be a few companies selling the recirculating coolant overflow cans, but most are just decribed as "overflow cans" or "catch cans". The recirculating cans are almost always aluminum and at least $75. Is this necessary for a Howe or Griffin 24X19, or any other "pressurized system"? I assume the regular overflow can only collect coolant (NHRA rule), and won't hold the pressure/vacuum to return the coolant back to the radiator(?). Any comment before I spend $85? Thanks. smile.gif

I think any street car should have a recirculating type. For the kind of systems we have, you are limited to a 16 psi cap, and some coolant will go into the can. If it doesn't recirculate, then the radiator doesn't get topped back up when everything cools, and that's not so good.

The problem with most of the AL aftermarket ones is that they don't have a way to tell how much is in it. I have an expensive GOZA brand 1 qt unit on my Z, that has a plastic tube plumbed into the side near the top and bottom to show you how much fluid is in it - a sight glass of sorts. You could do the same thing with one of them that doesn't have that feature yourself. BTW, Jeg's has the 1pt GOZA one in their catalog, but I think they can get a 1 qt one (better for the street) as well. I just bought mine straight from GOZA.