HybridZ

77 Z 350 swap

Guest Lee Smith

Guest Lee Smith

Hi all

I have started my 77 350 swap. A carb motor.

I have a fair farm shop. I would like to make as many pieces as I can, less $$.

I would apprecate oppions the JTR & MSA

books/kits, costs of and where to get.

I have a 69 350, that according to Chilton, is

10 to 1, 295 hp. with a 4bl. -- 00$

A 77 Z I bought last week. Exelent int., not even a crack in the dash. The body high good, what

you see on a walk around. The only rust through is

rocker under dr. door. The floor pans & rails need

work, it set on/near gruond to many yrs.--$100.

Thanks, all.

Lee

PS My 3 finnished cars are on ZDriver Rides

Lee Smith, if interested and for sale.

78-$2500 82-$2750 83-$3000 Wife says sell

somthing.

I live near Fort Dodge Iowa

Lee, welcome to the HybridZ forum smile.gif

The MSA vs JTR vs Scarab vs John's Cars argument has been hashed out a bit on this forum. Suffice it to say that if you buy the JTR book, they have diagrams for you to make the parts yourself! I think it might be the best way for you to go since you have a decent shop to use. The MSA is a kit only without any diagrams, but is still a decent kit nonetheless.

Suffice it to say that you'll have a ton of information and diagrams with instructions with the JTR book. You can get to their site by clicking here:

www.jagsthatrun.com

Hoe this helps, and good luck on your conversion!!

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I was in Iowa City out on Riverside Drive for a couple of years and hunted geodes down your way a couple times. Even saw the big house from a distance. Winters to cold and summers too hot for me. I actually heard that corn growing in June! Get that JTR Manual (engine lower down and further back) that is often called the Bible around here. You will be able to do about everything in your shop for all the mounts.I found all the mount diagrams in the JTR manual were actual size so they could be copied and used as templates except the JTR diagram for the frame rails to front suspension.It is cheaper to go to a hydraulic hose and fitting supplier to get adapters for the oil pressure and water temperature sending units conversion for the Datsun gauges. The wiring is simple with a GM HEI (diagrams in Manual) You can use all the Datsun gauges even tach. JTR sells a differential flange for the Chev driveline to datsun rear. I could not find a small Camaro radiator that was not much less $ than a higher capacity Griffin aluminum unit. I am using the GM cast iron rams horn exhaust manifolds and the machining to tuck them in and cost of parts totals about $10.00 less than Summitt Auto Parts plain block hugger headers. Some of these folks on here have forgot more in one day that I have learned in a lifetime about cars. The search engine has a lot of information. I have seen one motto displayed here: "The only stupid question is a question not asked".Research,read and ask questions and give a little advice too. Also you can come across some reasonable deals here too. I changed my name and re-invented myself on this website like I was in the witness protection program

Guest Lee Smith

Thanks T ZEE

You ansered several of my questions all ready.

I set motor & tran in the car today. It looked

like the exaust needs to run next to the block,

under the starter & oil filter.

The rails under the car are gone & up fire wall

very weak. I was going to use, on hand, 1 1/4 X

2 1/2 box under the car. 3 X 3/16 flat to mounting for, what I call the stabliser bar for

frount wheels.

Today I looked at the 82 Datsen pickup frame, on hand, body shot. It looks very promising, to use

the whole frount, axels,wheels, everthing, back

under box. It would be a extreamly stronge way to

mount a V8 in a Z unabody. I plan to strip it tomarrow. It also looks like it will get the steering shaft out of the way, as it goes next to

inner fender to steering box in frount of axel.

Lee

PS Anybody know if the 82 PU 5 spd. will bolt to

a Z motor?