HybridZ

S10 V6 in 84 ZX

Guest Lee Smith

Guest Lee Smith

I have a 84 with no motor I was going to put a

V8 in, until I found the 77 I am now using.

My sonenlaw has a S10 V6 AT, baaad body, good motor.

Any reason not to do the swap?

Yes, I know, not a hot car, but it will give him

sharp looking cheap car.

Lee

Yes if its a 4.3 V6, the mounts are the same location as the V8. The JTR kit will put the front of the engine in the same place as the V8, but pulls the transmission about 4" into the engine bay. For best handling, make your own mounts or crossmember and keep the engine back against the firewall.

JS

Guest zthang43

Yeah if it's the 4.3 v6 then it's a great swap. I used the JTR manual, which was pretty much the same stuff for the 90 degree V6's, except I made longer engine mount plates to set the motor back to the firewall. If you want dimensions on that let me know. Lots of torque, even though the stock horsepower numbers are similar to the Z, and good balance too.

If it's the 2.8 though, IMHO you would be wasting your time. The nissan motors are more reliable, rev higher, and make more power for the same money. The chev 2.8 is lighter however, and since it's shorter it would be good for weight balance, so it would make a good autocrosser. My friend has a 2.8 in his S10, it runs awesome but he absolutely hates it. He named it Piddles. It's kind of funny, my Toyota with the 22R kicks his S10's butt, and I even have 33's to slow me down (compared to his little 28 inchers). Both are 4x4 too. Anyway, sorry to rant and rave and ramble; I just hate 2.8's. GM had a real brain fart on those.