HybridZ

Fiberglass top for a Vello Rossa

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Eric, it is rather amazing to spread wet gelcoat paint onto the same cured gelcoat paint in a mold with the expectation that the mold gelcoat and the copy gelcoat and fiberglass when cured will separate with only an almost invisible layer of wax and parting film between the seperate coats of paint. I always wanted to do some fiberglass work and after reading Lone's experience with fiberglass which led me to Terry Oxendale's amazing work. Nezzie 76 and I decided to try it by starting out small. I would be interested in your advice on picture taking but we are fairly camera poor around here. The fellows doing the 300 ZX V8 conversion have a $60.00 Radio Shack camera that takes fair pictures of their work. Nate's borrowed digital does not take much better than my point and shoot 35mm Olympus

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry, if or when you get the notion to one-up your own reservations about your present photo potential for the sake of all of us wanting to see more details of your project, let me know and i'll show you how to pull a rabbit or two out of your hat.

If your simple 35 mm Olympus camera has a small built in flash and can focus within 3 feet of an object, the unique Oregonian winter light in your area will take care of the rest. Being a "real" native Oregonian myself, I know of what I speak on this one.

btw, is there a photo processing store in your area that will scan your 35mm film and burn them to CD for a modest charge like most COSCO and Longs do? Highly recommended solution over scanning drug store prints or editing images from poor quality digital cameras.

Let me know. Glad to help

Guest Anonymous

Eric, I have the Olympus with the 35-70 mm telephoto equipped with a flash. So you are suggesting processing film on to CD. Yes I am very interested in improving the pictures. The quality has only one way to go and that is UP!

Guest Anonymous

Eric, I have the Olympus with the 35-70 mm telephoto equipped with a flash. So you are suggesting processing film on to CD. Yes I am very interested in improving the pictures. The quality has only one way to go and that is UP!

Larry,

Yup, main thing is to get your subjects out in the open under an overcast sky for a nice even light to fill in dark shadows so lots of detail can be seen and then hit the subject with a weak fill flash each time to give subject a few high lights that will avoid dullness while opening up dark areas that hold important detail and color.

I'll send more details in a private post to give you some tips you can try.

Did you get the new Photoshop Street Racer Z Concept design image that I sent out to several Hybridz'ers 2 days ago? Any opinions , pro or con?

Guest Anonymous

hi guys, been monitoring sitefor a while now but just now getting around to registering. i'm trick z's partner and just recovering from pinched nerve lower back. my expertise although i don't call myself expert, is in modification to early z's. you've heard from trick z on our convertible top quest. we'll be sending some pictures soon. the jim cook racing kit he referred to is a body kit installed on a 260. as far as i know, jim cook never offered a convertible top kit. i have the origin top which i've finished. it came from john washington. if you go on a weekend trip when there may or may not be rain, what do you do with it? i guess you could leave it in the motel room but that's no fun if your on the 3rd or 4th floor. Sooooo, i have built a softtop. with no body or chassis mods, it folds up and stores in the trunk. if any of youse guys are interested, let me know. we'll post our pics as soon as we can. burnout.gif

Tman could you send me some pics of the molds at your conveinience. Since you are a busy man I know this could take a while. Also a pic of a "popped" top from the mold would help as well. Thanks in advance!! burnout.gifburnout.gif

Zyal8er -

I would love to see pics of your soft top design. I had the same thoughts about what to do regarding storing the hard top when you're far from home. I'm a long way off from needing a top on my VR (getting the engine and suspension on would be nice), but I would like to see what you've done.

That is the JCR kit I am going to use. Also I see he had the idea I am toying with except for the hidden lights and the 69 charger gas cap instead of the fuel door. Now my fire is really burning. flamedevil.gifflamedevil.gifflamedevil.gif I need to get started NOW!!! twak.giftwak.gif What about those lights you have int eh last photo?? What are those lenses from?? I like!! cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I emailed the seller on eBay concerning the frontend on the red convertible. The car belonged to his late fatherinlaw and did not have a clue. I believe the front end is a modified Gnose with gnose covers (looks Ferarri).MSA wants about $200.00 A PIECE for the G nose clear covers $49.95 for a pair of 280ZX covers which are similar. I would like to get a set of 280 ZX headlight buckets and experiment with them on some fiberglass 280 Z fenders..

Guest Anonymous

some home made ones I copied to print from an eBay Auction.Looks like the Datsun tail light unit can be removed so the aluminum plate can be screwed or bolted in. Two holes bored in the aluminum for round freight truck utility lights to be mounted. I used plumbers tape and threaded studs to mount the utility lights in Nezzie 76's Vello Rossa. Eric Nyerlin has a show case of web page Z tailights that features a similar tailight treatment in the 4 inch round light on his website

Guest Anonymous

Yes , they are but we installed the lights on Nezzie 76's Vello Ross without any retaining rings or rubber seals with plumbers tape hidden on the inside . There should be a pcture of the installation in my yahoo pictures (picture # 6). If not I will post one. The lights were bought on sale at $3.00 a piece with pig tails.There is a slight lip on the tailights that we utilized for an inside press fit rather than installing the lights from the outside with a metal ring or rubber seal.

Guest Anonymous

We layed up fiberglass on the corners of the still unattached convertible top flange so it would mate better with the fiberglass Vello Rossa windshield flange. Clamped the two flanges together with the VR flange ends taped with masking tape and layed on the fiberglass. We also extended the top front lip of the Origin convertible top over the windshield gasket. Taped the windshield gasket and glass with masking tape, roughed up about two inches along the leading edge of the exterior front of the fiberglass top plus cleaning with acetone before applying the fiberglass to the edge of the top and over the gasket. We also filled in a larger area of the drip rail near the windshield gasket to be covered by the convertible top. Hopefully this lttle modification will promote better weather sealing of the leading edge along the windshield in addition to the rubber gasket between the windshield flange and convertible top flange. Next we will re-install and bond the fiberglass VR windshield flange and work on the side window flanges and install the rubber gaskets and screw in trim from the Toyota Celica

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guys, Just a note to let you know I'm still around. My computer crapped out on me and is now in the shop. If anyone has e-mailed me, that's the reason I haven't responded. They tell me I may loose my e-mail so remember what you sent, for later. I'm sending this on my Brothers computer, but I'll be back soon.