HybridZ
Guest Anonymous

Fiberglass top for a Vello Rossa

Guest Anonymous

The Factory Five new "roadster" and the new Cobra "retro" are very similar to me.To me what made the Velo Rossa popular was not only the looks but the "ease of assembly and price" plus a great donar car. No offense John, but the new mid engine project is no "piece of cake" to build and the style will only appeal to a younger segment of the population.I would have bought a Velo Rossa way back when I was buying all the Datsun kits had the fiberglass cheek panels been available for the tilt front end.

Guest Anonymous

Bought some 1 1/4 inch self tapping (phillips screw) pan head sheet metal screws at Home Depot and a 7inch wide 50 foot roll of roof sheathing. The screws are the best that I have found to drill and screw with.(or almost the best) We framed the outside of the side windows with the sheet metal roof sheathing and screwed them in place with the new screws. I will take pictures tomorrow to show how the roll sheathing forms a temporary mold for the fiberglass lay up to extend the roofline lower over the side windows..When the fiberglass cures, the next step is to install a fiberglass backing support for the Toyota Celica window moulding.....Down hill slide from there.. cosmetic sanding........ Quite anxious to see how the lowered roofline and elimination of the drip rail changes the appearance of the top......topis now a very tight fit upon the Vello Rossa body.

Guest nezzie76

Yeah that shelby's lines very closely remesmble the velo rossa's. It's kinda a modern version of the velorossa style.

There is a hump on the rear part of the door that matches the 280zx, so maybe that would be a good kit for the zx. tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

Have a few new pictures on Yahoo web page of the Vello Rossa top in the 3rd album. Two of the pictures show the metal sheathing screwed on with sheetmetal screws to the exterior of the top to lengthen and lower the roofline above the side windows. Temporary Metal straps for rigidity were also used to lengthen the top in addition to the sheathing.. Gelcoat and fiberglass are layed up on the interior side directly onto the roof sheathing. The fiberglass does not stick to the sheathing. The sheathing makes for a good "flat mold" for fiberglass. The third picture shows a good view how the completed top will fit the Vello Rossa. The lowered roof line and 2 1/8 inch extended length of the top did improve the overall looks and match the curves of the Vello Rossa......... We trashed the plans for using the Celica window molding for the side windows. Almost impossible to build a window molding flange to place Celica molding in the right angle to provide a good flush tight seal for Z side windows to seal against. We secured with screws and bonded on some fiberglass strips along the perimeter of the side window openings where a rubber seal can be glued on for a weather tight seal. We picked up separate rubber seals for weather stripping the wind shield flange and the rear bulkhead flange from an auto parts store. This Sunday, we will permanently glass in the side window strips from the inside for more stength. This will complete the fabrication portion for the fiberglass top for Nate's Vello Rossa ( except for a lot of cosmetic sanding due to all the modifications).

I appreciate the feedback on VR styling and the new mid-engine project we are doing.

The mid-engine car is being designed to be substantially EASIER than mounting a new body over an existing unibody chassis. We hope to completely eliminate bonding, sanding, and painting...and of course the cutting, reinforcing, and all the accompanying work.

"As I envision it," we would do the "hard" stuff: supply the welded chassis with suspension mounted, "roller" wheels and tires, and the body hanging. The customer would install the wiring harness, the drive train, and do final mount of the body including lights. In a nutshell, the customer would only have to "wrench" and not have to do anything involving dust, sparks, or paint.

The styling? Well, that's a work in process. Neither Steve or I are very good at translating design elements into renderings. We'll keep you posted, though.

Guest Anonymous

JohnW..Please keep us posted on the new car design and developements at VR Engineering/Reaction Research. Keep in mind as for "design", I do not like to see change and still have difficulty accepting the 280ZX (LOL) as a Datsun with Nissan being a another foreign car company.

Time to Revive this old thread...

I am curious if the fiberglass top was ever finished and if the molds are available either for purchase or for use?  I have one of John W.'s Velo Rossa's and I would like to put a new roof over the roof that was cut off to fit the kit.  Anyone have any GOOD ideas? :) 

-Newbie2theVRclub

I have two of the tops originally sold by origin design. I had to  modify one of them to correctly fit the roll up door glass on a conversion I have with a trunk lid. The other car has a TR7 top so I have never installed the fiberglass roof. I have fabricated some sail panels ( aka 67 Chevelle ) to streamline the boxy appearance which looks too much like a 32 Ford. I seldom drive either car in in-climate weather so the tops rarely go on.

Escaladess

post-605-0-36417400-1477861679_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-26028800-1477861744_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-23820100-1477861897_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-63032000-1477861964_thumb.jpg

The 70-78 z cars have an extremely stiff body structure. The transmission tunnel is about 13 inches tall and the rocker panels are strong as well. The rear firewall behind the seats ties into the wheel wells and trunk floor leaving little room for flex when the roof is removed. If you are retaining the stock drivetrain and you are not attempting to autocross the car then you are not likely to need additional bracing. You may notice the roll cage in the red convertible in the photos. It runs along the inside rocker panels from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well and is attached to the rear strut towers. There is cross bracing between the towers that also attaches to the overhead bar behind the seats. The 406 in this car is only putting out 420 HP with a  BW T5 so the cage is more aesthetic than necessary. 

Escaladess, do you have any pictures of the fiberglass tops that you purchased?

Are you open to possibly selling one?

I have a plan to make a roof for the car, but I might forgo that plan if a top is already available and if I think it would match my build.

Again, love to see photos of the roof.