HybridZ

Fiberglass top for a Vello Rossa

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

JohnW..Please keep us posted on the new car design and developements at VR Engineering/Reaction Research. Keep in mind as for "design", I do not like to see change and still have difficulty accepting the 280ZX (LOL) as a Datsun with Nissan being a another foreign car company.

• 13 years later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to Revive this old thread...

I am curious if the fiberglass top was ever finished and if the molds are available either for purchase or for use?  I have one of John W.'s Velo Rossa's and I would like to put a new roof over the roof that was cut off to fit the kit.  Anyone have any GOOD ideas? :) 

-Newbie2theVRclub

• 2 months later...

I have two of the tops originally sold by origin design. I had to  modify one of them to correctly fit the roll up door glass on a conversion I have with a trunk lid. The other car has a TR7 top so I have never installed the fiberglass roof. I have fabricated some sail panels ( aka 67 Chevelle ) to streamline the boxy appearance which looks too much like a 32 Ford. I seldom drive either car in in-climate weather so the tops rarely go on.

Escaladess

post-605-0-36417400-1477861679_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-26028800-1477861744_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-23820100-1477861897_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-63032000-1477861964_thumb.jpg

The 70-78 z cars have an extremely stiff body structure. The transmission tunnel is about 13 inches tall and the rocker panels are strong as well. The rear firewall behind the seats ties into the wheel wells and trunk floor leaving little room for flex when the roof is removed. If you are retaining the stock drivetrain and you are not attempting to autocross the car then you are not likely to need additional bracing. You may notice the roll cage in the red convertible in the photos. It runs along the inside rocker panels from the front wheel well to the rear wheel well and is attached to the rear strut towers. There is cross bracing between the towers that also attaches to the overhead bar behind the seats. The 406 in this car is only putting out 420 HP with a  BW T5 so the cage is more aesthetic than necessary. 

• 2 months later...

Escaladess, do you have any pictures of the fiberglass tops that you purchased?

Are you open to possibly selling one?

I have a plan to make a roof for the car, but I might forgo that plan if a top is already available and if I think it would match my build.

Again, love to see photos of the roof.