HybridZ

.020 head gasket?!?!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

so im in auto zone getting gaskets and i see "head saver use for reshim head " so i say get me one lets see what it is

ITS A COPPER HEAD GASKET of .020 thick

part # 075735 87995p

nissan gasket is .080

felpro is .060

this thing is .020

i would think this would be a fast easey way to bump compression and you can use it time and time agen

i dont have time to play with this right now but i do have plans on it

but if somone beats me to it please post some thing

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I have used this shim before and not only do you not use it in place of the stock headgasket due to piston to head clearance issues ,it isn't worth a shiat as a shim gasket due to its improper dimensions.

Whatever you do, do not use this shim with the fel pro headgasket as the sealing rings on the fel pro gasket are too narrow and will cause leakage.

Even with a Nissan gasket it won't last very long.

Also you cannot reuse this copper shim either as it is too thin.

later,norm

Guest Anonymous

Norm you the man :hail:

why did i know you had all ready played with this gasket

thanks Norm :hail:

i do have to ask

you dont think it would seal if the piston thing was fixed ( .030 off the piston) with a littlepper seal or Indian head ink?

go a head :twak: me

but i have to ask

i have used gaskets like this on 10.5 to 1 and higher Pontiac motors with real good luck

i see this as a cheeper move than O rings on the head

fell free to :malebitchslap:

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]
Norm you the man :hail:

why did i know you had all ready played with this gasket

thanks Norm :hail:

i do have to ask

you dont think it would seal if the piston thing was fixed ( .030 off the piston) with a littlepper seal or Indian head ink?

go a head :twak: me

but i have to ask

i have used gaskets like this on 10.5 to 1 and higher Pontiac motors with real good luck

i see this as a cheeper move than O rings on the head

fell free to :malebitchslap:

Yeah, I'd say if you sprayed it with copper gasket sealant and then shaved the pistons .020" for the needed piston to head clearance , that it probably would work.

Let us know how it turns out if you try it this way as this would be a very effective way to increase the CR on a motor with dished pistons.

later,norm

Guest Anonymous

yes dish would work well

but i was thinking flat tops with a P90

i would think .040 to .060 less head gasket would work better than .080 off the head

but now that you say some thing a Turbo might rock like that

l28 block, pop ups and a l24 crank with a P90 or flat tops and a N42

Man i got to get some time to play with this

thank you Norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]
yes dish would work well

but i was thinking flat tops with a P90

i would think .040 to .060 less head gasket would work better than .080 off the head

but now that you say some thing a Turbo might rock like that

l28 block' date=' pop ups and a l24 crank with a P90 or flat tops and a N42

Man i got to get some time to play with this

thank you Norm[/quote']

Hey, the problem with flattops is if you shave them .020" then you really will gain very litttle benefit because you end up removing the entire material over the top of the piston and then with with the clearance only being .010" tighter when using the .020" copper shim over the stock .050" stock headgasket.

You gain more benefit with this mod on dished pistons because you only would take off a very small amount off the top of the dish circumference and the dished part would remain untouched so the increase in CR would almost be the full .030" reduction from using the .020" shim.

You need at least .040"-.035" minimum piston to head clearance so when using the flattop motor you would be better off just shaving the head than using the shim mod.

And once again, its not 100% certainty that the cheap Fel Pro shim would even end up sealing, so it would suck if you shaved your flatops .020" only to realize that you had to run the stock gasket to get it all to be leakfree.

later