HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
SuperDan

HybridZ Logo Contest

It was suggested by Owen that we have a contest for a new HybridZ logo.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17944

Now that we have a (stable) photo album with a rating system it is a perfect time to do it.

So, I have created a Album called "HybridZ Logo Contest" :roll:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=3

Get your logo's uploaded so we can all vote on them and start using it for the site and T'shirts etc.

There just may be some free T'shirts and hats envolved for the winner(s) :)

Dan

Guest livewire23

I like it, but its a bit simple for my tastes. Nice though. Not trying to hurt your feelings. :?

Tim,

You've got some "pop" in your quick version and a decent direction out the chute, but I need "more juice" in the visual message. I'd try to strengthen the impact of the Z with some kind of unique treatment such as metal look perhaps and remove the soft halo effect around the Hybrid letters. Only out of focus effect I associate with hybrid Z cars is the blurred image they create when at full throttle.

First direction that I'd head would be toward giving the "Z" more heft and muscle and try stretching it out more horizontally for starters, but I am not convinced that would be the best direction in a final solution.

Nice to see new thinking about Hybrid Z motto, but not sure if reference to "old school" will thrill some that see themselves as current day Hybridz'ers. Just a guess. Others may correct me on that comment? Actually, I kind of like the phrase "When stock just don't cut it" except that it is bit long word wise to fit in a logo design.

I've been working on a Hybrid Z show event logo this past week and I can sympathize with anyone having trouble combining the Hybrid Z text into a strong graphic logo design. Finding an appropriate juxtoposition of those 2 in a balanced and powerful visual statement is really problematic, at least for me so far. In fact I have been trying to come up with a surprise logo design to donate to the Hybrid Z forum for over a year now and just can't quite visualize it yet. I get close, but can't figure out the the right balance to convey what I want to symbolize. You know, like it's gotta have the same impact and inspiration as the beginning to that famous Rolling Stones song that starts off with the strong guitar lick and the "Start Me Up" words that they often play at sports events. Anybody agree?

Good start Tim. Hope you and others keep at it for awhile. Since Super Dan broke the mold with the new site upgrade we might as well do our best to enter 2003 with a renewed "BANG" to keep our Hybrid Z fires well stoked with a strong, new logo design as well.

Chow for Now,

Quck followup to my last comment above. I just checked out Greiman's 2 designs in new LOGO gallery. I like them as well with the possible exception that colors chosen strike me as a bit muted and and low on energy. Design of Z has interesting character not typical of stereotype Nissan Z logo designs from the past, a change I welcome.

Question I have for Super Dan is about whether color of background of logo has to be of certain background colors or shades in order to fit into all "skins" available at this site? What about transparant gifs, animated gifs or Flash logos? Will they work with your bandwidth limits and PHP coding requirements?

"Ball's in someone else's court". Shoot your shot.

Eric,

Thanks for the constructive critique. I will work on it when I have more time, I did that literally in 10 minutes as I was running out of the door from my office to a meeting Downtown LA. Figured I would try get something started for someone to out-do me and get the competition rolling.

I have never pretended to be anywhere near artistic, and this is maybe the third time I've ever even used Photoshop.

Come on guys......must be something better out there?

Tim

Guest livewire23

I just thought of an idea, but my software is blown, so Im just putting the idea on paper for now.

How do we delete stuff we post to the albums? Shrunk the motor much too muchedly on that first one.

Clearly the redness of the car on either of the ones I put up there is less than ideal. But, at any rate I am the King of PhotoShop! Yay!

See, the hybrid letters are a-shakin' cuz the motor is a-rumblin' - Get it?

Yeah, them gianty blingy wheels izz a tad r1cey. I aimed for cartoony.

It is tooooo easy to procrastinate doing homework....

Guest Look A Z

Tim, I like the look of that but how would that look when the logo is on a car? Will it look a little too faded? Darn... I need to get my photoshop up and running so I can try some things out too.

Just a bit of food for thought for those interested in longer term concerns related to the Hybrid Z logo design development.

Look A Z brings up a point that leads to even more complications related to strong logo design, that of "end usage". End usage refers to all diverse applications that a logo design and it's design elements, such as background, scale, measurement ratio, color and texture harmonies and proportional balance between fonts/words and visual symbols, must address adequately if it is to be used in multiply applications in the future. Such applications could include Home page main logo, banner ad typle of displays within subsections of site or at other websites, transparent window decals, coffee mugs, T-shirts and caps, iron on cloth patches, sign boards for HybridZ show events, reproduction in magazines as promos or inclusion in printed articles about Hybridz events and featured members and cars, etc.

For instance, Tim's designs are strongly relying on embossing and drop shadow effects typically produced by bitmap editors and paint programs such as Photoshop. Although they can look trendy and very cool displayed in a web browser, these effects most often prevent use of same graphic within other color schemes such as when a user changes his Hybrid Z profile skin. However, if such bitmap effects are developed using well thought out layer strategies in Photoshop, a basic design like what Tim and othes are playing with, could be quickly output with custom colored backgrounds, using hexidecimal color numbers that Super Dan could supply for each skin so that one design might work well with many skins at hybridZ website.

Secondly, these embossing and drop shadow effects can not easily be used for stitched logos such as for hats and iron on patches. For these it is best to work with strong graphic design elements that contain no bitmap blends or gradated shading. Greiman's is a good case in point. His design creates the illusion of a drop shadow in text without using a blend.

Also, embossing and drop shadow effects with gradiant fills usually can not be used as transparent gifs within web pages without looking degraded and cheesy unless color and bend ranges fit well into 256 color limitations of gif graphic format.

Third, as Look A Z is concerned about, some designs and their background color or style may not reproduce well as stickers that HybridZ members may want to display with pride on their nicely painted or customized cars, either attached to transparent glass or on bumper chome (heaven forbid the thought!) because the design simply will not translate to that use even though it might look very cool within a website design.

yes, you are correct. A logo designed for multiple ussage needs to be simple and graphic. The intent of a logo, in its standard terms is to form an identity for a product or company. they are generaly used on buisness cards, letterhead, advertisments, etc. obviously our ussage would be a little different from that, but we would want it to work in the same way. a good way to think of it would be to come up with something that would work well in both black/white, as well as color, and all the different printing methods.

and remember, the computer screen your looking at works in a backlit addative color mix, while all printing works in spot color and cmyk subtractive color mixing.

just some more to think about.

scott

Yes, what Scott confirms and adds is all so important and true. In fact there are a lot more boring, but very important technical and psychological issues that are important to address in good logo design, but I doubt most would be interested to read about them here. For instance the CMYK vs RGB color mode output issues as relates to web display vs print.

Scott's point about a good design being effective in black and white is a good one. If design is strong in black and white, it usually can be colored, embossed, drop shadowed and filtered endlessly into dramatically powerful interpretations for use as a web graphic. Key is to first develop the basic design elements that projects a powerful symbol to the majority of HybridZ members here and then build variations on that theme using a wide range of vector and rastor graphic enhancement effects to evolve the basic design for as many end useage applications in the future as possible. First thing we need to find are the essential graphic elements and style that express the "SOUL & SPIRIT" of the Hybrid Z community that has developed here. This is why I tried to start a thread in the Poll section entitled "Hybrid Z" Means What To You ? at http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18260 but virttually no one responded. Why I do not know? Dan Juday, you listening?

Key guideline most talented logo designers follow is "keep it simple" Stay away from busy looking designs with too many non essential references and wordy text. Break down strongest graphic symbols of Hybrid Z ideals and spirit into simplest graphic elements and evolve from there.

Who's next?

Guest livewire23

*I hear a loud "whoosh" as all the above information flies over my head and past my point of conceptual understanding.* :D

on a serious note though, I like tim240z's try #2. The rivets are a nice touch. This whole contest makes me wish I had taken a couple of those graphic design classes that I never had time to do. then I would better understand the concepts of color.

Guest livewire23

krazeeZX, lookin nice. Maybe another pass with rivets, just for comparisions sake. Very clean though. I'm interested to see how these would hold up on transparent glass, given the varied backgrounds. Umm, there is this kinda cool sticker on my Z's back window, which casts a real nice shadow when the sun shines over it. I think the people here in CA at least would appreciate a sticker that casts a "HybridZ" shadow all over their trunk. How cool would that be?

Guest Look A Z

Okay now I like Krazeezx or Tim's logo. Can't decide which one!