HybridZ

'76 l28 performance

Guest raystorm280z

Guest raystorm280z

I was looking through all of the posts in this section trying to find out how to get the most power from my '76 engine (dished pistons and first style block :roll: ).

I read that flat tops from a F54 block and the N47 head bring the compression ratio to ~10:1, but then I also read this post ...

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13783

Better yet, get a set of '73-on L24 rods (9mm bolts), have your L28 dished pistons machined to take the rim down to the same plane as the dish (make them flat-tops), and put it together. That way you not only bump compression ratio up to about 10:1, you also improve the rod/stroke from 1.65 to 1.69.

-DAW"

Has anyone done this before?

Would machining down the pistons still conserve their structural integrity?

Could this done for ~$500 like the above linked post said?

Does anyone have any hp/torque numbers on this combination or on their Flattop F54/N47?

In comparison with other powerplant options (l28det, l31, F54/N47, etc...), how economic do you think doing this would be? (I like the ideal of keeping the original engine, but then theres always that turbo...)

I think this would be a good base engine to modify around. I'm not looking for insane power anymore (no more stroker for me, haha), mid 14's would be great if possible with my engine (without breaking the bank :) )

Any comments/suggestions/opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Raf

You should be able to get an F54 for way under $500 and throw your current top end on there. Rod/stroke ratio is nice, but you are not going to be revving to the moon, you aren't going to try to pull 500,000 miles out of it I imagine (even so I'm sure it would do it if you treat it right and keep the valve stem seals etc "maintained"). I just dont see it as enough of a difference really, and ultimately without high RPM the side loading forces are not that much different, but for that little extra you could do it if you wanted, I tend to look at things as performance to price ratio, and $500 for another couple pounds of torque here or there compared to the old setup, and then shaving pistons down (machine work and labor $), just doesn't seem worth it unless you are going "all out."

Shoot, for $500 you could buy a whole donor car with another engine of choice and swap that, or even less.

Guest raystorm280z

thanks for the advice. preformance:cost ratio is definitely a factor. I tend to get excited when thinking about possible engines for my car :-D . If anything im proabably just going to go with either the F54/N47 or (if i can get my hands on one) the l28det :burnout: .