HybridZ

sr20det?

majik16106

has anyone swapped in the sr20 yet? just curious why I dont see more of this being done? seems like it would be a nice swap.

Im selling my 1jz supra, need to buy a daily driver, probably gonna get a 240z to be my weekend toy, and i was thinking this swap could be lots of fun.

I really think im going too, Ill let you know, if i buy a 240z in the next few months, thats what would be going into it. Have to see what happens with my supra first, I may fix it up and put some stuff on it, body kit, paint etc then start the sr s30 project.

Guest Zachb55

hey, i was looking at these engines a little while back and there are some beastly S14s and S15s and those things arent all that light, i bet if you threw one of those engines into an S30 you would have a hell of a combo, i was thinking about going for this swap, you would probably get to a swap before me because that is going to be one of the last things i do to my car. i just need to get it running with the engine i have :roll: and then i can worry about things like a better engine...

I don't know...SR20's are great engines, but considering that the engine bay is big enough to throw in something with a bigger displacement, why not?

Plus, you should take into account powerbands. An SR20DET running mean boost will be much peakier than something bigger pumping out similar power.

For a while, I considered throwing an SR20DET into a Datsun 510, but then I saw some dynos and was convinced otherwise.

[shrug] It's your car. Go for it.

no no, i disagree about the powerband, thats exactly why Id do the sr, why are s13's so popular for road racing/auto-x/drifting. Execellent handling, small agile car, badass powerband. With this project I wouldnt be aiming for 600rwhp, id be doing a small turbo upgrade (Ie T28) and that makes one hell of a smooth quick band. almost no Lag, good power. If i wanted something with huge power Id just do the Gn motor (another project ive considered, eventually id like to own both). IF you have never been around a BPU sr, your missing out, they feel great.

SR20's are great engines, but considering that the engine bay is big enough to throw in something with a bigger displacement, why not?

This is a classic case where size IS NOT everything. How many "bigger displacement" street-driven Zs on this forum can match the performance of that SR20-powered 3rd-gen RX-7 (11.1 @ 126)? You only need one hand to count and you will have a couple of fingers left over. And, that RX-7 is heavier than an early 240Z would be with the SR20.

Granted such a setup requires a different driving technique than a V-8, but lag is what you make it and unfortunately, too many unknowingly pick the wrong combo and end up with lag and compaints about turbo setups. A well setup SR20 in a lightweight 240Z will perform well and surprise you of the driveability and torque. Any well setup turbo engine will have the torque to melt tires and break things. Sigh! OK, I have to go now. I need to pull my broken diff :D

SR20's are great engines, but considering that the engine bay is big enough to throw in something with a bigger displacement, why not?

This is a classic case where size IS NOT everything. How many "bigger displacement" street-driven Zs on this forum can match the performance of that SR20-powered 3rd-gen RX-7 (11.1 @ 126)? You only need one hand to count and you will have a couple of fingers left over. And, that RX-7 is heavier than an early 240Z would be with the SR20.

Granted such a setup requires a different driving technique than a V-8, but lag is what you make it and unfortunately, too many unknowingly pick the wrong combo and end up with lag and compaints about turbo setups. A well setup SR20 in a lightweight 240Z will perform well and surprise you of the driveability and torque. Any well setup turbo engine will have the torque to melt tires and break things. Sigh! OK, I have to go now. I need to pull my broken diff :D

But, you have to admit, this "driving style" has to be taken into account, depending on application. I'm currently driving a Honda CRX Si for street and autocross, and the engine gets virtually no power until 4500ish RPM. While this may satisfy some, it left me with something to be desired. I guess it's a case by case basis though...all I know is that I'll be looking for something with a little more grunt down low for my next ride.

Ya, ive been modding cars for awhile, new to the old school z however. That was something else i was going to ask, doesnt anyone ever put in a mustang rear end?, I would think a 8.8 with some coil overs, a nice gear, would actually be pretty street friendly...

An advantage to a higher RPM powerband is that you don't blast the tires on launch. That's relative though so if ou make enough power you may still have some problems. You also have to be careful about how violent the power comes on. Having a big turbo spool up at 4K and going from 200RWHP to over 400RWHP in a span of say 800RPM can be a challenge to put down. Scottie mentioned lag, I've been happy to find that while my setup has some lag it can be taken care of with a quick downshift. Yellow lights might catch you lagged but a downshift makes for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride pretty quickly.

Honestly, I've come to enjoy a higher RPM powerband. That's one thing the stock L6 had in my car before the 383 swap. I sort of missed that and if I were doing it all over again I might go a slightly different route. I think the SR20 turbo motor would be an excellent choice. It's not the one I would do as I've got another candidate I'd prefer but I don't think it's a bad idea. I think that motor would be pretty awesome in an RX7 :D

I'm currently driving a Honda CRX Si for street and autocross, and the engine gets virtually no power until 4500ish RPM. While this may satisfy some, it left me with something to be desired.

Therein lies the problem. BAD comparison. By my calculations, I am willing to bet a 300hp SR20DET (mild mods) has more than twice the torque of that Honda N/A!

I'm currently driving a Honda CRX Si for street and autocross, and the engine gets virtually no power until 4500ish RPM. While this may satisfy some, it left me with something to be desired.

Therein lies the problem. BAD comparison. By my calculations, I am willing to bet a 300hp SR20DET (mild mods) has more than twice the torque of that Honda N/A!

Hehe good call...

well if your at all like me, if i had the money, id put the 2jz in with a 6spd, the most fun I have ever had in a car was a t78 6spd car, amazingly fun to drive.

Heh, my daily driver since you mentioned it :D An automatic would be quicker on the track though. A friend has an auto with a 4K stall, 10.5s at over 130mph on a mild tune with no lockup. That car could be daily driven if he chose :shock: Unfortunatly a 6spd won't fit will in the 240Z, it's too long and the shifter won't work out. A 5spd would fit fine or better yet a TH400 with an OD unit. I cannot imagine how fast that would be with the right turbo in a lightweight Z. That would be a dream for me but the rear IRS would have to be seriously beefed, even Scottie's 'Vette setup has broken now. Ouch!

that cant be true, Ive seen a 1jz swap in japan, using the r154, which is longer than the w58(the NA 5spd) but a little shorted than the v160 6spd, Im willing to bet the 6spd could be made to work, we would just fab up a shifter, no problem, just would need to be a wierd S shape type deal probably. im pretty sure its shorter than the ls1-t56 combo...

Well, -> http://www.blkmgk.com/Development/TestWEB.nsf/PhotoGallery Top of the page - read the article on the 1JZ swap. I'm pretty sure that's where I got the info on the 6spd. My understanding is that the 5spd is shorter than the 6spd. I may be able to measure mine if anyone really cares. If it wasn't in that article it was either on the 1JZ forum on I-supra.com or Supraforums.com I just cannot recall which.

Doing this I'd use a JDM 2JZ, a single turbo, some fabbed motor mounts, and whichever trans would fit along with an AEM ECU. I think a smallish turbo would be best as the one I've got would blow the tires off too easily as power came on. My first three gears are useless if I'm not careful :( I hit the track on the 30th - we'll see how it does on DRs.

Anyway, the SR20DET would likely have a powerband that woudl be FUN in a 240Z :D

Aren't all the 2JZ motors tied to six speed gearboxes? I was under the impression that all 4th gen supras were either 6 speed or automatic.

School me...

The TT stick shift cars are, the N/A are all 5spd or Auto. The 5spd works fine with the turbo motor although it's supposedly a bit weaker. It WILL bolt up and turbo IS300SC300 and Supra N/A are able to hold decent power with the 5spd. I think one of the older 5speeds may also bolt up.

The 6speed has awesome ratios though, 5th is 1:1, 6th is OD. Way better than the T-56 IMO.