HybridZ

Megasquirt/Megaspark

Bernardd

Heads up for the megasquirt guys. There is now a complete standalone, diy efi/ignition controller. The turbo cas is setup perfectly for use with the Megaspark. I have to verify the voltage output to the transistor is the same from the megaspark to the transistor as what the stock ecu sends to the transistor. Maybe someone knows. I've got a megasquirt built and ready to go, I was waiting for an ignition setup. All the stock temp sensors can now be used, with only an IAT needed. I have a Maxima tps (bolts on) and that's it. Programmable (realtime) efi for 200 bucks or so.......WOOOOHOOOO

Anyone want my z31 setup c/w eprom burner and all the info??

Bernard

I too have a Megasquirt. I'm waiting for the track car I'm working on to get painted before I put the motor and FI in.

I haven't heard about Megaspark. I know there has been talk on the list about MegaJolt.

Do you have any more information?

Pete

Heads up for the megasquirt guys. There is now a complete standalone' date=' diy efi/ignition controller. The turbo cas is setup perfectly for use with the Megaspark. I have to verify the voltage output to the transistor is the same from the megaspark to the transistor as what the stock ecu sends to the transistor. Maybe someone knows. I've got a megasquirt built and ready to go, I was waiting for an ignition setup. All the stock temp sensors can now be used, with only an IAT needed. I have a Maxima tps (bolts on) and that's it. Programmable (realtime) efi for 200 bucks or so.......WOOOOHOOOO

Anyone want my z31 setup c/w eprom burner and all the info??

Bernard[/quote']

I'm interested Bernard. I blew up my burner (left it on, and the fan burned out - so did the unit). I'm at the point where I may want to start messing with the Z31 code - my intake is working out, and I am ready to start tuning it for more boost - 12 psi seems ok, but I shall be closely watching fuel pressure and EGT as I increase the boost. I may have to defeat or raise the fuel cut, especially when I drop on my P90 with the turbo cam.

Oh, and by the way, you shouldn't have to worry about voltage to drive the transistor to the coil driver. Transistors are current-fed devices - as long as you have enough current, and not too much (resistor limited), all you need is about 1 volt to drive that sucker.

Link to megaspark

http://www.aracnet.com/~hafner/MegaSpark.html

Nathan: Is your maf reading 5 volts at 12psi? You may have to change to a mufstank maf. And I'll want 100 bux for burner + shipping. Let me know if you want to try some code. I can burn a couple of chips and send them out.

Bernard

I'll measure it next time I get the car on the road - probably this weekend. I expect it won't be, since I've reduced the air through it by installing it in a bigger housing. I ran 14psi with the stock injectors and stock housing - I may have been maxxing it out then. I'd love to try some code out too - I have an '86 turbo ECU, just like you were using, so pm me and we can work something out.

• 2 weeks later...
The MegaSquirtAVR version 1, announced early March, has now lived in the car

for around 3 weeks. Just took the car for a very special drive and it has

never run that good before, allmost too good to be true! Btw., it's a 4 cyl

'74 MGB http://caffrey.dk/megasquirt/images/megasquirtavr_inside.jpg .

So, what was special about that drive?

It was the first test drive with the MegaSquirtAVR's newest (still beta

though) feature: auto tuning of VE table!

10 minutes of closed loop driving with a NBO2 and the VE table is setup

automatically. Datalogging, gigantic spreadsheets, endless analysis of data

and hours of adjusting and testing are only necessary if you really want to,

the MS takes care of everything. Can it be easier than that?

Well, it might be a good idea to adjust the high power VE entries yourself,

then the MS can be told not to touch entries above P power.

No need for fiddling with the laptop at 130 km/h anymore, instead the MS & car

can be enjoyed safely!

Other interesting news:

- The stepper IAC is now controlled by a PID controller.

- The newest firmware will be available from cvs at

megasquirtavr.sourceforge.net, contact Marcell or me if you want to join the

fun (development).

Wow! Automagic VE :)

Out of curiosity I am going to get a quote from our board house on the AVR pcb. If it is not too much I may get a minimum run which will be one sheet, I don't know maybe 5-10 boards. Be fun to play around with anyway. Of course this one is tested nearly as well as regular Megasquirt, but I like messing with electronic stuff. I see he sells them for $12, but he is in Hungaria and you have to send dollars in an envelope, kinda sounds like supporting Osama. :D I wonder if he builds detonation devices :?:

Yeah, I'm not totally sure I'm sold on going for the AVR, although the automatic VE is pretty cool! The firmware is written in C instead of ASM, small nitpick really, I dont expect to see 16,000 RPM on a V8 anyway. I have to look into it more, plus look at the parts list and see if its easy to get that stuff in the states.

Plus the normal Megasquirt box is already half way assembled for you, soldering the chip would make me nervous, thats pretty fine work and sensative to heat...

Yeah, that soldering doesn't bother me, I have soldered fine pitch parts before. We have really good equipment were I work so no problems. I wish the MS guys offered their gerbers, but I guess they want to make a little money too. Also shouldn't be a problem to substitute equivalent parts on the AVR board if some are hard to get. I'll see what it quotes at and decide if buying MS is better or not.

I may be able to get a board(s) assembled for a fellow Zheads for a few bucks. Auto tuning is also available for the reg MS board although I don't think it's as advanced. I think it only tells how far and which way to change values, it doesn't do it for you while driving.

Mudge: there's a link somewhere on the MS page to an order form. I think everything or most parts come from digikey.

Bernard

I'm a little confused here. Is the megaspark unit complimentary to the megasquirt, or is it a complete unit. I have my order placed for the megasquirt parts, should I reevaluate before they are shipped (some parts on backorder from Digikey)?

Tim

There are two megasparks that I remember (one or two future planned). Both of them do not have their own ignition circuit, they work with Megasquirt (I dont know if they can operate alone?), and drive an MSD6 unit by default, but they say they should work with other boxes that accept ____ input (whatever it says...).

The Megasquirt I know how to get, as well as the Digikey stuff, its the AVR that is an offshoot of the project that some other folks put together. While the regular Megasquirt has a baseline VE table calculator (I forget who wrote it), the AVR will do it automatically, its almost unneccessary I suppose, so I will have to investigate further before deciding which to go with. If the regular Megasquirt will show BLMs then I could live without it, if it only shows me O2 data then its tough with a narrow band.

MegaSpark was developed and tested with a MSD 6AL. I would think other MSD models would work, as-well as other after market ignition boxes (Accel, Crane, etc.) that are designed to work with points but do not rely on the point input dwell. I have no knowledge of OEM (or other) ignition boxes, I can not give you any specifics on connecting particular ignition boxes. But the following info may help. Beware of boxes that also control the ignition advance!

http://www.aracnet.com/~hafner/SparkManual.html

* Run on MegaSquirt v2.2 Hardware w/ no modifications (no EFI support)

Megajolt aka "LITE"

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis.html

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/MS%20FAQ.htm

Scroll to the bottom and you will see "Megasquirt related hardware."

• 1 month later...

Hey fellow aftermarket ECU folks......

Has anyone used the stock 81zxt crank trigger signal to drive an aftermarket system????

Does anyone know the output specs of the stock trigger wheel?? # of pulses ect....

I would like to use it to drive a megasquirt/megajolt system....

Thanks in advance,

Ian