HybridZ

pricing for stand alone engine management

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

To all who have stand-alone engine management systems, how much were they? Also, how was the installation (pertaining to an L28ET swap) and how are the features (easy to operate)? Thanks for the input!

Steve

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I have had a few systems on my car and have sold and installed a few different systems on other applications. Right off the bat i like the Microtech Systems for Z cars. They are easy to install and are very flexable. Best off you can configure the systems to fire off of the factory crank sensore (Distributor) with no Hal sensore mounting needed. Those systems start at $1.150.00 with Lap top software. I think the best advice given would be to buy from someone you can trust that will back up the product. Good Luck.

When I fist put my V12 together in '99 I had investigated a few systems. I chose the accel dfi at the time for it’s ease of use, reasonably low price and the fact that parts and answers are fairly local. It made tuning the 12 easy. At the time I knew little about injection. The newer, Gen 7 system looks fairly simple. You could download the software and check it out. I’m sure other systems work as well or better but this is the one that worked out for me. I picked up a used one for $700 USD.

Cheers …:::Glenn

http://www.mrgasket.com/dfimain.html

what do i get in between megasquirt and moon. I mean, what are the features that make up the price jump?

Well alot of things. For one the speed of the processor the ECU uses. Motec's are the fastest I believe. Plus the amount of stuff the thing can control, like Vtec, NOS, transmissions, etc. Also whether or not it is sequential or batch fire. Batch fire is always less expensive, but it is less precise as well.

It really just all depends on what you want to do.

Working directly in assembler produces the most efficient and fastest-executing code possible. The result is that MegaSquirt can provide real-time fuel calculations up to 16,000 RPM!

I'm sold on the system myself, for the price its worth the "gamble" IMO. Seeing how I dont have the salary to support a $30,000 240Z project, I want to keep costs down - and frankly I'd go to a V8 if I was limited to only $1000+ ECU setups for the turbo car. YMMV

Guest livewire23

where can I find more info about megasquirt? At that price I figure as long as it allows me to play with fuel delivery, its a good deal. I don't need Vtec and multistage Nos injection. I just want to put the fuel in the cylinders. Efficiently.

Guest Want aZ

Do a search in Google, there is tons of info out there, there is also a Yahoo users group for Megasquirt, there is support software avail as well.

Guest livewire23

i found there webpage, and so far it looks good to me. When they say build it yourself, exactly how much building are they talking about? And just out of curiosity, what's the next option up, pricewise? MegaSquirt does sound good though, and that price is unbeatable.

Check the FAQ, I've posted some links in one of the forums, if you buy the board from them some of it is already assembled. If you look at the board its very simple soldering, the AVR however made me nervous because the CPU is not socketed and has very fine pins, like a video card GPU practically, tiny and physically fragile and probably sensative to heat. Socketed rules.

Guest jt240z

I'm replying to this thread because I've been there and done that!

First off, Microtec is not Haltech. They are two separate companies that both happen to be out of Australia. Haltech is the brand that I,m using and has been quite dependable. My system is currently a L28ET engine with an optically triggered waste spark ignition (multi coil direct fire). I'm driving 6 550cc RC Engineering low impedance injectors in multipoint (All injectors fire at once) mode. I have an intercooled T3/T4 hybrid and run about 14psi of boost. I've limited my boost based on engine break in for now. I will eventually get it up to about 18 to 20psi with the stock rebuilt bottom end. Can never have enough boost. :twisted:

I have the Haltech E6K that does use the stock distributor optical trigger (no hall effects) to fire the engine using the 1st gen 300ZX trigger wheel. The cost has recently dropped in the USA because of the closing of the USA support office. The closing was due to some very bad support coming from them and high expenses. Now all support is done directly through your dealer first and then direct from Australia. The lowest price for the base E6K is around $895.00 out of Miami FL. You then have to add about $60 to $80 for the MAP sensor and another $50 for the complete connector kit. That gets you all you need to get your engine running. It does support additional I/O like closed loop O2, electric fan control, boost control, idle air control, aux tach drive and more. The ECU is a full fuel and ignition control computer with many different maps for fuel and ignition control. You do need a laptop to configure it and the program runs in DOS, so some newer laptops wont work correctly.

The Megasquirt is a fuel only computer and does not control ignition. It is not supported by any company and is considered experimental. Purchases are done through group buys and are conducted at irregular intervals. If you need it now, you must buy from someone that is selling theirs. It's a DIY kit meaning that you must do all the assembly work on the ECU yourself. You get bags of parts, a PCB and a case. You mount the parts... You solder the parts... You drill and cut the case... You test the box. That is above and beyond the normal assembly requirements of a programmable ECU. The price is great, but you need better electronics assembly skills and you have to program the ECU with minimal outside help as most shops don't support the product.

These are the only two that I can comment on based on direct use and experience. Others have used the Simple Digital Systems (SDS), Motec and Electremotive systems successfully.

Keep in mind that with programmable EFI the most critical component is not the ECU but the person doing the programming. It will allow you to do most anything you want with your engine, but does require you to be of a higher skill level then just drop in engine packages. There is no substitute for a good dyno programmer when it comes to programmable EFI. IMHO

Good luck

ALL Giood points by JT240Z. I have waided into the programable injection waters inly so far as to buy two systems and evaluate the software, one for my V8Z project, and one for the Mustang. Educate yourself first before making a decision on buying a system. What do you want to do with the system? Is a simple ECU enough? Do you only NEED fuel managements, or want to control spark as well? Do you know the difference in Wide band and Narrow band? Open and close loop? There is a ton of info you need to know before you make a decision. Furthermore, Do you have support locally? One KEY feature I like in both the Holley system I've bought for my Z and the Tweecer I bought for the Mustang is that I can hook a laptop in, hook the laptop up to my network and modem and allow a tech to SEE what I'm doing to the car, or better yet LET HIM TUNE IT REMOTELY for me! If you don't have support locally THIS is a GOOOOOD option if you have enough cash to support it.

That said, Education about programing FI systems is key. It is no different than being able to work on your own PC at home.

I'm surprised PeteP hasn't chimed in since he recently bought the Megasquirt and I think he plans to get the MegaJolt as well.

Mike :D

Al Grippo said on the yahoo MS forum that MS kits would be in stock all the time, at least that was the plan. So it sounded like to could buy the kit at any time without having to wait on group buys. I don't know for sure, just passing this on. He just posted this a couple days ago.