HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

We all are aware of the slow nature of the first gen wiper motors. Yeah, you can lubricate the linkage arms, make sure the wiring is in good shape, maybe even put in a higher amp alternator, and all those things will help, but it is still slow. My question is if it is possible to improve the performance of the motor itself without increasing the amperage supplied to it? I am totally ignorant of all things electrical on a car, so this may be a stupid question. Surely somebody out there has experimented a little bit with this?

thanks,

-Adam

Though I can't right now answer your question, I can tell you that after I pulled the motor assembly out of the car to clean and lubricate it, to no effect, I have decided to take it down to a local motor repair shop to see if they can either a) make it run faster by rewiring it or something, amperage be damned, or B) supply a replacement that'll run faster. I'm frankly willing to give up the "park" function if necessary - the thing is so slow as to be dangerous in even a moderate rain. If nobody else provides a good answer for you, I may be able to in a couple of weeks...

My one works in only one speed. Slow. Seeing as how I need to register the car and our laws state we need two speeds I am taking my car to an electrician today. I'll let you know what the outcome is. I would prefer to swap the motor for a faster one.

Sounds interesting. Let us know how things turn out. I wonder if it would be possible to somehow "graft" a 280 ZX motor (just the actually motor part of it) to the series one housing? hmmmmm

Guest Zachb55

heck before i took my car apart mine didnt even work, i didnt even think of their slowness...for some people this may not be a problem, but a good 80% of the time down here is spent in the rain, and a substantial portion of that is to the point where high wiper settings are needed on all of my parents' cars :shock: maybe the lack of workage will give me a good reason to replace the engine for a faster one... oh yeah, alsol, i was wondering....i noticed there were wiper fluid dispensers on my car, do all of them have this? only looked somewhat stock of an install and i couldnt hardly tell that was their purpose until i saw the little tubes were connected to the fluid container... i just cant envision those things doing a very great job either :? oh well, guess ill have to deal with it when i get there, i will be interested in what you guys come across as options for this.

-Zach

Wipers?? Who needs wipers anyway? When I was stripping my engine compartment for the V8 I got to looking at those big, ugly, slow, distracting wipers and realized I'm never going to drive my Z in the rain anyway - too much of a liability. Off they go! :D

Wipers?? Who needs wipers anyway?

The government that's who. Try passing your car for registration over my way without working wipers :?

btw, my car is stil at the electricians, they've redone some of my wiring as it was getting stripped at one point. they will start work on the wipers Monday morning so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

cheers

Guest zfan

Wipers what wipers, they absolutely suck big time! My 71 Z wipers are a joke, they work all right if 30 seconds per swipe is considered working.

Gave up and used rain ex!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

i actually use rain-x windshield wiper fluid. i never though i would be one to go on about something as stupid as wiper fluid but this stuff is awesome. every time you use fluid it's like applying rain-x. after about the third time i used it the rain was beading up and rolling off. the other nice thing about this stuff is that it also has a de-icer in it. you know when you are in a hurry and you think i'll just use my wipers to take the frost off while i'm driving... well now it's possible. :-D

I picked my car up today and after 5 days & AU$180 later the wipers work but only in one speed. I have no idea what I paid them for. :evil: I told the electrician that if the car doesn't pass registration I'll be going back to them so that they can do the job right. I don't really care if the wipers work or not, just want to pass registration.

So, rain ex was it. :roll:

Would the motor of a 280 be interchangable?

Yeah, that would be cool! Any ideas on dimensions, etc for that two arm system?

If I had to cut and what not, I'd just get the one from pacificwestern and mount

just one for the driver (there is a 2-wiper system by them too). I just wish I knew

what the speeds are.

Owen

Yeah' date=' that would be cool! Any ideas on dimensions, etc for that two arm system?

Owen[/quote']

It looks like you bolt the two wiper arm thingys, and the motor can be bolted anywhere.

The one I posted has an optional cam gear which synchros the two arms I think. So it all comes down to price and ease on installation! Who's gonna be first??? I don't have my car right now.

Owen