HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

page three the picture shows you how you get your different speed, power both the high and low at the same time and you get medium. I didn't not have time to wire it to the Z switch, currently i have it two auxilary switches on a switch board i have in my z. And like i mentioned before i dont' have the honda book to tell you how the intermitten works.

-Ed

I messed around with my Honda motor today and wanted to share what I learned.

One of these pics shows that there are major differences in the 70-73 z motor compared to the 74-? motor. Either one can be mounted though onto the z motor plate, since the holes have to be redrilled anyways...

I haven't installed it into my 260 yet, (I was waiting for someone else to figure out the wiring first.. :D )

The only mod I had to do to install this motor onto the z mounting plate was, center the drive, mark holes for redrill, redrill, then notch mounting plate for new motor to clear...

LINKS TO PICS BELOW ARE BROKEN, I WILL TRY TO RELOAD

LinkPhoto?GUID=77343bf4-24d8-134c-1d7e-48fb448741a2&size=

** below pic show difference in old shaft and new motor shaft **

LinkPhoto?GUID=33be43e1-75e0-2081-2bec-3822611173ea&size=

LinkPhoto?GUID=6d1c77d4-4479-6e4f-310f-16f22fc53835&size=

** below shows difference in 70-73 motor and 74-? motor **

LinkPhoto?GUID=2b6b310a-22d5-237c-56d4-31672f74d9a6&size=

LinkPhoto?GUID=13ac7f85-8f9b-106a-174f-78cb723737eb&size=

** pic shows notch I had to cut in 74 mounting plate **

LinkPhoto?GUID=d0c127f8-2284-31a9-2bb8-28fb3627260b&size=

** finished product **

LinkPhoto?GUID=1a2bf987-57fb-1c40-c6d2-6735165fe4d1&size=[/b]

Well I will find out what it is that makes the original wiper motor get the different speed eventually. With the number of pins I saw on the connector, it probably uses several wires like the Hondu on. The wiring diagram will tell you how, ust need to figure which pins have power (I assume) on which setting.

How do you seal the connections? I saw the grommet, and I assume that goes through a bulkhead, but I didn't notice a cover for the connector area,

thx

sorry i couldn't help you with the Z motor wiring, mine was burnt and melted to an unrecognizable shape

:roll:

This summer i should time to figure out the intermitten for the honda. I'm assuming it requires another sort of relay that plugs into the extra slots.

-Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can anyone out there in Z land with wiring talent help me out with this???

I'd like to install this new wiper motor without having to jerryrig just a on/off switch.

I know someone here finds this kind of challange a no brainer, but it isn't me.... hum.gif

Please, what I'm looking for is how to hook up the new motor to the z wiper motor plug off the old z motor (spliced)

Here's my plan for the wiper wiring

#1 Find out which pins on the plug go to ground, 12V, the slow, & fast 'power.'

#2 Find out if the intermittent pin puts out 12V or a pulse, or what? If it's a pulse ( my thinking), you'll probably need 12V on the slow pin to keep the motor going one cycle.

#3 If you need to, you can use some big diodes on the intermittent hookup to 'fool' the motor to think it's in slow speed. I've got no ligic on this- have to figure it out later, after I get the car back.

L28/Mustang power steering getting finished Tuesday!

:D

• 1 month later...
Guest 2slo4u

I have an 81 so my wipers have plenty of speed but for you guys with the older z's, try taking the armature (or the whole motor) to a place that rebuilds and modifies electric motors. JOEL, there is a place here in Lake Charles kinda off of broad street (parallel and south of it) somewhere behind chad's pawn or bank one. The name of the company is J&J Armature works. Maybe they can wind the armature with less wire to get it to operate at a higher rpm? :idea: I think they are on 1st street. Good luck!

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe they can wind the armature with less wire to get it to operate at a higher rpm?

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

Brian, since you understand automotive wiring very well, (I know you work in that field) do you think you can figure out this delima with which way to wire up the speeds & intermittin feature?? I'd like to solve this issue while my car is down for the RB26 swap out... :shock:

Please advise;

joel

• 2 months later...

....which way to wire up the speeds & intermittin feature??

If it helps you any, I do know that the controller for the intermittent wipers is a LOT like that for the turn signals; it uses the little metal strip that gets hot & breaks the circuit, the makes it again when it cools.

FWIW

• 1 month later...

lol you crack me up, you can swap an RB motor but you can't read a wiring diagram? :roll:

I don't have access to the honda anymore, but like i mentioned before, there is a relay you can buy for the motor, that will give you your intermitten until then, just wire the other two speeds to you combo switch. When I get my car running and painted I will adress this issue again in more detail.

-Ed