HybridZ
74Adam

Improving the wiper motor

I live in Houston, TX and when it rains here.. it usually pours. I was thinking about taking the whole assebly from a 300ZX like a 96 or something. What's to stop us fromt doing that? I don't have a 300zx to look at the assebly but seeing as it IS a Z car.. shouldn't be too different.

Guest the_dj

Does the same thing apply to the 78's? My 280Z takes about 1 second for a full up down cycle...pretty fast. :)

ok... I want to bring this topic up again as i never got an answer. My car caught fire over the summer and torched the OEM motor.. now it is a necesity i find a new one... i don't want an OEM from 78 that costs a fortuen and barely sheeds water... would a honda assembly work? any ideas are welcome!!! need quick ideas 2!!!

-Ed

but is the vette motor any faster? that's the whole idea here...

I don't see how it could be any SLOWER! I've owned four Z's, and none of them have been very good. The current one runs at 35 wipes/minute unloaded, and that slows down to about 28/minute when it's actually doing work. I've cleaned and lubed the gearbox, the pivots, and the linkages so I know it's not binding there. Maybe I need to run heavier gauge wire straight from the battery to the motor, or something? Perhaps I'll try that this weekend and see if it helps.

I'll give up my opinion on this:

First, AMPERAGE has little or nothing to do with the problem. I agree with the system running at a lower voltage does have an effect, but you need to look at the other thing that controls the speed: the delay unit. It not only puts you in slow or high-speed mode, but controls the intermittent delay. Remember that when you press the washer button, it swipes 3 times, then stops? That the electronic unit for you.

I would probably bet that there's some oxidation iin ther that's not letting the voltage get to the motor. This could be confirmed by putting battery voltage directly to the motor.

ANYBODY GOT A PIN-OUT FOR THE WIPER-MOTOR CONNECTOR?:o

my too sense. lol

lol i sense a smartass!

:D

I took a closer look at it today, was going to take it out, but decided it too much a pain in the butt.

I'm just gonna head over to a junk yard with my friend next week... See if i can find an old honda motor. I really don't see y it's so hard to put a different motor in, there is TON's of room compared to modern vehicles. I might have to fab a piece to mount it to the bars in there... thas about it... oh well we'll see what i end up with... money is tight.

I'll keep you informed

I have a '77 280Z. It works intermittent, slow, and fast. I live in Texas where we have "frog choker" rainstorms and, except under the worst downpours, they work fine. I find coating the windshield with Rain-Ex allows me to run at 45+ without them at all but they generally do fine. The only time they seem to 'drag' is when it is barely misting and the windshield is pretty dry and the wipers have new, soft blades.

Last post was November 2003 - am I as informed as I'm gonna get?

Yes. Unfortunately, that's the way most of these inquiries go. A few people suggest aftermarket alternatives, a few folks suggest cleaning and re-lubing the 30 year old parts, and a few admit to knowing nothing. :D

Every now and then a real gem surfaces, but in this case it's a long-known problem with no known satisfactory resolution.

Personally, I like the idea of using a step-up transformer to run the motor at 18 volts! :shock:

TomoHawk,

Are you saying there are special switches to park the wiper arms contained within the motor housing itself? Is this normal, or unusual. Does anybody know of any other cars which did this?

My wipers are dead slow to just plain dead :>)

Interestingly enough, I bought the car in CA in January of 2003 and my pal John Dozier and I flew out to drive her home. We fit neatly bewteen two weather fornts and despite having a bottle of RainX with us, 'never' ahd to turn on the wipers! What's more, the bright red Ferarri GTO cruised all the way to North Carolina with a 1989 CA tag and we never got stopped . . . despite getting the once over by troopers on the go in AZ, TX, MS, GA, and NC :>)

Are you saying there are special switches to park the wiper arms contained within the motor housing itself? Is this normal, or unusual. Does anybody know of any other cars which did this?

Just about all cars do this. It's why your wipers don't stop in the middle of the windshield when you turn the switch 'off'. This 'switch' is an arc of metal attached to the side of the main gear of the wiper transmission. When the wiper switch on the stalk is turned on, the gear moves, and a metal finger inside the wiper transmission makes contact with this arc of metal, conducting voltage to the motor. Until this arc completes a full cycle, the motor will continue to spin. This makes the wiper arm stop at the same place every time.

You'll see what I'm talking about when you take yours apart to clean and lube it. ;)

Scott

I think that the intermittant relay is just a fancy form of a turn signal flasher & relay in one box. Since there is only 1 intermiitamt "speed" I started thinking that it uses a bi-metallic thingy to time the wipers, which would explain why it's such a long delay on the old units. And, since there is lots of corrosion in the connectors/wires, it adds to the resistance slowing the delay down even more.

Otherwise, I think the delay would be only a second or two.

Well guys sorry to keep you hanging. The 94 Honda accord wiper motor is very easy install. I am very happy with the results. Currently i do not have the intermitten part hooked up, but i do not care to hook it up either. I have wipers!!! :P Anyways the install is very clean ground out the wiper arm a little to match the angle of the wiper motor bolt on the accord. Bought a nut from sears couple washers... bam wipers. 3spd wipers. With a lifetime gaurentee on the motor. Does it get much better? the Honda motor even uses the same screws as the Z motor to mount it! just have to redrill on the plate. New fast wipers 120 bucks... i'm very happy.

-Ed

Yes, please post pictures and a diagram! I will buy a wiper motor as soon as I return from my trade show this weekend. This is great news. What would be invlved in making the intermitent work . . . does anybody know how? Electrical circuits and wiring are NOT my strong suit.