HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

Dave,

You are correct. The Z motor has the tab that acts as a switch. Once the power is shut off, it cycles one last time and then breaks the contact and stops in the park position. The Honda motor does not seem to have this feature, so the timming has to happen some other way. I could not figure it out, but I did not try very hard. I don't see it as an issue to park them manually. BTW, I got my Honda wiper motor for $20.00 at the local JY.

I posted some pictures of the finished product in my gallery here...Can't figure out how to link it here. If you want to look, it is under my user name; het976.

I welded up the left over holes and powdercoated the bracket. You can see the notch that has to be cut and the squared off shaft to mount the existing Z wiper mechanicals. If you want other pictures and I can take some or if you have any questions...this is into a 5/71 build date car.

OK, now I really gotta get one. I'll call the yards tomorrow and go from there. There has to be Something in the Honda motor that tells that wire or relay or circuit where the motors gear is at. A timing circuit is not applicable when there are so many Variables like low voltage, gear slippage, power surge's and the such.

I do my best to figure this out, I LOVE A CHALLENGE and rarely back down from one until I figure it out.

Dave.

Dave, I have the Honda motor already attached to the oem bracket, and would like to know if you could use it to figure out the intermitten/ self park feature for us....

I have picture links in post #87 on page 3 of this thread.

I'll loan it to you if you feel like taking on that challenge... :burnout:

8113Im000980.jpg

The Honda motor has the same thing in it, however, it doesn't have the relay system set up on it like the Z motor had. The auto park relay feature is a sepearate system on the Honda cars, while the relay was built right on the Z motor. I was not able to figure out how to wire up the relay to get this feature to work.

I too got my Honda motor from an online junkyard, and with the wiring diagram of the Honda system, it shows the auto park with the intermittent system as an external assembly. The links to the Honda wiring daigrams is somewhere in this thread, but I will email them to you Dave. And hopefully we'll be able to get something figured out this weekend.

Justin

Here are some pics of the honda motor park relay:

This is what the relay looks like on the inside.

S1010009-1.jpg

The contacts in the gear.

A1010007.jpg

The relay is the black box with the two wires coming out of it (green and green/black).

S1010001.jpg

You can see by the above pictures that there are contacts that are made and broken inside by the rotation of the gear past the contacts of the relay, this is what allows the motor to park in the same spot each time.

This is the tab and gear on the stock 240Z wiper that actuates its relay.

S1010006.jpg

The following is a quote I took from some information I found while searching the web for answers to this problem we are having.

The theory behind the parking circuit is that when the power is disconnected from the motor it has inertia and continues to spin as it slows down. As the motor slows down it effectively becomes a dynamo generating a voltage in the windings. By shorting the windings the dynamo is being asked to supply a very high current, this places a heavy load on it, this stops the motor very quickly and this achieves a very predictable parking position. The park switch “electricallyâ€, remains in the PARK position for only 10% of a revolution and in the RUN position for remaining 90%.

Dragonfly

I almost forgot to add these to this thread...

WIRING.jpg

74WiperRelay.jpg

The above are from the FSM for a 74' 260Z. I do have some additional information but I am not posting it up here at this time to avoid confusion. After I have a chance to work the whole thing out and give a difinitive step by step I will post everything up, or anyone who would like to beat me to it (which would not be hard to do as it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can actualy start on it) can send me a PM asking for the info and I will PM it to you.

Dragonfly

Hey J.

How are those LED tail lights, now that you have an alternator making them brighter?

I just realized that it was you, the 260Z LED Taillight guy. Never heard back after you got the car up and running and I finished those tail lights just over a year ago.

Dave.

Well I'm off to the garage to look at those motors again.

Okee Dokee folks, I bought a 91 civic wiper motor yesterday, tore it apart, wrote down everything I needed to know, put it back together, wired up a relay and Vwohlaaa...... I SOLVED THE PARK PROBLEM.!!!

So I put the relay and the wiring into a Radio Shack Hobby Box and called it Mine.

Anyone interested?

Video of the motor parking after the switch is turned to off, several times.

DSC04291_thumb.JPG

Hey J.

How are those LED tail lights, now that you have an alternator making them brighter?

I just realized that it was you, the 260Z LED Taillight guy. Never heard back after you got the car up and running and I finished those tail lights just over a year ago.

Dave.

Well I'm off to the garage to look at those motors again.

Yep, its me..... here are a few shots of the LED tail lamps you did for me.

click-em

dcp0749us7.th.jpg

running lights with flashers on

dcp0748xz2.th.jpg

brake lights on

dcp0747uf7.th.jpg

just running lights

no brake lights

I'd like to get my Honda wiper motor working. I want to know if you can make it work off a toggle switch I will put in the center console?

Have you figured out the intermittent yet?

$45 bucks.

Just kiddin, but it is a moral delima. sell the idea and give my kids a decent Christmas. Or be the nice that I usually am (Electrical Hero) and share the idea here and also offer a premaid kit that only requires the buyer to purchase the little black box - get it home, connect the wires to the box Via butt connectors with the correct color wire already there.

But I will make a diagram and post it here along with a written instruction just in case the picture dissapeer like all the others on this forum.

70' Datsun 240Z ________________ 91' Honda civic wiper motor

blue/white------------pin 85 ________ Pin 87A-------blue/white

blue------------------pin 87 ________ pin 30---------blue

Blue/red--------------pin 85-------pin 85-------green/black

Black------------------------to----------------black

Blue/yellow------------------to----------------blue/yellow

That's it, Use a 30/40 or a 20/30 12 Volt automotive relay.

I will offer the upgrade box but keep in mind that the wiper motor must be in operating condition in order for the relay to work, I had to rebend the contacts in the honda's gear area too make sure everything had a Solid contact, in order to carry the negative signal to the blue white wire.

The pics below will show the tabs on the lower half of the center spinner, I lifted it a little to make room for the rebending of the metal tab. To check and make sure you bent them correctly, use and ohms meter like this.....

on the inside of the gear box, with the top off,

The green/black wires both connect to the smaller outer ring (closest to the wires.

The Black wire is the bigger outer ring.

The blue/white wire is the inner solid ring.

First, Clean all the old blackend grease off the 2 rings. Replace the grease with some from the gear box AFTER you've tested as described below.

Connect your ohms meter to the blue/white wire and connect the other meter lead to either green/black wire. Slowly turn the center spindle by hand (SLOWLY!!!) and watch for any disconnects as the tab slides acrocc the smaller outer ring. if it stayed at (0) Zero, then you did good. if not, try again but be carefull not to break the tab off or you're screwed.

NEXT move the meter to the black wire and do the same for the larger outer ring.

Please double check all wires and if some one tries this on an accord motor and it works, PLEASE post your individual results.

Dave.

DSC04286_thumb.JPG

DSC04287_thumb.JPG

DSC04297_thumb.JPG

I'd like to get my Honda wiper motor working. I want to know if you can make it work off a toggle switch I will put in the center console?

Have you figured out the intermittent yet?

First picture ain't working. Just FYI.

I think you would need a timer or intermitent wiper (TIMER) thingamajig.

I would honestly be worried about the little wires on the aftermarket intermittent wiper units. They are small and are usually used in conjuction with a car that has relays for the wiper speeds. But the 240Z's have FULL amperage running thru switch and wires all the way to the wiper motor.

So we're talking 5 to 15 amps surges running thru the aftermarket intermittent unit. And possibly having a melt down, and that's the main reason I do what I do, preventing fires and such in the 240Z's.

As for an aftermarket wiper control switch for the center console, I'd get a 3 position switch, OFF-LOW-HI (OFF-ON-ON) make sure the blue/white has the same negative signal as the LOW AND HI WIRES AND AT THE SAME TIME. If the blue/white stops giving signal to the relay, it'll kick the motor into "final sweep" and thats's not a good thing when the motor already has a lo or hi signal.

Maybe use a diode from the blue wire to the blue/white on the relay. (white stripe on the diode towards the blue/white wire.

Dave.

Okee Dokee folks, I bought a 91 civic wiper motor yesterday, tore it apart, wrote down everything I needed to know, put it back together, wired up a relay and Vwohlaaa...... I SOLVED THE PARK PROBLEM.!!!

So I put the relay and the wiring into a Radio Shack Hobby Box and called it Mine.

Anyone interested?

Video of the motor parking after the switch is turned to off, several times.

Dave I like the way you boxed that up, it looks good. I see the motor that you got looks a little different than the one I got, but I don't remember what year the one I got came from all I know is it was an Acura.

Dragonfly

Dave, I'm willing to pay you for this. Its been unresolved here in this thread for a long time. I think you deserve compensation....

I'd like this to be simple for me as possible, so if you want to hook me up with a step by step guide, and help me with it, I'll send you a paypal for your troubles....

Please PM me if interested.

joel

help with what, The intermittent wipers?

I'll start looking into it and go from there. I am so far behind on my orders right now, I gotta get my butt in gear and stop playing with wipers for a few days. But I'll get on it asap.

And besides, I can't take paypal anyways, NO bank.

Dave.

I sent you a PM

help with what, The intermittent wipers?

I'll start looking into it and go from there. I am so far behind on my orders right now, I gotta get my butt in gear and stop playing with wipers for a few days. But I'll get on it asap.

And besides, I can't take paypal anyways, NO bank.

Dave.