HybridZ

smog removal?

Guest Anonymous

Guest dustyz

haynes manual

and make sure you know how everything works and what it does before you go removeing it

(thanks mudge :wink: )

dustyz

Guest vodkaboy

why do you want to take off all the smog stuff?

you follow the myths that EVERYTHING smog related is bad for the engine, and lowers HP? sure, gut your cat or put in a test pipe (although high flow cats arent even all that bad), but when you remove EGR, your essentially increasing combustion temperature and thus, ware. Your EGR isnt on when you need the most power, on acceleration, it only pops itself on when you start cruising at a constant speed/throtle, making you slightly more efficient, less poluting, and more reliably. If you want to talk about the exhaust runners in later heads, they really arent as restrictive as everyone says they are...

• 7 months later...
Guest wolf66

So lets say you leave the EGR on, what else can come off?

How about the fast idle for AC, the BCDD, the vacuum switching valve(tranny controled advance), the dash pot, and the BPT valve?

Which of those are better left on and which can go on the shelf?

Guest dpiatkin

be careful stripping away smog equipment !! some engines are designed to run with this crap in place and will not run properly without it....... some smog is now integral to the engine and EFI....

That is not to say that YOUR car is designed this way just that I have found several of my cars were(they are not Z's) when I tried peeling smog pumps and vaccuum lines etc.... Just be careful and take it slowly

smog schmog, I say rip it all off if you feel you need to. Z car will function right without, but I would keep pcv system intact, but thats about it.

NO smog equipment on the turboz, and it starts up on a cold morning with .5 seconds of key time, after I pressurize the fuel system that is.

I would start with one system at a time, pulling each vac line off and blocking it off and seeing what happens. Got to be more careful on the cars with a lot of options, you dont want to lose cruise control or the heater just to get two vac lines out of the way.

• 5 years later...

i have a ealry 260z and im on the fence between taking the smog stuff and leaving it off.

it seems like none of my smog stuff is even connected to anything electrically related.

correct me if im wrong but i followed almost everything smog related and all it seems to do is cycle exhaust air with clean air... tubes leading from intake manifold to exhaust...

if i weld some of the basic stuff shut and leave the vacuum related components intact there shouldn't be any major changes right?